1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The fans are only going to quieten down after bootup if they're on a software controller. IIRC no software fan controller is strong enough to power them.

2. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

6.5v is high for a fan, are fan controllers that useful?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

High?
    They usually run at 12V...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Fortunately you would never have the need to run them even close to maximum speed, because they do get loud! Not near as loud as the Delta's! In all fairness though, I think it's been established that there's a big difference between how things sound in an Aluminum case vs a Steel one! I've also found that the Silicone/Rubber mounts for fans don't work particularly well in Steel cases either, yet seem to work fine in Aluminum ones!

My FM-121 runs at 1300, fixed, while I have the FN-80 under control of the MB so that it runs at 800 to 1300 rpm, depending on the chipset temperature. Silent? N0! But it is quiet! I can hear the Coffee Pot finishing, 30 feet away, with the computer console 3 feet away from my right ear! Vibration is absolutely minimal! You can't feel any vibration on the desktop at all, and even touching the case with your fingers right by one of the case fans yields almost no vibration, just the faintest buzz! The 32" ceiling fan makes more noise!

I'm working on a "higher end" HP at the moment and it's 3 total fans make at least twice as much noise as mine does with all 7 fans running, and my Silenx 40mm is dying! I'm just waiting for the Antec to get here so I can replace it! I'm pleased with my cooling system's performance and overall quietness. Having had the FM-121 for about a year now, I rate it very highly! I'm also very impressed with the FN-80 as well since I switched it to being partially controlled by the MB chipset! I've been able to lower my FM-121's speed another 100 rpm to 1300 and maintain better temps overall!

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just returned from CompUSA... :) Picked up 2 of those Aerocool 140's for $22 total. ;) They had about 40-50 of them so I may go back next weekend and see what they have left. I may end up with a box full. lol.

NO GREEN Tri-Cools but I already knew that. I bought 2 of those last weekend. One Tri-Color (for my Ultra 120) and One RED!!! You hear that cincyREDman?? :p

....gm

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heh, you can run 80mm fans at 1500rpm and they still don't make any noise. The Nexus is living proof of that. As for the 120mm fan, 1300rpm with most fans is relatively subtle. My S-Flexes at 10V (about 1350rpm) are audible, but very quiet considering.

7. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

I wonder how loud it would be if you replace all default ANTEC 900 fans with Delta's, running at full speed, now thats maximum cooling but awefully loud.
    What do you guys usually use to comtrol the fan speed? Utilities?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GTR35,
    My Silverstones both come with their own controller, although I do share the controller with the MB control for the side 80mm fan under PWM control. I set it at 800 rpm cold and the MB will run it higher or lower as needed by the chipset! This combination seems to give better results than if I set everything manually.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Got the AeroCools installed and they are QUIET sammy. ;) Thanks for the info buddy.

The only thing I don't like about them is the BLUE color. I bought the "Black" model and they looked the "dimmest" of the bunch. CompUSA only had the BLUE and BLACK model but that's ok just letting people know about the fan. ;)

Now I have to figure out something for my P/S.....lol. It's not loud by any stretch but it's the loudest fan in the box now. grrrrrrrrr......

If anyone is looking for a nice quiet fan that puts out some air and is 140mm the AeroCool Streamliner is a pretty good choice. ;) link to AeroCool 140 Streamliner

.....gm

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What PSU have you got? The Corsair units are rock silent.

11. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

there isn't many heatsinks that supports 140mm fan, except one of the scythe ones.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and the Thermalright IFX-14, but no, the main application for 140mm fans is for high end PC cases like the P190 and RC-690.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

while we are on the topic of fans. is it ok to unplug or plugin a fan while the computer is on?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I usually recommend AGAINST doing so. The only occasion where I say it's safe to do so is if it's hooked up to a fan controller you can switch completely off. If you get the connector misaligned when trying to reattach it, you can short the live and ground rails on the connector, which will trigger a shutdown.

15. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah thats what happened once, i tried pulling out something which shuts down my computer, it'll damage the whole pc. So don't risk it

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i owe my cooler fan an appology. i thought it was the noise maker. i unpluged it for a min, turned the system back on still kinda loud(low hummmm) put my ear around each fan with the side panel open. low and behold its the PSU.
    lol

gotta get the can'd air out to blow it out... i have heating oil so its dusty here...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

what do you guys think about thermal glue?

cause i have used it a few time and i dont really see that great of a temp difference (2-3c down) i dont think im going to use it anymore for fear of a hotspot

-tripplite

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Cincyrob: which Psu do YOU use?

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

20. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

lol, i will and i'm sure sam will recommend corsair HX520 powersupply. It's quiet and a good quality build one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.