1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

GREENSMAN come out and play....where you been? hiding out so the wife dont slap ya silly again for buying more parts...rotflmao....

am looking to get a sata hdd within the next week or 2. im wanting that 500gb 32mb cache seagate that i was gonna get at first. get that then a couple sata burners, then a new PSU hopefully in that order.
    LH-20A1S x 2 thats what im lookin at for burners...i just cant pry myself away from the litey's

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heh, when I think about all the things I still want to get, the list is as long as my arm...
    Quieter PSUs for both my PC and my server, many more hard drives, and a silent cooler for my graphics card... It all adds up!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Pepp77,
    It shouldn't be uncomfortable to the touch! The P35 chipset runs warmer than the old 965P did to begin with. With the addition of the 40mm fan I installed on the Northbridge, My MB temps dropped from the very high 40s to the very low 40s!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

ok mort i'll try that and see how..i come out..i bought the system back down to default setting for now..i need to get some fans up in this thing..i would like to get at lease 5 140mm and one 120mm for the back if it fits..I gotta do some cutting on this clear case that means measuring..i dont wanna make know mistakes in the hole sizes either..so my case will be modifyed..for more fans..right now it's only got 3,,80mm (led's) blue in it front,back and side..i need more air flow..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

ADDICT IN THE HOUSE!

lol

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

your an ADDICT for sure...lol

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I was talking about theonejrs... lol

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

we shall bow down to the greatness....

how and where do you put the fans on them thermalright ultra 120 coolers??????

i was just looking at some of them. i forget which model but you canput a fan on the front and back of the pipe's push and pull forces.that would be cool to see..

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You can put a fan on either side.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Me? I'd be getting that sweet 500GB drive ASAP! That should be one fast HDD! I've heard reports that the one with the 16MB Cache is pretty fast too!

Best Regards,
    "ADDICT"

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Theone: When my old Asus mobo said it was 41C, it was actually 75C, my Gigabyte one says its 21-23 all the time, it's actually around the mid 50s. I don't trust chipset temperature probes!
    Nice find on the component deal btw, shame the PSU is dump!
    Abuzar: You only just noticed? I'm sure Russ has been an addict for a few days now. May I say, it's about time! He deserves it...
    Rob: It comes with metal clips to attach it. IMO they're a pain in the backside to use, but they do get the job done eventually. Hint: Attach the fan before you install the cooler, it helps!
    Given the location of the cooler in most people's cases, I don't see any reason to put a fan on both sides, but you can if you like. The reason I say this is because the fan on one side of the cooler would practically be touching your rear case fan, so it would have no useful purpose.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob and Will are screwing up the addict streak.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Nope! Turned on the computer earlier today and there it was! LOL!! Thanks though, I feel i've earned it! LOL!!
    Sell it and anything else you don't need and cut the cost even more. Like I said, Newegg has the Q6700 for $539 by itself. Add the cost of that crappy PS to that, and the cost the case, 300GB HDD, MB and decent memory are essentially free. not too shabby!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Yes Russ you have.congrats..i just have 1 request. keep helping us lost soles, and bless us with all your knowledge as often as you can...

@abuzar
    it will be a long time before i see addict. im one of the fools that needs to just be a Sr. member.i take in more info and help than i have given out. i'll leave the addict status to you guys that deserve it and know what yor talking about...Now our greenie buddy he is the one deserving of it.he might have had it about a year ago if all those saftey valve post counted...LMAO...

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol You'll get there.

I think Russ and Sam deserve it way more than me though.

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

theonejrs- ho ho congrats man! i figure it was about time;)
    (gotta crack open PS CS3 and make a new siggy eh?)
    i just put a (new from box) 40GB SEAGATE SATA hard drive into my comp, my computer only has one other HDD 200GB, at any rate my computer isn't picking up the drive, neither is the bios, the power and sata are connected in nice and snug all the way and im sure the power connection isn't dead.....i'll try the drive in another computer tomorrow, but till then any suggestion?

and yes it hasn't been near any magnets! LOL

-TRIPPLITE

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

@theonejrs,

congrats is definately in order Russ. I don't know of a more deserving fellow. all your posts are informative and spot on. no one liners from you. too long sometimes if anything :). way to go bud.

I've been doing some research and shopping. I seriously doubt I will follow the buzz right now and go with a gigabyte mobo for 2 reasons. 1) I don't like their bios. asus has spoiled me and for cpu and dram voltage settings, asus gives you a choice of the exact voltage you want instead of choices of the amount of increase from default like gigabyte does. I also don't like that you have to press ctrl F1 to access the advanced settings. 2) I plan on going with a thermalright ultra 120 extreme and on most gigabyte mobos you have to remove crazy cool to make them compatable http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/mcl/ultra-120-mcl.htm

I am however very seriously considering going with a mobo make I have never used before, DFI, this mobo to be precise. it has all the top of the line basic features as other upper end mobos such as 8 sata connectors, dual lan, and raid controller.

it also has some other very attractive features as well such as 4 fan headers in addition to a fan header primarily for a NB fan. and of course it has dedicated fan header for the CPU. it also has a standby power led, a dram power led, and a diagnostic led.

I've been reading the manual and the bios is loaded with features that a an OC'er would drewel (sp?) over. settings and features that I'm going to have to research and learn what they are and do.

I'm going to research it some more. that mobo looks to make a good companion for my new empty cooler master stacker 830 evo case. if anybody has experience with DFI or just wants to comment or offer advice, they are more than welcome and it will be appreciated.

Mort

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

my bad..did'nt know the a streak was goin on..lol

@theonejrs

congrats on your new rank brother..you have been a big help..

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Thermalright is incorrect! The only models That still have "Crazy Cool" are the EX38-DS4, and the EX38-DQ6! There's nothing to remove on the back side of the MB. You are right about the bios though, it does lack some features. Nothing you can't work around unless you're looking to go extreme. I takes Soph's advice and "overclock sensible"! I don't like Asus "Q" Fan, but I do like the Smart Fan Controller in the DS3R, so there's trade-offs!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.