1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the colored wires as in green, red & orange are the (+) & the white wires are the (-).

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

@sammy,
    The case has a vent on the bottom so you can install the psu as intended. ;) yeh I like those GREEN sata cables too. lol. Man I wish those were GREEN LED fans. :p

@Pepp,
    Normally the "colored" wire is positive and the "white" wire is the negative or common wire. ;) hth.....

Yep saw the spider after the pic was taken. lol. Gotta love your kiddies.

....gm

edit: ddp beat me to it... lol.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, that's nice, I like that.

4. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Drumroll please...

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

all these RC-690 cases we need to start a thread just for them..lol

looks good

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Well I turned it on and its so much quicker than my old one that it had booted into the old version of windows on my HDD before I had a chance to blink lol

However there is one issue the fan on my heatsink is not spinning (it is the only one that isnt),when you first tuen the PC on it does a quick movement then stops. (I have tried reseating the cable and it makes no difference). I have now rebooted it and gone into the BIOS, and is says the temps are 37celcius for the system temp and 26celcius for the CPU temp. If I manually move the heatsink fan the RPMs do change from 0 to about 100 in the BIOS. Now as I look at the heatsink fan it is doing a little 10-15 degree spin to the right then it goes back to where it was and it does this every 4 to 5 seconds.

My voltages are:-

VCore:- 1.204V
    DDR2/DDR3 Voltage:- 1.776V
    +3.3V:- 3.360V
    +12V:- 12.302V

Whilst Ive been typing this the temps have gone up to 39 and 27 respectively.

Could I have a dodgy fan on the heatsink or could it be clever enough to not be turning on as the CPU is still so cool.

Finally I have two exhaust fans See here in that corner and they are moving quite a bit of air, and finally the heatsink finsthemselves are cool to the touch.

PS - four minutes or so since last temp check and about 10 mins to right the post and the temps are still at 39 and 27 celcius respectively.

PPS - Now 15 mins the machine has been on sitting in BIOS and the temps are now 41 and 28 celcius respectively.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    I missed your question about the router, so sorry for the late reply. You should be able to add as many computers as you have ports. The address is in the router so you don't even need to do anything to make it work. Just open a browser, and you're on line!

I work on computers all the time and not having to install my ISP software on every computer I work on is a blessing. That's why I bought the router in the first place! LOL!! I have 4 Lan ports and wireless but I'm always working on computers! It's become my life! ROFL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Ive just tried just the fan from my stock heatsink and it spun straight away. Ive then plugged the Arctic Freezer back in and turned on, the fan is now spinning at 230 RPMs, but I had to manually get it started by giving it a little nudge with my finger (and the temps still say 41 and 28 celcius for system and CPU). Also if I stop the fan with my finger, I have to start it again with a little flick. Think I may have a broken fan on my heatsink :(

Edit - Thought Id do another reboot and see if the fan started on its own and it did and its now running at 2450 RPMs :D :D :D :D :D :D Seems to be fixed woohoo.

Oh and the CPU temps is now 25celcius - down 3 degrees in the first 2 mins - system is still at 42degrees.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

230rpm? Are you sure? The minimum speed for that fan to stay running at all should be at least 500...

11. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Yeah it was definitely 230 - should have taken a picture :)

I think it might have just been stiff as after Id given it that helping hand and had it spinning at 230 for a few minutes it spun up perfectly to 2450 RPM after the next reboot. Now just to work out how to slow it down to a decent level as at these speeds its quite loud lol

12. tripplite

tripplite Guest

pepp77- How can you live with just one drive??

also does anyone know if there is a a difference in current between e-SATA and SATA, i know the difference between the two but i'd like to know if the amount of current (in AMPS? right?milliamps...) on the e-sata is greater or less then SATA?

so i guess my question is how much current flows through a e-SATA and a SATA cable, must be very low since there data connection..

-tripplite

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[Pepp77]wrote

However there is one issue the fan on my heatsink is not spinning (it is the only one that isnt),when you first turn the PC on it does a quick movement then stops. (I have tried reseating the cable and it makes no difference).

@Pepp77
    i had the same issue on my board with the heat sink fan..i had move it around until it made good connection..i saw pics 1 thing that i did'nt like to see was your rear fan on your case..where the wire is streched across to connected to the mother board..take it and flip that fan around so the wire would closer to the mother board to take some of that stress off the wire just my suggestion..

all in all looks good brother!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  14. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Tripp - there was supposed to be two - but the drive I was going to put in my old PC to sell is knackered and so Ive had to put one of this builds 2 drives into that computer. Ill grab another one in a month once Ive been paid again.

Does anyone know the best DVD/RW drive that has a completely black bezel :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd imagine the current flowing, whilst negligible in either case would be greater with eSATA, but only if you connected multiple drives, for obvious reasons. I see no reason why it would be greater using a different method unless there was significant resistance in the cable, and if there were, the data would probably be full of errors anyway.

16. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

eSATA = 1.2 amps

Man, you guys sure do reply fast around here!

/woot

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  17. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Get you a liteon from newegg.com

18. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Big Will - its not as tight as it looks, there is a little slack in that cable, and I can move it slightly if I need to - but I will take your point under advisement.

BIOS Shot for those interested.

Suppose its now time to install a fresh copy of XP.

Edit - Bigwill - think the postage to Blighty might make that not worthwhile :), i'll probably use ebuyer.

19. redice

redice Regular member

Russ: i think you miss understood the question but what i wanted to know was if there were any free progarms that will me to share files between the two computers that are hard wired to the router.

20. dougal79

dougal79 Regular member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.