1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i unplugged the sata drive now i got another problem

went to install xp started up fine and now this is what it says.

setup did not find any hard disc drives installed in your computer
    make sure any hard disc drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disc-related hardware configuration is correct
    setup cannot continue

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok gonna try this one more time tonight.
    i checked the jumper for the ide drive i might have had it in the wrong postion???? switched it around. still have the sata unpluged

oh well that didnt work either stull dont show me as haveing a hard drive installed. oh well im done for the night getting Hissed...change the H with a P you get the picture

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh what the hell have i done?
    plugged the sata back in boots up and now in DOS it says NTLDR is missing
    press ctrl+alt+del to restart

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

in the bios there might be 2 sections for drives. 1 is the boot sequence & the 2nd 1 is identify the drives so right now the bios doesn't see the ide.

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Rob, it is not reading a drive, check your cable connections and your power connections, something is possibly loose or unplugged. Had the same problem when I first installed two drives on my system years ago.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

You'll prolly have to go back into the BIOS and make the SATA your BOOT up HDD. Here's a nice little read to help you with the NTLDR. link That just about covers all bases.

rob on the NEW 'controller' card, did you install any software?? I'm not sure how that could help anything on a 'fresh' install of windows. You might try installing the OS thru the onboard IDE connection and then moving the HDD over or consider leaving it there and using the "card" for ODD's or an extra IDE HDD. Just some ideas there buddy.

Good luck with that....

...gm

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Rob - are you connecting the new IDE to your new card or directly to the motherboard - if so it could be that its not being recognised because of that.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i got the sata drive going againits up and running fin. im on it now no problems.

@pepp
    im trying to hookup a IDE HDD to the new IDE card i got.

i dont know why it isnt being seen when i try and install windows. when i had it hooked up as slave windows seen it as the F:drive and i was able to format just fine.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@greensman.

once i plugged the card into the board and turned the system on it recognized it and installed everything. i got the found new hard popup and everything. then the new hardwre is ready to use.

it did come with little disc i put it in and checked for drivers, said no newer update/drivers available.

EDIT to add

i just dont get it. i unplugged the card plugged it back in checked power everything is ok.
    i can go into my computer and it shows the 100gb(93gb actually) as being there. i even got my seagate install disc and added a new drive. it did that perfect. its setting there with nothing on it. i go into bios get into CMOS setup it shows the 250 sata on ide channel 0 master. then the next thing it shows is my ODD on channel 4 master and slave.no 100gb anywhere. i can go into advanced bios and choose hard disk boot priority and choose which drive to boot first. it does show the 100gb drive there. i choose the 100gb drive. but when it boots up it is the 250gb it wants to install onto??

the 100gb is set as master.i havent done anything to the sata drive.im gonna power it all down and take out the sata drive all together and see what happens

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i switched everything around. put the ide HDD onto the mobo ide connector. then the ODD on the PCI-E x1 card. ODD worked fine. the card is connected fine. with the HDD connected to the mobo it did show it in the bios as being there now.
    so i went to instal windows it loaded fine until it got to the HDD. said there was a error with the drive to use the check disk in window. i did that and showed it as being ok. retried it. same error about the drive haveing errors.
    so i set everything back to normal even CMOS. hooked up the drive as slave. in windows it shows the drive being there. G:drive.so i got into my seagate setup disc and was going to clone the sata drive to the IDE drive. wouldnt do it saying there was errors with the IDE drive. so i dont know if i have a bad drive or not. guess if i did that might explain why my old old old system wouldnt work with this 100gb drive in it.

i got it out now and gonna take it to work with me and see what my buddy bigwill can do with it...lol

just dont make since to me? but putting it directly onto the mobo, the bios did recognise it????

im seeding back a torrent right now(SHHHH!!!!!) once thats done i guess i will wipe this 250 and install my new version of xp on it

@greensman,ddp,sammorris,BlivetNC,Pepp, and anyone else i forgot.
    thank you for all your help with this problem...im learning more as ai go with this...lmao

i'll stop posting so much i know your all tired of hearing about my silly ignorant situations.
    plus i know im in trouble for so many back 2 back 2 back 2 back post.sorry bout that.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I don't think any of us had any problems with your questions rob. ;) Maybe answering them but not posting with your concerns. I understand having issues with a HDD, it took me almost 7-8 tries before I figured out a 80GB HDD had some problems/issues. lol.

I would try "formating" that 100 one more time thru the XP install disc just to see if it will do it. IF not then maybe you do have some issues with that HDD. Again GOOD luck to you.... :D

I'm waiting on my TR Ultra 120 to get in. It should be here today so that means the GM will be up tonight installing and having some fun. lol.

@sammy,
    I'll see how that AeroCool 120 turbine does on the cpu cooler, I'm actually curious to know if it will operate properly thru the mobo. If not I have a couple of other fans that will do. OH and you getting the RED Lexa is a little disappointing. lol. You were teasing me with the idea of a GREEN case!! you TEASER you!!! hehehe. :p Good luck with the switch over, and I'm sure you had NO problems getting rid of that Antec 900. ;0

.....gm

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I teased myself too, I was hoping to get one! In the end though, it just wasn't viable.
    My red server's now up and operational, pictures coming soon. It looks AWESOME! :)

What did it for me was installing the hard disks took maybe 70 to 80 seconds at the most to do all four. Installing a single drive in the 900 is a 5 minute operation and requires a magnetic screwdriver. You don't need any screwdriver for the Lexa! :) For a fileserver, being able to quickly swap drives out is important to me. It's also worth mentioning that the new case is indeed much quieter than the 900.

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

It's how we all learned Rob, trial, mistake and more errors.
    At least under XP you don't have to worry about partitioning drives bigger than 2.1 gigs like you would under windows 95.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ok first shot of "the twins"... :p

[​IMG]

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

very nice sam. i would have to take the red over the blue..lol

i might have found something here fellas.that has to do with my HDD space.
    i went to do a disc check/check disc errors.
    it said it couldnt do it cause windows needed full access to the HDD and it would schedule check at next startup.

well into the chkdsk stage 1 i got this here..

"Deleting Corrupt attribute record (128.$bad)
    from file record segment 8)

since then it has gone through the other 4 stages, on stage 5 now checking/verifying free space.

maybe this will solve my missing 120gbs..lol

i didnt think of doing this to the ide hdd??? maybe i should

16. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

Sam you son of a gun! When did you bought that case? what happened to Antec 900?

GUYS! i need your help

I need to know ALL well known computer related manufacturers and companies from Taiwan?

I'm doing a research!

EDIT: So far
    Taiwan:
    Abit
    Asus
    Gigabyte
    DFI
    MSI
    ECS
    GeCube
    NZXT
    Acer
    AOpen
    A-DATA
    Thermaltake
    Transcend
    Biostar

is there more? Please tell me

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

cincyrob, what do you mean missing 120gigs? is the 250gig showing up as 137gig in windows?

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

in the window it shows as 238gb. which is normal. windows takes 5-7%

but the free available space is only 121gb. and i dont have anything onthe drive other than some programs and about 8gbs of movies ive ripped to the HDD..

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

GTR: Haha, I bought it yesterday afternoon, arrived this afternoon, assembled it, and now it's my fileserver! The Antec 900's being sold to someone else at my LAN party. My server's much quieter in the Blackline now, but I need to solve the power supply noise. £50 on a new PSU is a lot to spend just to cut a few decibels...

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the chkdsk fixed it. deleted that error and now showing me having 215gb available out of 238. that sounds alot better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.