1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Can I have a Video card AND a video capture card?

2. Random5

Random5 Member

Bugger thats not good, here is the readings from everest and HWM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't make sense of this, shouldn't they both say 12V, Do I need to send this PSU back?

3. Random5

Random5 Member

Just checked it in the bios and it says the 12V is at 12.4V.....

4. hydro_x86

hydro_x86 Member

Right now I'm running at 3.2ghz and the voltage is set to 1.3v, it probably could go up some more. DDR2/3 voltage is +0.1. If i have Prime95 running 4 threads at 100% load my core temps don't go passed 65.
    If I push the system up to 3.4ghz or faster and run the same stress test my core temps get into the 70s.

What are you running your Q660 at?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Random5,
    Even that's a bit high! But a whole lot better than the almost a volt higher, that you were showing before!!

What kind of PSU you got? How many watts? My voltages stay either at of very near nominal and my 12v is at 12.06v. If I load it down, it stays right at 12v, 11.99 to 12.06v. I had a cheap PS once before and my voltages were high and all over the map! When you loaded it down running Orthos or OCCT the 12v would fall to 11.23v. Not very good! Also not good for the electronics either as lower load voltages mean more heat! I finally fried my MB!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. Random5

Random5 Member

Bugger, bugger, bugger. And I thought it had all gone so smooth. I'm using a OCZ Technology StealthXStream 600W Active PFC. I can return it if I need to but it will take ages. Ok, few questions if the forum has time to answer them i'd be grateful.
    What do the readings on everest and CPUID mean? 0.77V and 1.4V? Is that just plain wrong or does it mean something?
    Is it possible that the bios reading is wrong, these are supposed to be a good power supply?
    What should I do to be sure that the PS is faulty?
    If the PS is running at a constant 12.4V on the 12V rail is that really bad? Is it likely to damage other components?

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Random,
    First off don't panic. Let's look at this a little deeper. ;) Can you post your BIOS "health status" readings? I bet it looks a little better in the BIOS. A few of your "values" seem to be off in both (all three) monitoring programs.

To refresh my memory what mobo are you using? I'm impressed with that Samsung HDD tho, man that thing is COOL!! My guess on your readings is the mobo is sending out "false" values due to a BIOS tweak or non-compatibility between the mobo and the monitoring progie. NOT a worry as of yet.

Get back with us on this info and we'll try to determine the bothersome party. ;)

....gm

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

got the big red machine up and running at 3.42ghz stable. ran orthos for 11 hours and stable as can be. bumped up the vcore to 1.300v
    mem up to 1170 from 1066. tried to take it up to 3.51 didnt notice any problems but it wouldnt run in orthos. so i backed it down to 3.42ghz..

kinda got a new question/problem.
    my sata HDD its a 250gb. for 1 it is only showing 232gb.i know windows takes some like 7% or so,no biggie. but my free space says only 121gb's i dont have anything o her but windows and a few burning programs??? any ideas?

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob,
    Which version of Windows did you install? If it had SP1 it will NOT show the full capacity of the 250GB HDD. :( You have to install a version of Windows XP with SP2. I'm not sure if there is a work around for this. I've always installed with SP2 or the HDD was an addition so I was able to set it to the proper "space". lol. Of course that was with SP2 installed. :D

Any ideas gurus?

...gm

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it was a OEM version of windows home editon. i did have to install SP1 and SP2.can i uninstall sp1?

11. Random5

Random5 Member

Cheers greensman, don't worry I don't panic easy. It all seems a bit more sensible in the bios now, the 12V rail is reading 12.36V the 3.3V rail is reading 3.36V. Apparently 12.36V isn't actually that unusual for this PS, I looked at about a dozen reviews on various hardware sites and 3 of them had unloaded test voltages of 12.3V to 12.4V, and those reviewers didn't seem bothered by that, in fact they still gave it top marks. Word on these programs re voltage readings is that there is only 3 reliable ways of testing the PSU: Use a PSU tester (very expensive), use a voltmeter or multimeter (might do that tomorrow if I'm still worried), or the bios reading. If a program seems wrong its because more often than not the program IS wrong.

One of my co-workers is an electical engineer, her view was if a component is drawing 12V its the electronic equivalent of hitting it with a hammer and an extra 0.36 volts in a logic system shouldn't blow stuff up. I should be more worried if it said 11.64V

I'm using the GA P35C DS3R mobo, and the reason th HDD is so cool is because i had just turned on the PC and I had no heating on in the house!

So will I just keep and eye on it and assume its all ok for the moment?

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Random,
    LOLZ... ;) I didn't think you were panicking but the "bugger, bugger, bugger" was making me laugh. hehehe. :D

I agree on the progie reporting "false" info. It could be the BIOS needs upgrading or the progie just isn't reading the values correctly. I'm leaning toward the progie at this time.

I think you're ok but do keep an eye on things and look into a BIOS update/upgrade if you haven't already. good luck to you.....

....gm

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

i've been doin some reading in maximum pc magazine to find out a few things on over clocking and one thing they talk about was testing your cpu with a stress test after over clocking one they say use is prime95 or 3dmark06 they say that 3dmark06 is used in many overclocked systems that pass 3dmark06 burn-ins will actually fail under heavy cpu loads and people are tempted to use it..i also found out they took a pentium e2160 chip and oc'd it from 1.8ghz to 3.37ghz 85% overclocked, now a stock intel core 2 dou e6600 running at 2.4ghz eats up about 1.2 volts.to get the same cpu up past 5.6ghz,one overclocker increased the core voltage to 1.9 volts. now doe's specs go for the e6750 also as well that's my question?

here's a link on prime95
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

@Random5,

I have the same MOBO as you, and my 12volts from Everest are at 12.19.

15. Random5

Random5 Member

Must be the bios version I have....

BIOS Properties
    System BIOS Date 10/29/07
    Video BIOS Date 12/09/07
    Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Award BIOS Message Intel P35 BIOS for P35C-DS3R F6

Which one do you have?

16. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

BIOS Version F2
    Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Award BIOS Message Intel P35 BIOS for P35C-DS3R F2
    System BIOS Date 05/21/07
    Video BIOS Date 08/28/07

HTH.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Guys I need to record video from my Xbox. Can I use a video capture card to do this while I already have my 3850 installed?

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

you hav'in updated your bio's yet you should be at f10..I don't know what rev you have? i have the ep35c-ds3r,rev 2.1 came out with the f2 bio's just flashed to f3b with @bios.with no problem.and bump up the memory also to 468mhz a side timing at 5-5-6-6-22,that option left up to you..
    [​IMG]
    bio update..
    [​IMG]
    memory adjust..

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

@bigwill,
    Why are you running your memory so loose? I thought you had DDR2 800 RAM with 4-4-4-12 timings.... Just curious cause it should run faster at NEAR "stated" specs for that RAM. :)

...gm

@Random,
    I'm assuming you were addressing sytyguy on the mobo BIOS. I have the P35-DS3P mobo. I think the BIOS version for it right now is F9, BUT remember the BIOS updates are for MOBO SPECIFIC updates. You can't "cross flash" mobos.... bad things happen when you do that. :D

20. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Yes, I know, however for my E6750 chip I should be on "F4", and I have it, but been too busy to install it.

However, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.