1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Do you guys know if ConvertXtoDVD uses all 4 cores?

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i think i read somewhere that there are a few programs that would require useing the 3rd or 4th core of a quad core. not sure if it was here @AD or over at dvdhounds.???

i dont think convertxtodvd was one of them.

i think fasfrank has a quad core and has asked this same kinda question. might wanna PM him and ask him directly

EDIT:
    well i bumped the vcore back up to 1.35v and it is running (well past 9 mins) now on orthos... got some carpet cleaning to do and i will shut it down and restart and see what happens.?????

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well orthos has ran on it for a little over a hour now,@3.42ghz bus speed 380mhz rated FSB 1520mhz mem multi at 2.5=950mhz a little under stock 1066. i did leave the latency on auto instead of manual the timing is at 5-6-6-22 2t

ive fired it up 3 different times at these settings and now problems as of yet(KNOCK ON WOOD)

guess this is what im stuck with...lol ;)~

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I guess you are. Well good luck, let's hope that CPU degradation stuff is isolated.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Is it because you're a toe rag and an Insolent Twerp? LOL!! Hmm ...No, let me think!! Could it be because you've got a Q6600, and "HE DOESN"T"!! ROFLMAOTIH!!

Overclocking at the Speed of Light,
    Russ (LMAO!)

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Then he should hate me for getting a Q6600 lol.

When I hate someones guts they are probably giving me attitude.

Tripplite, don't feel bad, I probably paid too much for it anyway. Wait till march 15 and you can get one for much less than what I paid.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So what you're saying is, my "hedging my bets" approach by limiting to 1.4V was right? :p
    Pepp: I posted that link in another thread, I forget which. Looks like it's based off the CWT ChannelWell design, since Seasonic don't make PSUs that big. 140mm fan though, I hope it's not the Yate Loon, or Corsair's reputation for silent PSUs won't extend to this model!
    Abuzar: You're mad, all you saved is $20 by doing that! You could probably sell the stock cooler with the retail version for that much, the stock coolers for the Quads are good!

Rob: Could be a loose power connector arc-ing, but usually the PSU can detect that and will shut the system down...

Built my cousin's PC over the weekend, no major hitches. Only hard bit was getting the hard drive and DVD drive out of the old PC's case!
    Didn't even need to look at the BIOS, booted straight into his old windows install, just needed re-activation and a change of drivers. Whole process was done in less than 2 hours. CPU seems relatively speedy, no cooling problems, hard disk is on the slow side but then it's old and it's full, and initially it was HEAVILY fragmented. That took longer to do than to build the whole PC and install the drivers!

Specs:
    E2160 CPU
    2x1GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 CAS4
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
    Powercolor HD3870 SCS3
    Corsair VX 450W
    Coolermaster Centurion RC-532
    Scythe S-Flex SFF21E Rear fan

I'm pleased with the case and the fan, the centurion is relatively well made and produces few vibrations, though it's not really any better than my NZXT Lexa Blackline in that regard, it's half the cost!
    S-Flex 1200 is awesome, barely audible and pushes loads of air.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

its funny you say that sam. i was thinking along those lines also. seeing i only heard that sound when i pushed my case back under my desk, hense bending/smashing the power cord up???? i will try and straighten it out and see what happens

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The most likely culprit is the mains power cable to the PSU, they often make crackly noises if they're loose, and I don't need to tell you that a loose main power cable will cause you problems!

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i think that might have been my overall problem. I got my cable pretty much straighten out. has a nice big loop behind the case. it is a older cable so it might not be to good in the first place. gona pick up a new one today at microcenter.

and on that note. i desided to try 3.6ghz again. well its running right now. and stablei think in the past if memeory shows me right. when i wouls lose the 3.6 OC is when i would pull my case out to do something to it and the power cable will wiggle around a bit causeing it to go back to the safer default numbers.
    the case has been where it sets now fore a few hours. orthos has been running the first time for about 30 mins fine. i shut it down and it restarts once like it is supose to do. let orthos run again for another 30+mins shut it down restart and its fine. orthos has been running now for a little over a hour now no problems..

but i also did put the mem at a 1:1 ratio.running at 800mhz 2.0 multi when i get done with this post im gonna shut it down again restart and then let orthos run the rest of the day until 11:30 pm tonight or so.

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

At All-

removed heat pipes from my mobo and added thurmaltakes spirit 2 for N&S brigde- put it together and one side of the mobo went dead? Im sick of the board second one...anyways I have a $1000.00 to spend on mobo and CPU and memory. I saw this on tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=3601833&sku=MCM-680ILT-Q6600B

I noticed this CPU is only 2.4 want bigger one my AMD was 2.2- building towards gaming- and what is the differance from the E6600 from the above one Q6600B

Can someone please put the best together for me please...I have around a $1000.00

thanks Ive pulled all my hair out because of this Mobo and spent enough on my 939...time to move up!

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@herrick
    you wanting AMD or INTEL????

16. herrick

herrick Regular member

Intel is riding on top nowa days...Im a AMD fan, BUT Intel is riding the top of the wave for now soooo Intel it is.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick I'm sorry that you've had such issues with that mobo. :(

What do you need for this "NEW" build??

mobo
    cpu
    RAM

^^^^^ is that all??

....gm

18. herrick

herrick Regular member

is that all...thats enough! LOL!!! ya mobo, CPU and ram the rest I can carry over- did you check out the above link? not sure about that ram 2 gigs per stick...and whats the differance between the E and the Q for the 6600?

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@herrick
    take a look at this and see what ya think...im no expert just my idea if i had the $1000 to spend what i would get the second time around.

MOBO
    CPU
    MEM
    and you'll still have $436 left for other goodies not including a $35 MIR.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

you wont need 2gigs per stick not unless you plan on running 64bit vista....
    2x1gig sticks is more than plenty.

the E6600 is the core2duo
    the Q6600 is the quad core.both are great chips cant really go wrong with either

had to correct myself...lol

heres a comparison between the two.
    E6600 or Q6600 is the question

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.