1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Man lots of activity since last night. ;)

Rob you can use HWMonitor or Coretemp to verify your temps and such. ;) Looks like you're still in AUTO mode for your voltages. ;)

e_jones sam knows something about the thermalright coolers so a call may be in order. ;)

boozer remember that rob is using PC2-8500 RAm NOT PC2-8000. :D

@Mort81,
    So if I PM you will you help me?? :D

....gm

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Looks like you're all set. Give that a try, and if you run into issues, go with +0.3V for 2.1
    Gm: Lots of activity? There always is in this thread! Imagine my shock when I went away for a week and came back to find 15 pages of thread had appeared in my absence!

As for the HR-09, I don't use it personally, but there are seemingly two versions out there, all I can suggest is to have a detailed look at your setup and see whether the slanted or upright version is best.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman.
    yes it was still in auto thats why it didnt change even after i set it up to +4v. i went back in and changed it to auto and is now running at the 2.2v

im running the system stability test on everest right now on it. its been running for about 45mins now. im gonna go to the store and check it and post what is has for it when i get back

think im gonna leave it @ 3.30ghz 367 fsb and the mem at the 918mhz for a few days. do some burning on it leaveing it on for some time instead of turning it off....leave it like i do normally..lol

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's it, the best test of how your settings stack up is doing what you do every day!

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, you would think PC-8500 ram from the same company and the same brand would OC better than PC-8000 ram, no?

7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    The memory voltage is shown in the PC Health section. If Everest Corporate is showing 2.2v for the memory, then your good! That's the rated voltage for your memory!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

since it's been a while since I was in a gigabyte bios, what are the available options for memory dividers. I know there is 2.0 2.5 3.0 etc. but do they offer 2.75 as a divider?

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I want that case, I'll buy the rest in parts ;)

That PC is seriously overpriced.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Morty... ;)

This is what my P35_DS3P mobo shows available.

2.0, 2.4, 3.2, 3.33, 4.0+, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0~ (the + represents 800 strapping while the ~ represents 1066 strapping)

You getting ready to help me?? :D

@boozer,
    I think the problem is trying to run the PC2-8500 RAm so tight. If it's loosened up to 5-5-5-15 it should run those numbers just fine I would think. Sorry but I know very little about this and my RAM (PC2-8500) wouldn't stay stable at those speeds with that timing. Of course that was at about 3.75 or so. hth....

....gm

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I know but I ran my sticks at 4-4-4-12 at 1000mhz. Maybe I just got lucky.

13. herrick

herrick Regular member

@greensman

never tired of your words of wisdom...bro

14. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    That's what happens when you get a good match of components. I had a 3.0/800 P4 running on a great but ancient P4P800 SE MB to 3.94GHz on air! Everything was a perfect match! 3 stage power regulation killed any hope of the then, magic 4.0! Ran out of motherboard! LOL!! Smoked it! Settled for 3.73GHz with the replacement MB. Same thing with the D-940! After going through far too much crap with Asus, I am the proud owner of the very last P5P800 SE MB, the last one made before the production stopped! I easily got to 4.1GHz with it as the final Revision was the first to fully support Dual Cores. Still, even with heavier-duty power regulation, it was still 3 phase so I settled for everyday 3.83GHz. Still runs perfect. Lately it's seen more A.O.E. time than anything! LOL!!

Believe me you will know when you've achieved something where everythings not quite meshing, You'll know! The computer has a different feel to it, it's not as smooth and comfortable the more you push it. The sweet spot isn't quite where you'd expect it to be! Right now My progress is stopped because I need a couple of sticks of good 1066 memory to run everyday 3.8GHz. Right now 3.5GHz is it's sweet spot. In spite of slowing down the CPU, I've recovered all but a hair of the performance by fiddling around with some of the lower memory timings. I only lost .152ms with SuperPi and still comfortably under 15 seconds and my memory bandwidth has fattened up 5000+MB/s, which is where the speed came from. Improved thruput!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's funny you should say that, I swear my PC ran faster when at 2.66 when I had the P5N-E than 3.0.
    3.15 on the Gigabyte though, a lot faster than either.

Ahhh, a proper PC at last. What a world of difference it makes!

17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Cincyrob

i'm back up and running at 3.12Ghz slowed the memory down to 390mhz..not that much the cpu is at 21c..I only oc'd it 17%
    [​IMG]
    i'm happy 4 now..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.2Ghz is about as far as you can go with PC6400 RAM before overclocking it. Once you confirm the RAM's running at 2.1V, slowly up the speed from 400 until you reach a sticking point.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You have good ram, it should be good till, at least, 900mhz.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok fella's here we go. bumped it up a tad last night took it to 3.4ghz and increased my vcore to 1.35v it acted a little funny kinda paused for a second and then went on to load XP. the screen flashed like i havent seen it do before, but i dont know if its just this silly little monitor im useing. then when i tried to open a few programs it kinda paused again.

so i backed it down to 3.33ghz and put the vcore back to 1.225 normal setting. and it seems ok right now.. i did run the orthos stress test on it last night ran about 6 1/2 hours i got the screen shot of it. alnog with a few others

ORTHOS
    CPUz
    EVEREST
    HWM

EDIT to add:
    hey BigWill you gonna tell them what happened???lol(EPMD)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.