1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random5

Random5 Member

Yeah, that one was aimed at sytyguy. Should have said that. Think i'll leave the bios for the mo, doesn't seem to be doing any harm at the moment. I'll download the latest one and keep it handy just in case.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Just for your own edification, you don't have to install SP1 first. Install XP and run SP2. I haven't tried that with SP3 yet, but I eventually will. Right now I'm just installing XP and then SP2 and finally SP3. I've been told that I need SP2 before you can install SP3, but you can throw away the SP1 as it's no longer needed!

greensman,
    His memory is running at 936MHz, something my DDR2 800 Ram won't do at any timings. Mine runs at 876MHz at 5-4-4-12 timings. It won't run with the cas set to 4. It crashes when XP starts (the Windows Logo screen appears) at 4-4-4-12. My memory bandwidth is in the 7800+MB/s range and will improve with faster memory at a higher FSB speed!

Overclocking is an Art, and overclocking memory is the Dark Art! A computer's speed is nothing more than how much work gets done in how many clock cycles! Anytime you can decrease the number of clock cycles you are doing more work in less time! It's time consuming as you have to try all those memory sub-timings one clock cycle at a time, but it's allowed me to slow down my computer to 3.5GHz, where it's not running so close to the edge all the time as it is at 3.55GHz. I got almost all the speed back (99.8%) that I lost by slowing it down, but it is noticeably quicker in function, and much smoother to boot.

I'm like most people here. I didn't plan on ever running my E6750 at 4.0GHz. I was stupid for even doing it to begin with, as if I had blown the CPU, it would have been an expensive lesson! 3.7 to 3.8GHz! That's my goal for an everyday 24/7 computer with my CPU! A good solid overclock!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've never recorded gameplay before, but many capture cards work independently of video cards. I know ATI has their All-In-Wonder series that is integrated but most cards let the video do its thing while acting much like a converter box on your regular TV. Make sure cards are compatible with your OS because they're picky. make sure it has the inputs you desire, most just take the typical coaxial cable.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Mort81 and anyone interested. ;)

Found this deal while surfing on a Thermaright Ultra 120 Rev A. link to Ultra 120 Just ordered one meself to try. :D

....gm

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's a pretty good price, how much was shipping? I remember when that used to be around 60 bucks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. greensman

greensman Regular member

It's still about $60 everywhere else. This company just has some great deals every now and then. :)

I got a few other items. Couple fans, some case screws, and some sata cables.... The total on shipping was $8.62. :)

You might be able to go there and see what shipping costs would be. ;)

...gm

link to the EGG on the Thermalright Ultra 120

looks like the heatsink factory has it in stock too... $46.99 on sale. :D link

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

wouldn't that be a long drive? lol

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well aren't we in a Comedic mood tonight. :p You been buying parts yet ZoSo, I remember you saying something about a "new" Intel build sometime soon. :D

...gm

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hopefully Intel pulls through with Nehalem by the end of this year. We're getting close to a recession and it's making everyone nervous.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

soon ,all i need is memory(4 GIG), mobo(Asus) and the Intel E8400 CPU,everything else i have

will post soon on what the model numbers are ,can't remember right off the top of my head

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i went into add/remove programs looking for SP1. couldnt find it in there doesnt show SP1 at all. does show SP2.
    on my C:drive i had 3 folders that was marked SP1 only thing in each of them was a update exe. i trashed them.i still am loosing 120gb's of space. say if i update to XP pro. does it over write this or just add onto it???

12. Random5

Random5 Member

As far as I know it you can't have two windows OS on on partition so it should overwrite the original xp. I have the same mobo as you, and I installed xp pro and couldn't get the sound to work on that OS. I have xp home on now, with SP2.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

to be honest i dont know if the sound works on here now. im on this old small monitor and it dont have speakers. gotta hook it up to the flat panel in the next 20 mins.

as for the xp pro. when iput it in, it will ask if iwant to update to xp pro. i wonder if that will fix my problem?

tried Oc'ing to 3.51ghz again. bumped up my vcore to 1.35 and my MCH up .1v everything locked up on me had to go back to original settings.i did update bios to F11 when it has a shutdown like that it automatic puts everything back to factory spec...nice failsafe there.. guess im stuck at 3.42ghz right now

14. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I suspect your drive is fine, but you possibly have some garbage leftover from the install.

Go into Windows Explorer, and right-click on your C: drive and select "Search", then click on "What size is it", then select "Specify size in KB" type in 100000, then select Search, and when it has finished select size at the top, twice, so it shows the largest to the smallest sizes.

The search will show in MB's the files which are larger than 100MB. Then it will be up to you as to whether or not you can delete them that are in the list......scary time!

HTH

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll bring some calm to this conversation, my Thermaltake unit puts out 12.4V as well... so far no incident.
    Rob: Unfortunately you HAVE to format the drive with the service pack already installed, I don't think you can expand the partition live.
    The only way I know of solving that problem is to reinstall XP using a different CD, one that already comes with the service packs.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well it looks like a reformat(wipe) it will have to be... i did the search for 100000kb in the C: drive onlything that came up was some vob files i have total of 8 gb not 121...lol

have to get me XP PRO going i guess ;)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, it's not something I've ever had to deal with personally. By the time I finally started using windows xp, service pack 1 had already been released and came with my first PC to have xp at all. I never bothered installing it on my first PC (P3 450, 128MB) because I didn't see the point. Then again, I'm one of the few people who risked dabbling with Me, as you might expect, I was hesitant to upgrade again.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I didn't know anything about ME until I already purchased the computer. I was very excepting of XP when it came out even with some of the bugs. lol. Of course I bought the disc that included SP1. That was some time ago and I still don't have a clue what I'm doing. ;)

:p @ cincy... ;)

...gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

outside of this version not showing all of my HDD. its perfect. igot convertxtodvd running right now,on the internet nad DLing some tunes and cant tell any slow down. convertxtodvd is converting a 707mg file and is at 28%done and only taken 6 mins...lol way faster than the 1-1 1/2 hrs before....lol

well that dont have anything to do with the OS,but it wouldnt let me run convertxtodvd on the other OS

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, may I suggest because it's not bogged down with windows updates? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.