1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i guess i might have to get that KVM switch and see how it works???

you reading this bigwill??? you still got that handy?lol

2. herrick

herrick Regular member

@theonejrs

When you get a new mobo, CPU and cooler...you use the stock fan then use software to compare that set-up to the better cooler? Is this just for info?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

herrick,
    I've compared them, yes. I don't do it every time! LOL!! A while back I took on comparing the Zalman 9500LED vs the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro and the Freezer 64 on 3 platforms. The Arctics won all three! Only by a few degrees. I happened to have all 3 platforms here and the 9500 fits AMD and Intel, so I though I would have some fun! LOL!! I only use the stock cooler if I have to. I did my friend in Chicago's with it as she installed the Freezer 7 Pro there. I wouldn't think about shipping it from here to there with a CPU Cooler mounted!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Geez, I had to re-read that too... lol.

I think he means that he runs the computer at STOCK speeds until he feels it's properly burned in, then he has his way with an OC on the 'new' computer. ;)

I'm of the same opinion as most here. The stock cooler is ok but the after market coolers are much better!! My opinion anyway.....

If you can grab one a TR 120 Ultra or Extreme are great but the AC Freezer 7 Pro is dang good for the money....

....gm

add: I see you already have an after market cooler......

edit: man i'm missing these posts.... lol... Sorry Russ your message came in as I was pushing 'reply'....

edit 2: link to AC Freezer 7 Pro
    link to TR 120-Ultra
    ^^^^^just to give you an idea of the design and principle.... ;) In all honesty these work better than the one you got maybe only a few degrees but better none the less.......

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Actually I was pretty impressed with the stock cooler that came with my D-940. I used it to set up Gina's and OC it. Only a couple of degrees warmer than with the Freezer 7 Pro!

Why would I want to spend the money when I have no use for it? I think I've more than demonstrated that with the right case ventilation, the Freezer 7 is excellent! Besides, I'm not giving up my case! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. herrick

herrick Regular member

Ya...I was pleased w/ my freezer 64 in till I put it in this case...I blame the Mobos- I was going to get the freezer 7 but wanted to try a different style...so far Im pleased- been on PC all day and Im on # 4 burn and temp is CPU 24c and Mobo 34c

should be a little better when the Actic 5 is in there more...coolers dont have a tight tolerance and need time to fill in all the little, little holes LOL

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Russ,
    the message was at herrick actually. I had so many frikkin edits and such that it was difficult to tell. lol. excuse the confusion..... ;)

herrick if that cooler is giving you temps like that then that's great, just be sure to pay attention to the "core" temps. ;) You might d/l coretemp just for comparison's sake.... link for core temp

....gm

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

thanks core temps are #0 28 #1 31

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Forgot this earlier. ;)

CM-690 case
    E6850
    Gigabyte P35-DS3P
    Mushkin DDR2 1066 RAM
    2- 320 Seagates
    4- ODD's (down from 5...hehehe)
    3- 140mm Streamliner (AeroCool)
    2- 120mm Extreme Turbine (AeroCool) - one on TR Ultra 120 cpu cooler, one on rear exhaust

[​IMG]

That was taken this morning when the ambient temps were 69F (20.5C).

...gm

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

so what you are saying the core temps are the thing to look at...how do you lower those? their incased so would it have to do w/ voltage and timing..call me stupid, ROTFL...cause I is!!! that looks like a program I had..ever____ something- what is it???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You lower core temps they way you would normally try to lower temps. Try as less volts as possible without getting unstable, use a better CPU cooler, and move your PC to a place in your house cooler than the rest.

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

FIRST thing is you aren't st00pid!! Maybe n00bish like me but far from st00pid, I've read your "writings"!! ;)

The cores are cooled from the "heat sink" on the cpu it self. If you can cool the "heat sink" better or faster then the "core temps" stay lower. I'm not saying the "general" cpu temp isn't important it's just not as important as the "core temps", course that's my opinion. ;)

Another thing I should mention is my E6850 is OC'ed to 3.6GHz, soooo the temps are gonna be higher by nature compared to your 3.0GHz E6850. HOW much I can't answer that because I added the TR 120 Ultra after the cpu (cooler) seated in, so the temp comparison's wouldn't be "accurate". :D

Good luck and it's nice to see another "member" with the same cpu. ;)

....gm

edit: added the word cooler....

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What do you mean the CPU seated in? The only reason temps go down after time is because the heatpaste sets in after 300 or so hours. So if you applied new stuff the process starts all over again.

That's as far as I know.

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

Correct...[not so much of the time though- its changed for me] from what I understand and the lingo my computer guy uses? [seated in that is]

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

does the freezer 7 turn more then 7700 rpm?

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

There's arguments on the time it takes, 100-500 from some of the "arguments" I've read. ;)

I added the word "cooler" to the above post. Excuse the omittance. :p

It's been about 100 hours or so for the 'new' cooler on the E6850 so it's getting close to doing some more testing. :D

....gm

17. herrick

herrick Regular member

@greeny

Hmmm... your OCed and you temps are about the same but the core temps are not yours are better...My case is known for air pockets but should be able to fix w/ cooler...mine rpms are 7700 w/ the cooler I use now

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

herrick,
    Lord no! 2500 rpm max! It's range is 800 to 2500 rpm!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. herrick

herrick Regular member

the faster the better right? depending on how many blades? more blades less noise?

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

to a certain point.... How much noise are you willing to tolerate?? The extreme turbine 120's by AeroCool (@ 1800rpm and @ 90cfm) are a little loud but VERY effective as you can see. On the other hand the 140's (@ 100rpm and @ 55cfm) are very quiet for the amount of air they push. :D I may look at some other 120's but these things are not to bad for as much as they push. lol. I might have to look at Russ's favorite fan for "quiet" high volume air....

btw anyone who might know the answer.... Would it be wise to use something like this to reduce the speed of the fan as well as the noise?? tia.....

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.