1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Yeah I know they are not actually IDE not sure why I put that I did mean molex - probably something to do with it being 3am over here lol, but Ive been organising all my data on my 4 harddrives.

P

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i got something really wrong here. every time i shut down or restart. it hesatates then reboots itself again and im back at default settings(cpu wise no OC) and i here the so called clicking sound. if its the HDD what do i need to do? it hasnt een 30 days can i RMA it?

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

guess i need to determine if its the sata drive or the ide drive thats doing it.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    When does it make the clicking noise and how often?

Russ

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincyrob I would try disconnecting the non-OS drive first and see what happens. Sorry that you're dealing with issues on your NEW system. :) Hopefully it's something easy to find and nothing that doesn't have a guarantee. ;)

MAN that new 1000W by Corsair looks SWEET!!!! hehehe. Like I need another 1000W psu..... :p

...gm

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Your HDD should have at least one year of warranty. You can RMA it at anytime during that period.

EDIT: Company PSUs are for squares. I build my own!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh and you LAY GOLDEN eggs too!!!!! :p

Your drooling over it and you know it!! :D

.....gm

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I designed and built my computer circuits line conditioner/VRM into the power box, but I had a few suggestions along the way and a Buck/Boost Transformer capable of handling a 30A 115v circuit! No more low voltage this summer! LOL!!;>)

Russ

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it only does it when i restart the puter. when its up and running its fine. only whne i restart or start it up

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

tbh, most, if not ALL 1k+ PSUs have the longer caseing on the psu.

all they need is an 750-800W HX series and i think they will have cornered the market.

btw these are made by CWT.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

[​IMG]

take a look at this

now can someone explain to me why a ODD would cause my problem. i took out the hdd still had the problem. i listend to everything in the case and it sounded like the odd was makeing the noise. so i unhooked it from the ide cable, turned everything back on i didnt hear anything. so i turn'd up the oc to 3.5ghz was fine so now its at 3.6 and running fine. but im minus a burner. my liteon LH-18A1P.TEARS are falling....

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i take it all back. i just shut it and restarted it . same thing. heard the clicking noise and it rebooted itself in mid restart. back at default settings. im gonna take the IDE hdd completely out pci-e card and all and see what it gets me????

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just do a barebones config. Take out whatever you don't need.

Have you checked to see if it's a fan making all the noise?

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im messing with the fans now. i dont think it is one of them???i did switch my ODD over to the PCI-e 1x card and put ide hdd on the mobo ide slot. it is seen now in the bios, but i tried to put XP on it and said i had a error of some sort so im doing the check disc on it right now. i want to get xp on it so i can boot up with it instead of the sata drive that has xp on it so i can see if it is the sata drive that is acting up?

@GM
    maybe your right it might be that PSU just aint enough to handle the OC at 3.6ghz. if all this dont work(checking the sata hdd) i might just have to back it down to 3.42ghz and leave it until i can get a bigger PSU??? but to be honest i doubt its the PSU...

its just so damn hard to find out what is makeing that noise????

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i dont know what it is but when i push my case, with the side open so i can see and hear whats going on, push it back under my desk i can here some clicking like a connection being made of some sort? i dont loose power or my screen but you can hear it doing something. it only does it when i push it backwards not when i pull it out???? dont know if this may be a problem or not?

maybe the monitor where it plugs into the back of the board might be causeing the GPU to do something funny???

ok im looking at the cpu right now and its temps.core#2 is higher than core#1. ive never seen this before. i am running the chck/dsc on the ide hdd. maybe its doing the work with the 2nd core????

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  16. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob do you have the "side" fan installed?? I wouldn't think you could with the cooler and the side fan but hey there might some contact there. ;)

Your video card?? Do you have it screwed in?? I don't trust those silly "tooless" hooties with PCI-x cards... my opinion here but that's how I see it. ;)

There's so many things that make clicking sounds.

You got crickets?? hehehe. :p

.....gm

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Don't even talk about cricket! I just played for 8 hours straight this morning and I'm so damn tired. I have a research paper due tomorrow too!

I don't see why the vid card would make those noises, unless a wire is getting in the fans way.

18. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@CincyRob,
    Do you have access to a stethescope? You can localize the sound by carefully holding it near different components and listening for the loudest sound. Or, use a rolled up paper tube.. just bouncing ideas around buddy. Unless the clicking is from the big red machine trying to bet against itself in the upcoming season.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

noi havent had the side fan plugged in the past couple days since i started haven this problem.

for some reason i cant install XP on either of these ide HDD. i chose the ide HDD to be the first drive choosen in the setup. im wondering if i need t ounplug the sata drive from the mobo and try to install XP on the ide hdd

i got the CPU @ 3.42ghz 380 bus speed 1520 rated FSB
    mem is on the 2.5 multi 950 MHZ total just under rated 1066.
    its running on orthos fine right now. but will it shut down and reboot normally or will it go into its double boot up mode??lol

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well its a good thing i guess... no matter how pizzed i am bout now you all can make me laugh...lol

well i take it back about running ok on orthos 9 mins in and it fail'd im testing just cpu now.

EDIT:
    7 mins in on orthos just CPU. failure!!!!!!!!!!i think vcore is back down to normal ill check that???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.