1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    True enough but for the next to nothing cost difference I would try and do a little future proofing by getting the faster Ram. Decide to sell that Quad and get an E8400 or E8500 and you could need more memory speed capability. For the money I would buy the 1066. Then you can run it at pretty much any speed you want!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah except I would never get a dual core again. No re-sale value around here :) People don't care whether it performs better or not, they just see bigger=better. I might get 4GB of RAM and see if I can sell this computer.

So for now I guess it's Crucial Again. This time I'm gonna be running tighter timings instead of high speed, so at least it's a bit different.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right now in this country, if I were selling systems I'd still be putting E6750s in them. Cheap, proven tech, raving overclockers...
    I'm sure you could get more out of the 8000s but they're still rare round here, and the degradation from voltage is very worrying.

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, most people see QUAD and they think DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE!!!

They don't think, oh most apps don't support quad so I wont really need it. Of course it's MY job to convince THEM that they NEED a quad core. It's not my fault they don't do their research.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

People will also, however, notice the markedly different price tag if you use a dual core. Over here they will anyway, £100 is a substantial difference.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's only 30 bucks more.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

£100 difference?? Geez there's only $100 here (@ £50). Why is stuff so expensive in the country with the "strongest" currency? Makes little sense to me. ;)

boozer you should convince folks to use C2D's, it'll save you money and potentially make you more in the end. :D

...gm

Remember I have both systems (Quad and C2D) and I'll say that the C2D is quicker on "normal" apps. I haven't tested DVD RB Pro yet but it'll happen soon enough..... :p

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Gm, it's peoples ingrained mentality, I can't change that.

When did you get a Quad? I'm so excited for mine! lol

Tell me this, can I lap my northbridge heatsink too?

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

It's a short story but I got one a couple of weeks ago right before the CompUSA closed down here. ;)

I don't see why you couldn't lap your NB!! You can always buy an Enzotech or TR!! :D

....gm

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

from my point of view im not too sold on my crucial 1066 so far. i cant even get it to run @1000 let alone it's rated speed, but im thinking my OC problems have been this power cord for my PSU. orthos has run all day at 3.6ghz. no errors. i just shut it down and restarted it twice in 20 mins no problem. ope i didnt get that power cord yet..lol

i dont know if i should try and take my mem multi up to 2.5 which would give me the 1000 on my mem. the next step would be 3.0 and that would put my mem at 1200. thats a little to high over the rated 1066..wish the bios would have a 2.75 multi

what if i changed my CPU multi to say 8x then put the freq to 450. still a 3.6ghz but the mem at2.4 multi would be 1080. just a hair over 1066...is this possible? would i need to up the mem volts if it can be done?

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ah yes, that dreaded word "buy".

You have NO idea how I managed to get a quad core. I'm BARELY managing this. So I'm not big on spending too money extra money right now.

Unlike all you big boys here, I don't have a job. I don't get an allowance either.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well go get one you lazy bum!!!! j/k.... I remember when I was 16. I had summer odd jobs until then and I chose to work in a pizza restaurant for the summer. Good job and it gave me extra cash. lol. Of course that $3.85 (i think that's right) an hour wouldn't go very far now.

Russ (theonejrs) I'm sorry for not posting on your "promotion". I went back looking for something and found that post. Of course I may have posted and don't remember, there's about a 2 week stretch when I was sick that I basically don't remember anything anyways.... lol

So CONGRATS buddy!!!!!

cincyrob you and I are in about the same boat. lol. Well you have about 500 more posts than I do but the SV thing is what I'm talking about. :p

....gm

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah except I kinda lied to you all. I'm actually 15 lol.

The day I turn 16, I'm off to Best Buy. It's kinda depressing too because I'm in 11th grade and all my friends like like 17. How the hell are you supposed to ask out girls TWO years older?!

Anyway, Best Buy... Better than working fast food.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P5N-E had any multiplier you liked, you set the memory speed the same way as you would the CPU speed. Only trouble was, more than half the settings didn't work, as they were black holes!
    The limiting multipliers used on the Gigabyte might be there for a reason. It's odd that you can't get your RAM to 1066mhz though, maybe you had a duff batch. If that's the case, Crucial will probably replace it for free.

Abuzar: Not only do I not have a job, but I have loans that I'll have to start paying off not too far down the line..
    As for your age, I'm a little disappointed. I had the good grace to tell everyone how old I was, so I expected you'd done the same. Nonetheless your ability to advise people on the forums is very creditable for a 15 (and presumably when you started 14) year old.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I know it's kinda bad, but I was like hey it's the internet. Whatever, it's not like it's a big deal, just a little white lie.

Don't mind...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    In theory this should work! It doesn't always work in the real world! Try it, is all I can say!

Thanks for the congrats, BTW!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok after takeing care of some stupidity..i set my CPU multi at 8x450mhz= 3.6ghz. which is where i been all day stable. and my mem multi is at 2.4 giving me a 1080mhz just a tad over the rated 1066. havent run orthos on it yet. thats next..heres CPU-z on what i have now.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/1080.png

is there a benefit to runnning the higher multi? or does it matter if getting the same numbers??? speaking of numbers. my rated FSB is now 1800 isnt that high? i think the board is only rated at 1600????

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Don't worry about the FSB, your board can handle it.

People set higher multi on their memory because faster memory=better performance. Except it doesn't really work that way. You say your memory timings? Well the higher those timings are, the less that extra speed will help.

Actually if you run your memory at a 1:1 ratio and lower your timings to 4-4-4-12 I think your performance will increase, because those are REALLY loose timings.

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  20. greensman

greensman Regular member

If you still have the 8x multi then you're at 3.6. ;)

rob it won't mess up your RAM it just won't run at that speed. ;) You ca lower your timings to 5-5-5-18 and should be able to run at 1066 with little issues. You might have to play with some of the timings a little but you should be able to tighten to those numbers. :D

...gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.