1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nooo Will I was just joking.

Come back!

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@tripplite
    ive had that same problem with my board. i dont know which you have.i havent been able to connect a second sata drive and bee seen in the bios? i dont know if there is something that has to be turned on in the bios,raid or what. im thinking im regreating on getting the newest board with the 2.1 version. mice segway...lol

@Russ
    my GA-P35-DS3R 2.1v smart fan isnt something i can control.
    also i dont have to hit control F1 to get to advanced bios.as for i dont have any..lol no way to control the fans.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: By the time I made Senior member, I was practically where you are now. In the space of time between Senior member and now, I've learnt probably the majority of what I'm able to advise on. Stick around buddy, and eventually you'll be like us! (If that's what you want of course!)
    Mort: It's quite funny, until you mentioned it just now I had no idea CrazyCool existed! That's an interesting feature, but if you wanted "crazy" cooling on your chipset, you'd have a big CPU heatsink wouldn't you? Not the best thought out of ideas that one. I have no quarrels with you going with a DFI board. They seem very powerful and well thought out, but VERY picky about certain things. For a PC building pro, I've no hesitiation in recommending them, but they're not boards for newbies. Hell, even I wouldn't feel comfortable owning one yet!
    My mate has a DFI board, so as said, I'm happy to offer advice-by-proxy, if you will.

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

cincyrob- i too have experienced the same problems you describe, i was blessed this time and a replacement SATA from my closet did the trick;P
    -both hdds are running just fine!

oh and btw it seems we wont be getting much help as it seems russ is getting all the attention on here..*cough* glory hog *cough*~ jk you deserve it!

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@tipplite
    so you just used a differnet sata cable then and your problem was fixed??

as far as getting help around here there is no problem with that ever being a problem..lol

EDIT to add
    2642 post i have right now. about 300 or so are saftey valve post

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im sure russ was an addict before???

i was even saying how he spammed his way there...or was that something else about his rubbish posts:p

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, you have to be careful with the subtle jokes Shaff, I've been caught out with those before!

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Ya'll may wanna read this if ya'll don't already know .i thought..i would share this with you all Intel churning out 100,000 45 nm processors every day..boy tha's some money there..lol

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36367/118/

here's a little part on what they saying in the article:

The next 45 nm processor, based on a completely new micro-architecture, is on track for a H2 2008 delivery. Nehalem will arrive with 2, 4 and 8 cores, an integrated 3-channel DDR3 memory controller, Hyperthreading support (up to 16 threads per CPU) and what Otellini called a “very flexible design”. Sometime in 2009, he expects that Intel will have the capability to integrate non-CPU cores into Nehalem, but general purpose cores such as graphics as well. Yes, that would be AMD’s Fusion concept in an Intel processor.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I heard some rumours that the 45nm CPUs are particularly prone to electronmigration at very low voltages. Does anybody know much about this?

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

intergrated memory controler.......no need for NB?

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@sammorris

check this link out and tell what you think about the (I/O plan)
    http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800486873_480100_NT_7aaf1897.HTM

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@shaffaaf

intel seem to plan, it intends to remove the need for a Northbridge - where system memory controllers typically reside - this opens a very wide window of opportunity for mainboard manufacturers who don't want to be beholden to intel to buy more, or perhaps, probably all, the southbridges from their taiwanese compatriots such as SiS, ULI and VIA, not to mention offerings from ATi and Nvidia..i believe it's already been done..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You need to be a registered member to view the article. What's the gist of it?

14. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

AFAIK, 45nm chips degrade after 1.35v.

Oh and im rather pissed off. I was dead set on getting a stacker but it turns out my thermalright ultra 120 extreme cooler will just not fit in with the extra 4 fan bracket in place. Seems like go for a small cooler or go water cooled.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

Greg is the TR 120 Ultra smaller?? You might consider that as a good alternative.

Just for those people that don't know about stock coolers (Intel). I finally got around to switching out my stock cooler on the Q6600 and it's made an 8C difference and I haven't "burned" in the new cooler yet. I want to get another TR 120 Ultra but that may be pushing it a bit. lol. (the pocket book that is) I stuck a CM 92mm Hyper TX2 in there and it's running great. I think one of my friends may have that same model. :D

....gm

edit: was corrected on the size of the Ultras.....same as the extremes. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

What degrades about them? Where is this information from? Everything "degrades" if over-volted and not cooled properly. I'm not doubting your statement, I just want to know the source because I've put in preorder for that type CPU and a few others already have one.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Greg: As has been stated before, the Stacker's side panel bracket actually increases temps rather than improving them. Coolermaster cases are also narrower than most brands so they always cause issues with fitting large coolers. Have you considered the NZXT Zero?
    Greensman: The Ultra-120A I believe is the same height as the Extreme, the A just has fewer heatpipes.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GregI6,
    I don't know where you heard that but it's nonsense. I was told personally by Intel's tech dept, that 1.5v is the maximum safe voltage for the newer 45nm chips. Mine's been at 1.47v for about 4 months now and runs daily 15-17 hours a day with no problems or temperature issues!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I have heard that before. I'm in the same boat except I already have a stacker 830 evo and want a TR Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm gonna try it anyway. I might have to do without the 4 fan side panel.

both the ultra 120 and the ultra 120 extreme are the same height at 160.5mm.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Russ: Surely you have a 65nm CPU? This is supposed to be specific to the new 45nm cores.
    Mort: The Ultra 120A fit in my case fine, but I read up and apparently my case is a full inch wider than the Stackers... seems weird really, considering their comparative size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.