1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrick

herrick Regular member

check this out:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

the CFM is 63.7 which is the most importannt thing along with dBA but really depending on our surrounding really dictakes our tolerance of sound. [office, work, home...LOL you get it]

with my sound card its nice to grab the remote and go from music to video or a mixture...but keep in mind in apts at 0300 you'll / I'll want to lesson to music at a level that is good for you and does not piss off your next door buddy so he does not get mad because of music trying get over power the Delta fan noise LOL [yes my PC is in my bedroom RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR & yeper and the same time]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

For a green fan that SilenX seems like the best bet to me. ;) Quiet and GREEN in one little 120mm package. lol. $22 is a little steep for a fan but if the quality is what they say it is and the noise level is close to specs, I would say a GOOD fan for sure.

Thanks for the links guys. :)

@cincy,
    Your CompUSA still open?? If so you might go there and see what goodies they have available before they're gone. :) Ours is about 8 days from closing. Sad if you ask me. Only large retail computer store here in town. I guess it will be almost 100% online for the GM. ;)

....gm

add:
    Has anyone used the 140mm AeroCool fans?? CompUSA has a few of those available for less than $15. the EGG link
    The top of the CM-690 will except 140mm fans and I was wondering if those fans were worth it. tia....

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm gonne try to see what I can find at my local CompUsa.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Save your money! The Specs Lie very badly! Even worse than the Thunderblade!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. herrick

herrick Regular member

CompUSA must be a fall'en or bought out? Here in tacoma they closed 6+ mths ago...

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

my comp usa been closed bout 2 weeks now. nothing was there except racks and empty boxes, and wireing hanging around..lol
    looked like the grinch been in town stealing all the Who's goodies

as of right now i have 2 exhaust fans and 1 intake(unpluged that noise maker on the side panel). is it better to have more exhaust or more intake?
    the exhaust on the top of the case is only going at 845rpms. it is pluged into the mobo. thinking of moving it to the side panelas a intake.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well if you have more exhaust than intake more air will automatically intake through the vents. If there aren't many vents in your case, then you should have the intake and exhaust balanced to about the same air exhausting as intaking.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i have the Coolermaster RC-690 case. so ther is plenty vents. 1 right behind where the CPU is on the mobo. the top of the case its all ventalated. and 2 big vents on the side panel so id say it gets plenty air in it.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On the fan links
    2400rpm? LOUD. If it's only pushing 69CFM at that too, that's appalling. The FM121 pushes well over 100CFM at the same speed.
    The first Antec one is out of stock, Silenx are a bit crap for fans. The Radioshack link to the Tricool is good though, didn't spot that.

Of all those, the SilenX is by far the worst, shortly followed by the first link posted. Get the tricool

Herrick: The S-Flex is a really decent fan, but if you want real quiet, you'll have to go with a lower speed version like the 1200rpm SFF21E. The 1600rpm version pushes plenty of air but is not quite so quiet.

Greensman: Yes, my mate Nick has the Aerocool 140mm fans, they're superb, really quiet, lots of air. If I had an RC-690, those are the fans I'd buy.

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That depends which fan controller, most will melt or catch fire if you attach a delta because they use a much power as a midrange graphics card at idle.
    If you're not going to use that speed, why buy one in the first place?
    So far I think one of the only controllers to support the Delta fans is the Sunbeam Rheobus.

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

This is true...I just replaced four delta fans..0 boy I can hear again- and the only controller I could use is a sunbean.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you want insane airflow without having your ears removed, use a Silverstone FM121. They're loud at full speed, but not Delta loud.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i guess the only way im gonna be able to control my fans is to get some sort of controller. this cpu fan is loud and never slows down...lol

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yesturday when i open my case to reset the Cmos, i only then realized that my fan is making all the noise, i thought it was the cpu fan.

Anywho, after nvidia release 9600GT, do you guys think ATI is still a good choice?

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i don't see why, with the recent price drops.

3870 or 9600GT, which ever one you buy, i dont matter as the customer wins, with superb mid-range gfx, and low prices.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 9600GT is almost as fast as the HD3870 and often cheaper, so realistically seems a better bet.

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

well, then i should wait for new ATI cards to come out. for wait for another price drop

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    59dBA and 4000 RPM! That is one loud mother frogger! For high airflow, the Silverstone FM121 would be a much better and quieter choice. More airflow than the Delta, but at less than 1/3 the RPMs (aprox 68CFM @1300 RPM) They also come with their own fan control! No LEDs though!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.