1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I did, and it wasn't. This was less than a week ago, was it fixed that recently?

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well got my tower here at work. tinkering with it with big will. got into the bios and figured out that i didn't know what i was looking at to set the multipliers and such.

i increased my fsb up a little to 350(from333) not to much. put the CPU at 3.15mhz. it did increase the mem but i slowed it back down it went up 1200(600x2) i backed it down with the mem multiplier to 3.0 and the mem is running at 1050 just a little under 1066.

3.15 is a long way away from 3.6 but im in no hurry

tell me if this is the correct way of doing the OC???as far as the mem goes. when i bump up the CPU i should try and get teh mem back to factory specs??

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Set your CPU Vcore to 1.4, your FSB to 400, Multi to 9x and your memory multi to 2x. Try setting your memory timings to 5-5-5-15. Also set your memory voltage to +.2v

Sam, this is 8.1, not updated so I don't know why mine stopped having that problem. I used to have the link problem too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i set the fsb to 400 and it went haywire.rebooted and had me back at 3.0ghz
    changed the mem to 4-4-4-12 and now it shows my mem as DDR2-800(PC2-6400)

now what?

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

WTF!!!

i got the cpu back to 3.0 9x multi
    but the mem still reads DDR2-800 not DDR2-1066

do i need to shut it down take out the mem and put it back in?

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's weird, are you not using 1066Mhz memory?

Try the exact same thing with 5-5-5-15 as the timings.

Can you post all the settings you are using?

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea its 1066 mem.showd it as so until i changed the timings to 4-4-4-12.
    now i changed them back to 5-5-5-15

but i had to change the multi to 3.20 to get it running at the 1066
    but in CPUz and everest it shows as ddr2-800

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's because it IS DDR2 800 memory. It's just rated to run overclocked at 1066mhz, but it's still the same DDR2 800 module

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, do you have a camera handy? Post a picture of your settings. 3.6 Ghz overclock is child's play for your parts, you should be having NO problems.

I'm on a E6750 and PC-800 memory and I can get to 3.83 Ghz without breaking a sweat. So I think you might be messing up some settings somewhere.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that dont make since??? why did it say 1066 all the way up to when i changed the timeings? even when i bumped the cpu up a little and set it back down it still said 1066?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

when i took it up to 400 fsb changed the timing to 4-4-4-12

hit f10 to save. it rebooted.stoped then rebooted a second time and came back setup as 333fsb and 3.0ghz but the mem was set at 800

i dont have a cam or anything right now im at work...

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im gonna shut it down emove the mem then reinstall and see what i get

or do i need to clear cmos?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

agreed, that's also a couple things I don't like about gigabyte bios's. you have to adjust the memory voltage and multiplier and then reboot and then use a proggy such as everest or cpu-z to check the voltage and frequency. with asus bios's they actually give you choices for the memory voltage eg. 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and so on. they also actually give you choices of memory frequencys dependant on what the cpu frequency is instead of memory multipliers. same difference except asus gives the actual memory frequency (multiplier figured in) where as gigabyte just gives you different multipliers.

Rob,

that's why I emphasized that you increase the cpu frequency in steps. I always get everything else in the bios set where it needs to be including the memory timings and voltage prior to doing any OC'ing and I also go ahead and up the vcore a bit as well. I wouldn't go as high as 1.4v with that chip unless you're intending on doing a major OC. see how stable it is at a lower voltage as you can always increase it more if needed.

to many chiefs here and not enough indians. to many ppl giving you advice on OC'ing, some bad imo. I'll step away. I wish you the best and good luck.

14. e_jones

e_jones Guest

I plan to use a pair of extreme spirit II's for the northbridge and southbridge for my a8n32-sli. The end of the heatpipe though? what do I use for that? what is what it covers called, chipset?

http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3826&catid=131

this shows the heatpipe I want to replace. the rectangle at the end is what I am wondering about.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol Alright I'll stop now. But just as a reference this is what I have my settings at.

FSB: 450Mhz
    CPU Multi: 8x
    Memory Multi: 2x(so it's 900mhz at 4-4-4-12)

CPU VCore: 1.4
    Memory Voltage: +.2(so it's at 2.0v)

C1E and EIST are off. Everything else is left alone and it's been stable on the stock cooler. I'm using a E6750, and PC-800 ram.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

e_jones I'm sure that you and herrick are tired of me and my advice. ;) I think the rectangular "heatsink" covers the mosfet area of the mobo. Of course the other 2 are the NB and SB. ;)

@Mort,
    Can you answer this question to make sure. You know much more about ASUS mobo's than I do and I thought you had one of these at one time. ;) tia...

....gm

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'm not saying he can't up his cpu frequency to 400 or higher, even 450 but do it in steps keeping the memory freq at or under its rated speed until he reaches hi target cpu OC. then he can try OC'ing the memory as well. 333 or in his case 350 to 400 was obviously way to big of step.

you might as well keep helping cause he wasn't listening to me anyway. from now on, anybody wanting my assistance OC'ing will have to PM me and I will then decide if I want to help them. I've tried to help too many times in the open forum and then been ignored only to see the person later have problems.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know what I think this is my fault. I told him to put the memry voltage to +.2, but that would only give him 2v and you said that his memory is rated at 2.2v. So maybe he should try +.4v?

Mort, I'm sure he was listening to you.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its back to normal now.. im done with it

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aubuzar1,
    That's not a very wise post on the open thread. Especially with all the newbies! PM stuff like that, please! I do 3 or 4 a month just like that, with the bios tied in a knot! They turn the memory multipliers way up and poof! It finally sits there for hours turning on and off, over and over again! I charge $50 to fix it which is $35 less than the local shop. Takes about 10 minutes! LOL!!

As you can see by the posts that followed that quote, it was the wrong thing to say! Setting it to those setting and getting it to those settings are two entirely different things!

cincyrob,
    You probably forgot to lower the memory multiplier to 2.0 for the lowest possible memory speed. If it was me, I would clear the bios and go from there. Just pull the battery and the PS AC Plug for about 5-10 minutes! My next step up would be up to 367 on the FSB and 3.2GHz. The memory will be running at 734MHz and out of the way for the moment. Turn off EIST and C1E, and be sure to set the memory to manual and the multiplier to 2.0!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.