1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

I read about the cpu's degrading on overclockers uk. There was a massive thread about it(looking for it now). One guy said along the lines of(racks brain) that his chip was running fine at 3.6ghz for a few weeks when using folding@home but after those few weeks, his chip refused to boot into windows, so a higher voltage was required to keep it running at 3.6. 4 or 5 guys had similar problems so it's not an isolated case.

I can't remember if he said the speed was affected or not.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

well there's no way a TR ultra 120 extreme will fit in my CM stacker with the 4 fan side panel installed without some modification. I just did some measuring and there is 162mm from the modular mobo tray (no mobo or cpu installed) to the inside of the 4 fan side panel. the height of the ultra 120 extreme alone is 160.5mm.

the mobo tray sets about about 1" from the side panel due to it's modular construction and the 4 fan side panel is about 1 3/8" wide.

I think by popping out one or two of the snap in fan brackets and if necessary, do a little modding (plastic grinding or cutting), I can still use the fan panel with a couple of fans. I don't really think I will use the 4 fan side panel anyway (it snaps out) but I think I could with 2 (possibly 3) fans if I really wanted to.

everything should be plenty cool without the 4 fan side panel using a TR ultra 120 extreme cpu hsf, a NB hsf, the front and back 120mm case fans and the top 140mm case fan.

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I'm glad it's runnin well there gm..for the friends that has the same model there staying pretty cool also 4 the time being until the the Zalman cooler shows up..lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, you have a 65nm Conroe. They are talking about 45nm Wolfdales, Penryns, and Yorkfields.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the antec 900 fits it

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

thanks but no thanks. I'd much rather use my stacker 830 without the side fan panel or modded with 2 or three fans.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for clearing up the 120 (Ultra or Extreme) size question. :) My brain was on hold this morning. lol. I stayed up quite late last night working on my 2 Intel builds. Installed that cooler and redid all the fans in the Gigabyte case. BTW that Gigabyte will fit the 120 Extreme with NO problems. It's friggin huge!!!

bigwill glad that cooler is working for you guys. ;) Which Zalman did you get??

Mort I agree, NOT that the Antec 900 is a bad case but I'm one of those guys that likes something different. I will say this tho, that CM-690 weighs twice as much as the Gigabyte. It's aluminum cases for the GM from now on....

What about the 810 Stacker?? It may have more usable room.

sammy I don't think the 900 is "wider" than the 830 Stacker it just has more "usable" room than the 830 w/o some "modding". 830 width 9.8" (25cm) ; 900 width 8.1" (20.5cm).

.....gm

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ya it seems the other one must have gotten damaged?? i too find it odd
    but....it was a bit lose when i put it in, the plastic might have cracked and it wasn't squeezing down as hard as it should....
    +++++++++++++++++=========================

anyway i got a new job today so am planning on how i should use the money....NEW BUILD HORAY!

http://pcpowerzone.com/koexuptasi.html

am looking at that and i know its going to be a beast to install), and i just dont want to buy the wrong thing??? so does any body have a issue/reason i shouldn't buy it?

and yes....i am switching from air to water..... the performance speaks for itself!
    anybody got a beef with Koolance??~seriously i need to know!

-tripplite

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam and Everybody,
    We've been talking E8400 for so long now I just typed it on AutoPilot! I know it's 65nm!

Russ

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

I never even thought about the 690 not being aluminum. aluminum is all I've used for years and is all I will ever use again. I used to like antec cases until I got introduced to aluminum cooler master cases. I even thought antecs were tooless until I got a tooless cooler master.

it's not that the stacker is narrower than the 900, it is actually wider but the addition of the removable/modular mobo tray and the internal 4 fan side panel narrows the available internal width. a person just has to decide if they want the internal width or the extra features.

I could really care less about the 4 fan side panel but I luv the removable mobo tray. pop out the fan tray and you've got just as much internal width as the 900, maybe more. I for one really like the feature rich stacker. you can remove every panel except the top without a screwdriver. the only thing I don't like about it is the size. even though it is a full tower it doesn't weigh much more if any than the antec mid tower case I used to have. as you can tell I am not an antec fanboy. OK I'll shut up now.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just curious. has anybody heard anything from Lp531?

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

No haven't seen him 'round for a while. What happened?

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@greensman..

running with ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED it's on order..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

gotta modify the clear case..taking out the 3, 80mm's led out that came with it gonna put 2 120mm led's in front and back and 3 140mm, 1 on top and two on the side.. and..i need to get grills also.for the fans..I may get 1 for behind the board also..i got enough space for a fan to fit between the board and the case. i measure it at 1 inch space between..it may have to be a slim one..i gotta do some cutting or get the holes cut out for me sense..I'm the only one that has a clear case in here..I need of alot of air flow but until then..i'm not gonna turn my cpu back up until the modifying is done so..i'm at 2.66ghz 4 now until good cool air is flowing right..i gotta check on some prices for the good fans not loud 1 either..i dont wanna fill like a airplane is landing in my bedroom..lol

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yep it's steel and heavy as lead. lol. It's kinda tooless but nothing like the Gigabyte. I'm taken with this Gigabyte case. I'd like to try an upper end Cooler Master now..... BUT that won't happen after my recent purchases unless I sell something..... NOT!! Well I could sell the CM-690 and buy an upper end Cooler Master. ;)

NO need to "shut up". rofl..... We all have our likes and dislikes. The only thing that I've had Antec until I bought the 1000W Quattro was TriCool fans (which are good) so my experience with Antec is limited. ;)

good to see you post.... :D

.....gm

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hehe, yeah I need to clarify that. I no longer like antec cases after being exposed to aluminum cooler master cases. I do however like their tricools and their psu's aren't bad either.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I love my Steel Armor case.

Every time I think aluminium cases I think aliminium foil.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I talked to him the other day as aabbccdd was looking for him too. So I e-mailed him! He's all tied up with that festival that he is running. It'll be a while before we hear more than a hello! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, genius! Yeah, I sold my 900 since I prefer my new server case, which coincidentally also fits an Ultra 120.
    Greensman: The 3D Aurora is monstrous.
    Tripplite: I've had several faulty S-ATA cables, it's not as far-fetched as you might think, they're quite weak. My friend Nick had a Koolance case with a watercooling system based on the Exos design, it's decent, but it's what we'd call "moderate performance", unremarkable but acceptable. Of course that by watercooling standards means it beats pretty much any air cooling setup, but not by a huge margin.
    On the Aluminium/Steel debate, steel is marginally quieter than Aluminimum in most cases, but it weighs twice as much, so that's worth bearing in mind.

19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well am just glade it was a crappy SATA and not something more serious.....i didn't know steel is quieter? thanks for the pointer!

-tripplite

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's only quieter in the sense that it produces fewer vibrations, but that should be obvious...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.