1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redice

redice Regular member

a friend of mine has a computer with a on noard video card. what i was wondering was can i add a better video card to the board? also will this disable the on board one?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

First thing I want to clear up is the system I eluded to was a new system build to consider. NOT something that can be added or upgraded on the VAIO computer you already have. :) Just making sure we're on the same page here. ;-)

link to BFG 7600GT @ $100

link to EVGA 7600GT @ $100

HIS X1950PRO if you want a Radeon @ $230

EVGA 8800GTS @ $300

I have the BFG 7600GT and love it but I don't run very intensive games. TW 04, Nascar 04, and MLB 04 are the only ones that I've messed with at all because I have a pS2 and GameCube for playing games. If it wasn't for the 2 boys I might do more on the computer but I don't like them getting on the puter yet, they're only 6 and 4 years old. :)

On the other cards they were priced nicely and have good reviews and expect for the HIS I own or know someone that has them.

If I'm not mistaken the 3 nVIDIA cards can go into a SLi configuration if so desired. I don't think you would need it with the 8800 but one never knows. ;-)

hth is some way and keep the questions coming ;-)

....gm

3. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@bombayboy and jvwheel

If you are planning on building an SLi system, or at least buy the board for the potential for upgrade...make sure that it is the model that supports true PCI-e x16 when in SLi mode(i.e. ASUS P5N32-E SLI has true x16 PCI-e slots when both cards installed, versus ASUS P5N-E which drops PCI-e performance down to x8 when two cards are installed.) Actually all the boards that jvwheel has chosen are good choices.

@bombayboy

video card wise for the budget based gamer any 7600GT is a good choice. Those listed by greensman all good choices but I would also take a look at the XFX XXX line of cards, especially the Fata1ty one. I too am the occasional gamer and was searching for the best bang for the buck card...I narrowed it down to the 7600GT, x1650XT, 7900GS, x1950GT...I ended up buying the Sapphire x1900GT which newegg has as an OEM special..$129.99.

@jvwheel

per me and Lp531's discussion on memory, you may also be interested in the link that was provided for memory module tests. I would personally pick the Patriot Memory because of the lower latency.

4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Does any one know the pin layout for the new 4 pin cpu coolers...I want to hook-up cooler to my fan controller...I do not want to power it off my Motherboard...I want to retain my motherboards RPM sensing...so does anyone know why they have 4 wires now...instead of 3...

5. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@Lp531

So if you are looking at the "male" end (the ones with the pins) on the motherboard.

Like this: say that's the tab-> |: <-pins
    ---------------------------tab> |: <-pins

From Top to bottom they are:
    Ground
    +12V
    RPM
    Control

A standard 3 pin one would be:
    Ground
    +12V
    RPM

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  6. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

Thanks for all your help! Im getting right onto it now, getting a estimate. Im on my way.
    Thanks again. =D

7. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

Thanks for your feedback 6spdSER; I have narrowed the components down to:

ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX
    or
    EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX (Favoring this board)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4 GHz
    EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384 Bit PCI Express x16 HDCP. (1 now)
    Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 EPP
    WD 2500YS 250GB drives x4 (0+1 Array)
    Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Case

Have to find a good 700+W SLI PSU in the $160.00 price range.

I would appreciate it if anyone has suggestions for a PSU in my price range or any input on the final motherboard selection. I am strongly favoring the eVGA MoBo as one may unlink the OC of the CPU from that of the memory and I have read less of memory conflict issues with this board. In past builds, I have always used ASUS and had good experiences; I have read more of memory conflict issues with this ASUS MoBo but also have read that this ASUS MoBo will automatically OC the components as the software demands more performance. I would like to hear more from actual users before making my final decision. Does anyone have experience with either of these mainboards? Thanks to everyone for their help thus far. JV

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@6spdSER
    So just making sure it is: Small 4 pin

"Ground"
    "12v"
    "RPM sensor"
    "RPM Control"

"So all I have to do is splice into RPM sensor...run this single wire to Motherboard fan header...

Hook up CPU cooler to fan controller with RPM Sensor: Small 3 pin

"Ground"
    "12v"
    "RPM sensor"

I can then Eliminate this new 4th "RPM Control" Wire...

Motherboard will still register RPM as it has on old 3 pins systems...while pulling power off Fan Controller...while also allowing Fan Controllers "RPM sensor" and "RPM display" to work...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  9. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@Lp531

Yeah that's right. Hope it all works out!

10. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

After a long time spent on a crappy laptop P4 3.06ghz,Gforce FX 5600, 60gig HD etc... I thougt it time to buy a new rig, one which would last me awhile!,

After some thought and research me and the wife came up with this
    build from Computerworld Australia:-

Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Case
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 - 2.670GHz - (1066FSB/LGA775/4MB Cache)
    DVD: Asus 16X +/- Dual Layer Lightscribe DVD Burner
    Hard drive: Seagate 320G 7200RPM SATA-II 16M cache
    Modem: Netcomm 56K v.92 internal
    Power supply: CoolerMaster IGreen Power 600W PSU
    RAM: GeIL DDRII667 2GB Kit w/Heat Spreader
    Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1
    Video card: Inno3D GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384bit PCI-Express
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 supports Core 2 Duo

We havent got this machine built just yet, so what we would really
    like to know is:-

1.Are there any issues that people have had with the motherboard?
    2.Will this rig be quick enough to play the latest games
    3.Will it be quick enough to get decent frame rate on MS Flight
    Simulator X.

If anyone has other suggestions or opinions on my final specs, I would appreciate a reply. - Thanx Sam & Jess

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@sheeny33
    I have the exact same Motherboard...never had an issue with it...I did not pick it out...it was a gift...Myself...I would have went with a 680 based Motherboard with SLI...Just to be Future proof...

I have the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667 with 4-4-4-12 timing...

I prefer Corsair or OCZ...over Geil...but that is just my personal opinion...Just make sure it is verified to work on Motherboard...Look at Manufacturers site they should list compatible Ram and Boards...

8800GTX is the fastest card out...so there is really nothing better to recommend...It should play all the games just fine...I am getting ready to order a 8800GTS for my Intel Rig...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  12. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@sheeny33

Everything about your system is top notch, except for the the CL X-Fi you've selected. The new eXtremeMusic card is not the same as the old...it doesn't provide the same acceleration /CPU off loading as the original card it supposively replaced, or even the higher models. I would recommend that you pick up the X-Fi eXtremegamer Fatal1ty professional edition. That card costs $100 more but, it has the "real" X-Fi chipset on it, along with 64MB of X-RAM which allows the card to further offload audio processing duties from the system CPU.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Lp531, let me know how you like that card when you get it up and running

14. Shagratt

Shagratt Regular member

Thankx to Lp531 and 6spdSER for the reply, I've taken on board what
    you've both said, done abit of research along the way and decided
    to change the motherboard to one with SLI as being able to add another graphics card seems to be the way to go in the future. Two 8800GTX cards seem abit scary at the moment for me though but at least I'll have the option of it when I can afford to get another board... but that will leave me with another problem... cooling!.

Im still trying to convince the wife to let me have the other soundcard!, will keep you posted how I get on!.

15. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

sheeny33, If you are going to go SLI with the 8800GTX you may want to consider a different power supply. The CoolerMaster IGreen Power 600W PSU only has 2 PCI-E 6 pin connectors and 2 12v Rails at 18A ea. That may be OK for your immediate configuration but you would have to swap it out if you upgrade with an additional 8800 GTX. The GTX cards (that I have reviewed) require 2 PCI-E 6 Pin connectors each. You may consider 8800 GTS Cards; they only require one. You may also consider the SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply as it has 4 12V rails at 18A ea as well as 4 PCI-E 6 pin connectors. It cost a bit more but many think it is a much better PSU and you will not be changing it out to upgrade. I've pasted some links that may help with your PSU selection once you finalize your configuration. Good Luck with your build. JV

http://psu.thetruck.net/

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

16. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@sheeny33
    Thanks for the kind words...glad to be of assistance...I would take a look at the ASUS boards or the EVGA boards...I would look at one's with the 680 chipset...

6spdSER...Gave you a Better choice for a sound card...if you can swing it...

jvwheel...Pointed out a potential problem with SLI...and two 8800GTX cards...the Power Supply is an important part of system stability...you can never have one that is to big...just makes system more future proof...excellent articles he linked to...

If you find cash being tight...you might consider going with the GTS over the GTX card...Not a lot of performance difference between the two...quite a bit of savings in price...enough to get the upgraded sound card...and a better Power Supply...The 8800GTS is a beast of a card...and will run all your games just fine...

Final note...I am not saying that SLI is a must have...If you go with a board and components that are SLI ready...It gives you that option for the future...thats the only point I was trying to make...Just trying to make sure that you do not have to upgrade a component...any time soon...

17. Deeds1

Deeds1 Guest

Hello everyone, Im planning on building a gaming machine with a budget of $1500 US (just the tower) and would appreciate some guidance. Im leaning towards core 2 duo, vista, and a 8800gts if I can swing it. I'd like to overclock to get some more performance over cost, I've read that 3.0Ghz is realistic with any C2D, also I'd like the sli option for the future. Uhm I think thats it...oh and mobo compatibility with IDE harddrives would be a bonus but isnt that important at all.

So far I have:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm
    EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
    OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Antec Solo
    Antec Tricool 92mm x2
    Lite-ON
    Vista Home Premium

Bringing me to $1100 after rebates with only the mobo and PS left

So how does it look so far? and could could anyone suggest a mobo and PS or any other components that should be switched?

Thanks

18. redice

redice Regular member

can somebody answer this
    a friend of mine has a computer with a on board video card. what i was wondering was can i add a better video card to the board? also will this disable the on board one?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Deeds1,

The intel E6600 is the best bang for the buck and is capable of being OC'ed to 3.4ghz on air, if you can swing it. Intel is coming out with E6320 and E6420 in Q2 of this year and they will have L2 cache of 4mb like their big brothers.

Nothing wrong with OCZ memory but you might look at corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 C4 memory also. They will run at or nearly 900 and still maintain timings of 4-4-4-12.

Keep in mind that vista is not compatable with a lot of older software. I bought a new laptop with vista home premium and very little of my existing software was compatable. Needless to say I imediatly reformated with XP.

redice,

Is that supposed to say onboard video? As long as his mobo has a PCIe slot or AGP slot he can add a video card. They do make PCI video cards but nothing special and not much better than onboard video. When you install the video card you will connect the monitor to the connector on the video card thus inabling the onboard video. You can also disable the onboard video if you feel it necessary.

20. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks Mort81 and yes is suppose to say onboard video card . i believe the computer has a AGP slot in it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.