1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Hardware monitor is pretty much spot on with Everest, I think I will start using HM instead of Everest for the sensors for now on.

Nice going Rob!!!

2. Random5

Random5 Member

Hey all, I've been following Rob's adventures with great interest, see I have pretty much the same system, same mobo and the new E8400, so far I've pretty much had rob getting all my problems answered for me, (Cheers for that!). One problem left, I have different Ram OCZ Technology 2x2GB 240DIMM PC2-6400 Gold. Rated memory speed is 800Mhz, but its running at 400! And all the diag tools say its 400, do I just turn the multipier in the bios up to 800?
    Here is the specs, got it from dabs.ie.

CAS Latency
    CL5

Data Integrity Check
    Non-ECC

Form Factor
    DIMM 240-pin

Latency Timings
    5-5-5-18

Memory Specification Compliance
    PC2-6400

Memory Speed
    800 MHz

RAM Features
    Gold layered XTC heatspreader
    OCZ EVP (Extended Voltage Protection)

Registered or Buffered
    Unbuffered

Storage Capacity
    4 GB

Supply Voltage
    2.1 V

Technology
    DDR II SDRAM

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@random5

now i can answer some of these questions...lol
    it is 800mhz. you have to remember you have 2 sticks of mem.running at duel channels 400mhz each. 400x2=800mhz

i have the 1066 mem divide that by my 2 sticks and each one is at 533mhz that is what the programs are show is each stick not the 2 combined...from what i have been doing in the past couple days i would leave your mem as close to the rated speed and just OC you CPU

if i may quote you Mort81. take it in small step.your at 333mhz FSB now take it up to 350 first and let it run there and see how it reacts.makeing sure you put your mem back close to its rated speed each time you OC your cpu the mem gets bumped up automaticly.

if im wrong here please fill him in...lol

ok got a question myself.
    i dont know if it has to do with the build or not. everything seems to be running fine. except... ive Dl'd VSO's convertxtodvd.when itry and use it, it will be ok until i try to minimize it, it freeze's up the program that is. i have to stop it. is it cause of the OC or something or is it the program????

4. Random5

Random5 Member

Cheers Rob. I shoulda known that! I'll leave to over clocking for a while, its chewing up everything I throw at it without blinking at the moment so there is no real need. I'll be getting crysis next week so that may warrant a bit of OCing, think I'll just sit back and watch how you get on first!! lol, if you blow up your's I'll know what not to do!

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No it's not that each stick runs at half the speed, it's the memory multiplier used in the BIOS. If you are at 400 FSB and your multiplier is at 2.00, then 400x2 will give you your 800mhz speed. If the memory multi is 2.4 then 400x2.4= 960Mhz, etc.

6. Random5

Random5 Member

I'm confused, so I should change the multipler to 2.0 to get the rated speed?

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

2.0 is the lowest multiplier, that is what it is probably set to. If it says 400Mhz in CPUZ it's actually double that because DDR stands for dual data rate.

So say if you set the multi to 2.4 and your FSB is 400. Your actually speed should be 960mhz but something like CPUZ will show 480 mhz.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Mort81,
    This may not be the best place but I think I remember you saying something about needing some Verbs!! link to the EGG for Verbs

@rob,
    Did you see our buddy getting 4.0+ outta the E8400?? I swear that guy cheats somehow. hehehe. ;) How's your OC coming?? I know that your were searching for 3.4, did you make it? You may have to play with the multipliers for the RAM to stay stable. I'm sure you're in good hands but thought I would say that just in case. :D

@Random,
    How is that OCZ RAM working out?? Lots of people here have Crucial and Corsair but few have OCZ or mushkin... hmmmmmmmmmmm......

...gm

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's kind of academic for me, my CPU can only make 3.15Ghz at 1.4V...
    Rob: The XP loading screen will pause briefly on a lot of gigabyte motherboards if you overclock. It's just what happens, don't know why.
    Greensman: Doesn't that tell you something? OCZ and Mushkin is good, but everywhere I go seems to think Crucial and Corsair is that little bit better.

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well lookie here..
    mem

now its running fine at this speed.but i first used this settings and bunped my vcore volts up to 1.35 shut me down and put everything back to factory settings. so i went back in changed the freq to 390mhz got the mem on 3.0 mutli and left the vcore at 1.225 and its all fine right now.granted its only been like this for 15 mins

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its not that it pause it hesitated and had like some small squiggly lines across the middle of the monitor then once it got into windows it waited about 15 secs and shut down this time.

now that i set the vcore back to 1.225v it fired right up no hesitations.
    if you look at my mem. it has it loosend up a little it did that on its own i didnt do anything to that.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, that's a bit weird. Not sure about that...

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok now im really confused. im trying to burn a disc. i put a blank in my drive and anydvd doesnt see the disc.? ive tried 3 differnet media. so i opend clonedvd2 and went about to the burn part. getsto the writing stage and aske for a recordable disc???

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try different drivers for your DVD burner perhaps?

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

why would it all of a sudden not work after i had the failure anydvd said it had a error and wanted to report it??

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it worked before?
    It could potentially be a faulty drive...

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im at a loss here now. took the drive out and put it in my old system works fine????i unistalled the drivers for it the npowered down took unplugged the power to it then started over with it???

18. Random5

Random5 Member

Do other dvds work?

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea it will play dvds and actually im useing nero recode now and it is burning a disc...think i might need to uninstall anydvd and reinstall

20. Random5

Random5 Member

Greensman, the OCZ mem seems to be just fine, got crysis today and running it on all high settings (the very high settings are reserved for dx10 I presume, I have xp), highest res, and 4x AA and its perfect. Didn't get a fps but its really smooth. I was really expecting to see it struggle on this but its fine. This is some build.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.