1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice. I can get as far as 1280x1024 with 4xAA on high before the frame rate's hideous. I assume that's what you're using. There are tweaks you can use to up the detail level even higher out there on forums, and if you drop the shader and/or shadow quality to medium, you can run the game at the same frame rate as before. I personally prefer Crysis with the shadows off, because they look crap IMO.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What kind of GFX card are you using?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    The biggest problem I had with AnyDVD is it didn't get along with other programs I was using. It didn't like Fab Decrypter or DVD Decrypter and caused problems with them. I took it out completely about a year ago and haven't had any problems since. Generally I use RI4M which uses DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, and so far it's only failed twice! Once with Ultra-Violet and once with Shoot Em Up. Fab Platinum 3.1.2.6 took care of those two with no problems. I also have Fab Decrypter 4.0.3.2, which is the free version and copies HD as well. I got rid of all the DVD Burning programs, in favor of Nero, and I never have any problems processing the Rip with DVDRB/CCE and then burning the output file with Nero!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's funny, I almost never burn DVDs with third party programs, it's usually just nero. Mind you, I no longer burn DVDs, what with my only currently available DVD drive being starforced!

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

gm,

thanks for the heads up on the verbs. got em ordered.

6. Random5

Random5 Member

abuzar. i'm using the 8800gts, getting a bit of jumpyness in the multiplayer now, not sure if that is just lag or if the rig is under pressure. Great game by the way. Multi player will take of getting used to though, its bloody fast paced.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interestingly enough, I tried the demo of Audiosurf tonight. Gameplay is cool, but the game is so buggy it's not even funny. Half of that might be my graphics drivers but everyone else has issues too, so I'm not sure they're all to blame. Let's hope that gets fixed before I drop the six pounds on playing it. (Interestingly enough for each song I play the log records about 600 errors, most of them missing textures!)
    Downloading Catalyst 8.2 now to see if it restores being able to render 2D textures again...

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

didnt mean to leave ya'll hangin..lol i got anydvd running again had to uninstall it. and now it shows my blank media in the drive.
    iwhen i had the cpu up to 3.51 it crashed and anydvd reported a error so that was that problem...

now igot a new set of questions.
    my fans how can i control them? they are connected to the mobo.front top rear and cpu fan.
    the cpu fan is running at 1900rpms isnt that a little high? he top fan is @780rpms and the front and rear fans are about the same. 1200rpms.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@mort81

ive gotten everything like you told me except the vcore. i even went as high as 1.3625(docty idea) it kept crashing. so i have the vcore back down to normal which is 1.225. it seems fine there...or am i just not going high enough with the vcore? which dont make since if the 1.225 works?

[​IMG]

im gonna leave it where it is at right now for a few days and see how it acts.. once again jst gonna go about normal stuff i do on the puter..

sorry guys i know im way off topic here with my problems this is a building thread. and ive built it i will take all this over to the OCing thread..

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I can remember, most BIOSes leave all your fans running full speed by default. That said though, 1900rpm doesn't sound like full speed for a CPU fan (it's typically 2500-3000) so it may be scaled back, but just not far. If you go into your BIOS, there's a section on fan control that allows you to set at what temperature the fan should be at a certain settings. Not sure whether there's a gradient or just a few specific speeds, I've never used it on a Gigabyte board.

You can either do that, or use Speedfan to directly control your fans manually. That's always a nice, simple way to do it!

If increasing the Vcore by as much as 0.14V didn't solve stability problems, the CPU voltage isn't the issue. It's often wise to nudge the chipset voltage up slightly (+0.1V should be plenty) to aid with the high front side bus speed.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats just it. in my bios it shows the fans and the speeds but there isnt any way of changing them. at least i havent found a way...

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Speedfan then?

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

In your BIOS change your speed control to voltage(legacy I think) and then you can use Speedfan.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i cant find anywhere in my bios that says anything like that.
    i got speedfan on it now but it wont control any of the fans?????

heres a few pics of my bios

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/computerS001.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/computerS002.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/computerS003.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/computerS004.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/computerS005.jpg

a little blurry but you can make them out..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think "smart fan control" is what you're after, in the third picture, but if it's on auto, 1900rpm is very high. What are your temps?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Smart fan Control uses PWM(pulse width modulation). A lot of fans don't support it. The only good thing about PWM is that you don't have to reduce the voltage so if you have LED fans, they wont dim down when you reduce the fan speed.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Potentially, but I don't think I've ever seen a PWM fan. Presumably to get a really low speed the pulses would have to be too short to keep the LEDs on all the time, so you may still have that problem, I don't know.

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The stock intel fan is a PWM fan, so is the fan on the Freezer 7 pro.

Anyway smart fan control is PWM I think so that wont work for him.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Your Arctic Freezer 7 Pro had one, but your SLI board didn't support it. I have mine under PWM control, from the motherboard. It would seem that all 4 fan headers on the MB are all under some sort of temperature control. It was just a question of which did what! The Chassis, as it says in everest has my side 80mm Silverstone plugged into it with it's own speed control and it all works just fine! The 120mm in the back is set to 1300 rpm manually and the NB fan will crank up to 5000 rpm if it gets too warm. Soutwest corner room! BTW! See how "Generous" Silenx is! I buy 5 cfm 3000 rpm fan and I get a 5 cfm 5000 rpm fan. Oh, there was a note on the box where someone crossed out 3000 rpm with a Red magic marker, and stuck a little sticker with 5000 rpm on it! Imagine the dBA remained the same at 14, with 2000 more rpms! That's Engineering! ROFLMGO!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my chipset fans will turn nearly 7500 rpm. they are the loudest fans in my pc now that I don't regulate the gpu fan with atitool. the gpu fan winds up when I boot up but otherwise I don't hear it.

I tried slowing down my chipset fans with qfan but that also slows down my front and rear case fans. too slow for my rear oem 120mm coolermaster case fan (under 800 rpm). I can bump the speed back up to around 1200 rpm on my front case fan since it is a 120mm antec tricool. I ordered another tricool for the rear.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.