1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

there's part of the problem. the rated timings for that memory is 5-5-5-15.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I ran some PC-8000 Crucial Ballistic memory at 4-4-4-12 at 1000mhz, that's why I said it.

I'm sorry guys, I guess I don't do things slowly like you guys. I practically put these settings in the moment I got my PC running. Small steps just aren't for me.

Sorry for all the trouble I might have caused.

3. e_jones

e_jones Guest

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Sounds right, you're well on the way to an extreme overclock! :)
    PC8500 CAS5 memory is officially rated at 800mhz if you set it to CAS4. You have to manually force it not to use those settings. That's a problem I've had with RAM in the past. It won't go to CAS4 without a fight! lol

Mort: It's a sufferable setback considering how poor the last motherboard I had was for overclocking in general, at least now I don't have to "change some numbers and pray" like before. I prefer it this way round! A mate's Striker Extreme seemed just as unpredictable. nforce chipsets perhaps?

Abuzar: Not all memory overclocks the same, just like CPUs. I was surprised to see how far you got with those sticks at CAS4. Rob's may not be quite as good.

e_jones: ASk thermalright themselves, they're usually pretty good at telling you what their stuff is and isn't compatible with.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok how do i or where do i see my actual voltage for the mem? i thought it was in everest (dimm) that was at 2.02v
    so i went into bios and changed the voltage to +.2v and it is still the same?

i cant seem to find a actuall reading of the voltage for the mem. or i just dont know what im looking at.

sorry to sound so dumb guys. im still learning here.gotta remember im just a dumb washed up Jock that wants to be a puter geek(and please dont take offence to that casue i dont mean any buy it)

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, no offense taken mate! Seriously, we've guided so many down this path there's nothing to be ashamed of, if there's something you don't understand, it's us that need to apologise to you for not explaining it properly!
    As for the memory voltage, I primarily use it on automatic, but I don't overclock the RAM much, so I've had no need for any additional voltage.

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have it on auto now. but how do i know what it is getting? i was told it needed to be at the rated volts of 2.2 and i dont know if it is at that or not?

on another item...i have the thermaltake fan on my side panel pluged into the PSU running full tilt.. sounds like one of them small gas powered hang gliders...lol but it does the job
    mobo is at 27c
    cpu is at 21c

now here is another question i have. how come it says CPU is at 21c then it shows the 2 cores and they are 40c and 41c bouncing back and forth a degree or 2???

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One of the inherent problems with fans lit with LEDs (the Thermaltake ones especially) is that they have clear plastic frames rather than solid black, grey etc. The material they use for the transparent frames is quite brittle, and picks up a lot of vibration, so what makes it sound like a petrol glider (i like the analogy! hehe) is in fact the resonance through the plastic, not the actual fan's motion. You could attach it using rubber gromets and probably reduce the noise it makes by quite a bit, that and/or use a 4 pin to 3 pin adapter to plug it into your motherboard if you've got any slots left...
    On the memory voltage, I'm not really the best person to ask as I've never dabbled with it. I'll have to wait until I get back to my PC this evening (c. 10:30pm GMT) to check myself, and I'm sure in that time, someone else will come along... :)
    On the CPU temp, it seems suspiciously low. The core temperatures will jump around a bit, that's normal, and their temperature looks fine, but CPU being 21 seems a little on the low side. If it's quite cold in your room that's quite reasonable but if not, I'm dubious...
    My motherboard tells me it's chipset temp is 21C though, and I can tell you from touching the heatsink that it's nowhere near!

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ok, if you want to run ut at 2.2v you will have to set it to +.4v.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

funny you say that about the heatsink.. i touch mine and its like im putting my hand in the fridge.it has no heat to it. well none to make you think it is hot.... and the mem is very cool also. i know the reveiws on this mem is that it gets warm to the touch.

i used the stress test in everest lastnight for a hour and not much of a change. i saved the results ill post them once i get the other (new build) online here shortly

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What?

BTW Rob, I've read the ballistic runs better at 2.1v then 2.2v. One guy had three sets and this is what he said.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My CPU is like that, but the chipset's a different story. Not blistering hot like the P5N-E, but hot nonetheless.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

here is a couple pics of the bios i just took and its settings

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2768.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2769.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/100_2770.jpg

on the last pic the system voltage control i changed back to auto and it went green again and it shows the mem voltage as +.4v is this correct? or should i have left the system voltage control to manual?

15. e_jones

e_jones Guest

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cincyrob: looks fine, check the real value in everest.
    e_jones@ I'd give them a mail about it, they only mention recent boards on the website, so yours may still be compatible.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try +.3v because people say that works pretty good.

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so shouldi have left the system voltage control at manual?

and in everest where do i look for the mem voltage?

does the term (DIMM) mean the mem?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My bad, not everest, the hardware monitor posted earlier should tell you.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i do have to leave the system voltage control set as manual for the +.4v to work right. here is what i got now.

Hardware monitor
    -----------------------------------------------------

ITE IT87 hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 0 1.18 Volts [0x4A] (CPU VCORE)
    Voltage sensor 1 2.21 Volts [0x8A] (DDR)
    Voltage sensor 2 3.38 Volts [0xD3] (+3.3V)
    Voltage sensor 3 4.95 Volts [0xB8] (+5V)
    Voltage sensor 7 12.03 Volts [0xBC] (+12V)
    Voltage sensor 8 3.07 Volts [0xC0] (VBAT)
    Temperature sensor 0 30°C (85°F) [0x1E] (TMPIN0)
    Temperature sensor 1 22°C (71°F) [0x16] (TMPIN1)
    Fan sensor 0 1951 RPM [0x15A] (FANIN0)
    Fan sensor 1 620 RPM [0x440] (FANIN1)
    Fan sensor 2 1114 RPM [0x25E] (FANIN2)

and the (DIMM) is the mem... it shows it in everst also and now shows it as 2.21v

oh yea im on the bigredmachine...lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.