1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    Zipzoomfly had it yesterday...and your right its out of stock...today...the one's on E-bay might be the way to go...if you are comfortable with E-bay...

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Lp531,
    Thanks for looking at these for cincyrob and accordlx. I'm learning as we go and really didn't know about the psu's because I don't have them and I'm definitely still learning. Thanks for the info on the rails and voltages wanted. :) As rob said you guys are great. ;-)

On the 20X burner, it has a similar chipset to the LH-18A1P but there is a few bad reviews from most of the sights that sell them. I think that CDRLabs and CdFreaks gives it a good review so who really knows. :)

"with no wiggle room" should be your new sig phrase. LOL.

.....gm

herrick I've had good luck with eBay but haven't purchased any computer parts. ;-)

3. accordlx

accordlx Member

Wow, you guys really know your stuff. Okay so I'm going to look through all the items that have been recommended and then make my decision. Thanks for all the help.

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

Do I have to go through Paypal or can I use my card? I am really not to sure about E-Bay?

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Depends on how the seller is set-up...probably safer with Paypal vs giving credit card number to seller...avoid "paypal certified only" sellers...thats how I got burned on E-bay...It only protects seller...they can ship you a rock...and paypal will do nothing...it only protects the seller... and screws the buyer...I my opinion it is the buyers who need protection...not the sellers...

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick what follows is a little search, so give it a go thru and see what you can find. lol.

eBay has it, looky

and a silver one...

And another one from an eBay store

at Amazon.com

might try going thru this too ;-)

hth in some way.....i was board so did some research for you...lol

.....gm

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

8. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

Hello All,

I've just wandered my way onto this thread and have enjoyed reading the posts that many of you have contributed. I too am a system builder but have since lost touch with some of the latest and greatest out there. From what I remember...if OC'ing(overclocking) is not taking into consideration, wouldn't running sticks of DDR2-533 (1066MHz) be more efficient than running sticks of DDR2-800 (1600MHz). I ask because if the C2D and chipset runs at a FSB(Front Side Bus) of 1066MHz it would be most efficient to travel at the same speed, a 1066MHz constant, throught the data "process" than creating a bottleneck from CPU (1066MHz) to mem (1600MHz) to chipset (1066MHz). Correct me if I'm wrong but that was the case when computers were still using PC-100 and PC-133 DIMMS. It all went back to things being synchronous and asynchronous. I know for sure that if what I say is still true, my system is definitely asynchronous.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  9. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

hey guys I've been planning this new PC of mine for awhile now and still havnt pulled the trigger yet, but I hope to get there soon. Whats really holding me up is which mobo to buy. Originally I just picked the Evga Nforce 680I but soon realized it wasnt realistic for my budget, aka I want a 8800gts lol. What im looking for is something around 150$ US. Im not planning on going to sli , and the rest looks like this: C2D E6400, OCZ Platinum PC2 6400 and Evga 8800gts...etc. I plan to do a modest OC. Onboard sound quality doesnt matter, already have a soundcard.

This the mobo I came up with so far:
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard ($176CAD/$150USD)

Any Help would be appreciated.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

esoteric1,
    Are you in Canada? If so it may take some time for us to find some deals for you since we all shop in the states. Nothing bad about that just not familiar with your online computer stores. :) If you have any other sites you frequent a link would be great, TIA. LOL.

.....gm

Hey I found some. lol.

ncix.com

central direct.com

Anitec.com

CompuSmart.ca

Canada Computers

Can computer

Ok I found them but have no idea which one is the best. :)

11. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

yeah Im up here in Canada.. It doesn't really matter which site you find it on since we have basically the same selection as you guy in the states. And if it costs a bit more up here it'll be fine.

I went on newegg and the mobo I linked above is on there
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

thanks for the rapid fast response lol

12. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

Geez I cant keep up with you. lol
    Cancomputer and ncix are the best in my opinion.

watch you reply before I can post this since "Newbies can't post more than one post every 3 minutes."

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK I found some deals but don't know exactly what you want but a $$$ figure. :)

asus at anitec.com

Intel at Canada Computers How's this store I kinda like it. :)

asus at Can Computer This store seems ok too.

asus at VibeComputers This one seems ok too.

asus at NCIX.com Even tho it's a SLi board you don't have to use it. This board has the nVidia 570 chipset, not as good as the 680i but not to bad either. :)

As you can tell I picked mostly Asus and maybe the same board at each store. lol. Actually your kinda tying my/your hands by restricting the $$$ on the board. You don't need SLi but you can still get a little better board with $50 or so more dollars.

Anyway here's what I tracked down and I expect Lp531 or Mort81 to add to this. To be honest they know their stuff and have had most of the components we've been talking about the last few pages. ;-)

....gm

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ greensman

Thanks bro...just got home from work- you have gave me something to think about...

I normally have my messenger on at work and get my emails, but today the crazies where out and spent most of my time breaking up fights and dealing w/ the police... which means paper work for me...so sorry it took so long to get back...looking and thinking now- so it may take some time LOL

AND...thanks for doing my work for me...MAN today it is a blessing more then normal- one of those days!

15. esoteric1

esoteric1 Guest

Thanks for the input greensman

So pretty much Im looking at a board with a P965 chipset if Im gunna stay in that price range? And if I spend a bit more I can get a better P965 Board or a 975X board or such. Now is Asus known to be the better brand to go with cause the board I picked is basically the same just Gigabyte. I ask this cause I heard that Asus has compatibility issues with OCZ ram which is what I was planning on buying. Geez I should just Man Up and buy a 680i lol.

16. dumbstuff

dumbstuff Member

Consider the Asus p5n-e sli board. It's based on the nVidia 650 chipset, and it overclocks pretty good.
    It's around 150

17. dumbstuff

dumbstuff Member

P.S. the p5n-e sli works just fine with OCZ ram

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

19. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ greensman

Again thanks...ordered the side panel, paid more then I wanted to BUT the battle is over- and let me not forget Lp531 thanks also

20. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@ esoteric1

After reading your posts of what you plan to do I would say that the a motherboard based off the Intel 965/975 chipset would be more than adequate. Based off several reviews I've read the performance difference at stock is only moderately better/if any compared to the 680i NVIDIA chipset. If you are truly going to be content with a single 8800GPU and "moderate" OC'ing then stick to what you planned.

On a side note, if you plan to play any video games on your PC or are a person that truly enjoys music... I would consider getting a Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard that has the onboard memory. After getting mine my audio playback from PC is much more enojyable, rich in sound...and games themselves sound more realistic, not to mention improved framerates.

I didn't believe it myself so I bought one from a local merchant that allows returns...long story short I kept it.

-Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.