1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whoa, BADASS!

Of course you temps are 61C, are you comfortable with that?

Also no it the same principle as overclocking your memory. The worst that will happen is that it wont work with that setting and then you just try again with something slightly different until you get your best config.

Ok, I'm off to bed. Peace.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I hate shopping and deciding on hardware. I changed my mind again. I'm now considering this mobo and this memory asus and corsair have both performed very well for me in the past. I will have to wait until the memory is back in stock and I'm gonna hold off on the mobo a while to give the X38 chipset time to mature.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    That's the core temps, the CPU temp will be lower. Don't panic at 61-62C core temps under extreme load. You will never get close to those temps in the real world! They are well below what the chip can handle!

Mort81,
    I would rather have this MB instead!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My CPU maxes at 48C in the most demanding of games, and the cores are well up in the sixties, that's normal.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

after checking the CPU temp not the cores. it is at 43c under load.
    and i'll take the 60-62c underload now.. before i rearranged my fans underload was 64-66c.

after some more tinkering i had to do it. yup 4.0 on 9x multi. programs ran. but a little jittery. wouldnt pass in orthos. so i backed it down to 3.7ghz on 9x multi 412mhz and a 1648 rated FSB. i feel more comfortable at that there. its running stable on orthos right now. and most of all.with all the tinkering, shuting down and restarting not one problem with the double bootups. i think that was my problem this whole time bad power supply cord.

4.0ghz

3.7ghz
    and i have mem back on manual running at 2.5 for a close to rated speed of 1030. i can deal with that.

so with all this new info i have. its telling me i should think about the newer PSU before i get my 500gb sata HDD. make sure im power stable before anything else.

i have gotten emails from Crucial,Evga,and Coolermaster. all my rebates have been received and approved so i figure the very end of the month first of next ill get those back $80 total and i'll use that towards a new PSU....so now im on the hunt for a PSU.any tips???
    if im looking at the corsair PSU's what the difference in the HX,VX,TX models? and whats the differencein the so called modular PSU's???

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rob,

good choice of manufacturer for your new psu. there's not much difference in performance between the HX series and VX series. the HX series is modular though, meaning you get an assortment of lengths of molex cables, sata power cables, and gpu six pin power cables and you only use what you need. they plug into the psu. the only fixed cables are the 20+4 pin mobo cable and 4 pin power cable.

to those that pm'ed me, I'll back with ya a little later. little pressed for time right now.

Mort

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Rob - as far as I am aware the main differences are:-

VX - Non-modular - Single Rail

HX - Modular - Multiple Rails

As for modular cables - the corsair ones connect very well and the main difference is you only use the ones you need and they normally look nicer :)

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

After being poked and prodded by various people here at AD I got the HX520....if my CPU and GPU ever arrive I'll tell you how I like it.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok time for some education.. whats the purpose of single rails/multi rails? is this something i shold be looking at when i do decide on a PSU?

yes i can google it but i prefer to actually talking to someone that has delt with stuff first hand and has a opinion instead of reading text that isnt clear at times.. if that makes any sence to anyone..lol

heres a few i picked out
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16817139004,N82E16817139001,N82E16817139005

10. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Nice review - shame the colours used buggers up the eyes - mine are now watering after reading that lol

White text on a black background is never a good idea on a PC screen if you ask me.

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

HX = modular

VX = standard

rob I think with the power consumption of your rig (even with extra SATA drives) you would be ok with something in the 550W range. Of course my opinion here. ;) I didn't need the psu's that I got they were excellent deals at the time so the GM jumped on them. lol.

I'm running the VX-550W in my AMD rig with 4 ODD's (2 SATA), 2 HDD's, average gpu, 3 fans, and 2-4 USB items most of the time. It's plenty of power for that settup. ;)

I think you'll be fine with the one that you have until you buy another and definitely get another power cord!!

btw sent PM...

....gm

edit: cincyrob...
    Lp would tell you to jump on that Corsair 650 and sammy would say get the HX-520!! lol. Who's right?? BOTH!! :p Good price on the 650 and I little more future proof if you decide to sometime add SLi/CF with a new mobo of course. lol.... :p

12. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

From what Ive read this seems to be the common concensus:-

"Most "multiple rail" PSUs connect to a single rail within the PSU anyway. So you just need to make sure to get your PSU from a quality manufacturer.

But then I found this :- http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52911 which shows which modular socket is which of the 3 rails so its very confusing especially when you take load balancing into account - where if a rail gets over extended it "borrows" amps off another rail - how can it do that if they are seperate?

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@LOCO
    long time no see.hows it going?

nice link you have there.now thats why i ask people that know what they are talking about can link ya to GOOD stuff not some junk that i might have found taht ment nothing...lmao

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Because they're really NOT truly separate rails. From what I've read and if I can find the links it's like the breaker box in your house but with the ability to use "extra" power from the "main" rail. I'll look later today or maybe someone can offer a better explanation. ;)

....gm

15. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Another thing to consider when getting a modular PSU is the amount of cables you get as you might find with 8 SATA ports on your motherboard that the HX520 only comes with 4 power connectors for SATA, but 8 for Molex. Ive now used all my SATA ones up and am using one of the Molex ones for a fan, so if I want to put any more SATA drives in Id need convertors :( - but then on the flip side I have more than half a dozen cables Im not using that dont need to clog up the inside of my case.

But then I went onto Asktheramguys forum and they said if I email them with the cables I needed and my address they would send out the extras to me, so if the number of cables is an issue to you you can get around it. I have the link if any one needs more Corsair modular cables.

Edit - the HX520 is SLI certified so can basically also do crossfire if necessary - from what Ive read if a PSU can do one it can do the other.

Edit - Greensman - yep sorry I got that its just the irony didnt come across in my post.

16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

17. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Good call on going with Corsair. The 520W HX is what I'd recommend since it's capable of running a quad core and a top end graphics card without the fan speed rising above idle...

The prices of the VX550 and HX520 are rather mediocre, if you use the same tax level as the UK, it works out at £57 and £68 respectively including delivery, versus around £63 and £71 over here, not much of a difference!
    The TX650 though is an absolute steal, at £60 delivered after the rebate. Over here they're £87 (although you can save an extra £10 if you use week-long delivery, and to be fair delivery in the US isn't really next day anyway)
    I can't help but notice that without the rebate and instant saving, it'd be a whopping £95...

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well im back with a new power cord. pluged it in fire'd the Big Red Machine up no problems. no double bootup went into windows nicely. i checked CPU-z still at 3.7ghz and orthos running for about a hlaf hour make sure its all well..lol

the old cord has 2 flat spots in it. not round like it should be...my dumb azz should have looked at that before i done anything with the build...to excited about the other stuff...lol

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Easily missed my friend.
    On an interesting note, I decided to move my OS drive in its silent enclosure from a 5.25" bay onto a folded up towel on my floor, to experiment with vibrations. Holy cow does it make a difference, the noise level of my PC has more than quartered. The "You could hear a pin drop" expression is almost true!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.