1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's better than 30% now, especially with the 9600s, but still not worth the money IMO.
    Also disregard my post about the memory bandwidth. Turns out CAS2 was all that was required!

2. herrick

herrick Regular member

Sam

Is there a program that I can use to test my SLI on and off?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3dmark, or ingame benchmarks...

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Who the hell is Mr.E?

Rob, while you're at it, read up on crossfire too.

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's me MISTER!!!! You be nice. :p

cincyROBERT is giving me crap about something or another. lol. :p

herrick NICE system buddy. How you likes the E6850?? You OC yet?? It's dang fast w/o it but you can get some more out of it safely!! I see you finally got something to run COOL in your case. hehehe. Just needed some "different" equipment. Congrats buddy!!!!

My personal opinion is SLi is overrated for most users. lol. I think you can get enough from ONE good card if you try hard enough. hehehe. :p

...gm

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

making progress. slowly but surely. got the corsair DDR2 1066 dominators and a TR ultra 120 extreme with a scythe s-flex SFF21F ordered. I'll probably wait to order the corsair 620HX until later this month. the MIR is good until march 31st.

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ greeny

Not going to play hard in till CPU is seated all the way...100 hrs should do it[ used artic 5]...then 0 boy! like it so far, no LOVE IT so far!!!!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You!!! I thought it was Mr. Ed! ROFLMAO!! You know, A Horse is a Horse of course of course!

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

there that term is again.."seated in" how do we/i seat it in?just everyday use?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I think he's referring to the curing time for the AS-5! LOL!! Me? I do a proper burn in and then I run it stock for a day or so and try to use all my software to see how things work! Then when I up the speed, I compare how everything works!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

here's a good deal. too bad I'm not a nvidia nforce chipset fan.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

That is a GOOD deal!! btw don't let docTY hear you say that, I think he's a little partial to the nVidia chipset. hehehe. :p

btw has anyone tried the new 780 chipset?? I have the Striker Extreme (680 chipset) but haven't pushed anything yet. ;)

....gm

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    You might want to do a re-think on what you are going to build. I found this for $499. You were asking about the 780i chipset and i happened to come across this! Q6700 and 3 way SLI too! Check it out!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...-Details.asp?EdpNo=3714946&sku=MBM-780I-Q6700

I went ahead and bought that Acer Aspire 5610 laptop for $200! I couldn't pass it up. All I need is to get the recovery disk from Acer for $30 and it will be whole again. I finally found the exact information as there are more 5610 models than a dog has fleas. New they are selling for almost $1000. I just found out today that this one isn't even a year old yet! Not bad though, C2D 2250 1.73GHz, 1GB Ram, 120GB Sata hard drive, WiFi, DVD Burner with Media Center controls and the crystal Brite screen! Sweet!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    I have no idea as to why it even works! You can't do that with Sata data cables! You will eventually have problems with them because you should not put any sharp bends in them! At least that's what I've heard here and in other forums. Maybe someone has a definitive answer to that question!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hey GM,

I just got off the phone with the doc. I gave him a personal hello from you. he told me you were so full of $hit btw (only joking).

he doesn't actually have a mobo with the 780i chipset yet but he is pretty partial to his EVGA 680i mobos. like me, he too is fairly interested in the asus maximus formula X38 mobo. he's waiting for the price to come down a little. maybe after the X48 chipset becomes mainstream.

he didn't know of any variant of the X48 that would accomodate DDR2 memory. only DDR3.

Russ,

I saw that. posted the link earlier. I have no interest in the nvidia chipsets though and don't ever intend on using SLI. from what I've heard and read, the intel chipsets are better OC'ers, with the exception of the Doc and his nvidia 680i's and know how.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

GM,

me likes the looks of those fans but man those green cables stick out like a diamond in a goats a$$ (just razzin ya buddy).

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Mr.E
    so you have 4 of them 140mm fans going in there? 2 on top(where mine is going)1 on the rear and bottom??? i see why your temps are in the low 30's...

i dont know if i said this before but i have the big red machine here right next to my old HP system(think i will call it the OLD REDSOX BOX)lmao and i have my wireless mouse and keyboard next to the HP stuff.. i go and get the keyboard to the hp and have the mouse to the new build and wonder why it aint working...lol

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nope, 120mm on the rear and 140mm on the bottom. So only 3 140mm total. I tried to install one on the rear but there wasn't enough room. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get yours. ;)

Part of the reason that I have a KVM switch. lol. PLUS the fact that I dont have the room for 2 of everything. :D

.....gm

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.