1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrick

herrick Regular member

Hmmm... Im try'en to compare between my cooler which turns at 7700 rpm and the freezer 7

so in my limited thinking my cooler will do a better job at cooling????

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

I don't mean to burst your bubble or get your goat but I wish you would have asked for some opinions before you got the zalman cnps7700. it is better than the oem hsf but not in the same ballpark as their cnps9500 or cnps9700. actually, I would have suggested an artic freezer 7 pro way before the zalman cnps7700.

for the money the AF 7 pro is hard to beat. I've got to swallow some pride when I say that since I am using a zalman cnps9500led which is pretty comparable to the AF 7 pro cooling wise but costs roughly twice as much.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

herrick,
    No, it's all about how much air they can move (CFM), and how quietly they can do it! A Thermaltake Thunderblade can move 78 cfm of air at 2000 rpm at a claimed 21dBA (don't believe it as it's off by about a good 15dBA at least)! My Silverstone 120mm FM-121 can move about 70 cfm at 1300 rpm. It's capable of 110.03 at 2500 but the noise would drive you out of the room at a claimed 39.5 dBA. There would never be any need for that speed. I have an 80mm FM-83 that runs at 1300 rpm and moves about 26 cfm. Between those 2 and the PSU fan, I move over 100 cfm through my case! Not silent but not annoying either. I use the stock Cooler Master 80mm intake fan on the front and the 2 Silverstones are exhaust in the rear and side cover. I get a large amount of airflow through the static air vents in the case, which keeps other things cool, like my OC'd video card and my memory. Does the job well and the Stones come with their own individual fan controller. I've been using them for over a year now with no complaints!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220023
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999344

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

Well I'll tell ya...don't have a bubble- and its been some time and life changes for the goat...AND sense I dont think that highly of my self- nothing to worry about...its all about the learning, and your right should of asked- I was just at the store and could not help myself...concidering my past issues w/ my PC and NOT being pleased!

So NOW I ask..your saying the frezer 7 is better then what I have- Ill order now...HELL im eating top rommen for mths all ready- a few more dont hurt...as long as my baby is runn'en cool

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

herrick,
    Just looked up the specs on your cooler and your fan's rpm is 1000-2000. ;)

Just because the fan may turn faster doesn't always equate into "better" cooling. On coolers like the TR Ultra 120 it does help but at some point the noise is intolerable. ;)

MOST of the coolers with "heat pipe" tech are gonna be better than the coolers that use the "block" of copper with a bunch of fins around it. ;) NOT a bad design I just think the coolers with heat pipe tech have better cooling potential... :D

.....gm

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

I was by no means trying to offend you. that's why I said "I'm not trying to burst your bubble or get your goat". I appoligize if that came over the wrong way. sorry man.

Mort

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

wow...that took some time- wish I had it... [speaking of the screen saver- another joke LOL]

9. herrick

herrick Regular member

NO, NO,No...my friend you took it wrong- that was me try'en to be fummy LOL

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

TIME is taken advantage of only by the insomniacs!!!! lol. I get 4-6 hours of sleep a night so I can be with you people. NOT!!!!

Mort it's not possible to offend him, I've tried and he keeps coming back for more. hehehe... j/k my friend!!!! :D

btw I lived on top ramen and generic cold cereal when my wife and I first married. Man those were the times. ;) Loosing weight cause you didn't have the money for "extra" food. Well I've made up for that.... lol.... don't believe just go look!! :p

....gm

edit:Sorry for the OT post but I couldn't help it....

herrick,
    I agree (man that drives me nuts....lol) that the ACF 7 is about the best bang for the buck. I think it's $27 plus S&H from the EGG right now. You might find a better price by looking around but I doubt it. ;) If you can swing the TR Ultra or Extreme it's good too. BUT they're normally about $20 more than the ACF 7. ;) hth......

11. herrick

herrick Regular member

SOOOO... now back to the cooler- I hear newegg a callen...I respect all of you guys opinons- or I wouldnt bother- but Ive been here though other threads for years and people have been great and wonderful and I have copied a fews PCs...so flood me with your opinions one what I should get for a cooler... it seems the 7 which I would kick myself in the heard for cause I was pleased w/ the 64 on my AMD...no matter top rommen

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

ROTFL...Im still 325 LBS- must be differant rommen

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Here's something to look at too herrick. ;) link to TR Ultra 120A btw e-jones will have to help you install this for sure. It's a little tricky and time consuming but you'll love it when it's in. You have to buy a GOOD 120 to go on it tho.. well unless you have one handy. :)

....gm

ROFLPIMP at different Top Ramen.... hehehe

14. herrick

herrick Regular member

Cant get noth'en past ya...LOL

15. herrick

herrick Regular member

120 assuming you mean fans...nop sure dont- have those deltas 0 boy they do the job...just cant hear any one next to me LOL- have stock fans that came with my case...I think might of thrown them in the trash- break it down to me why the freezer 7 is better then what I have...and after looken at the box GREENYs right 1000 to 2000. but no cfm...

16. Wololo

Wololo Member

I am looking for advice - I plan to upgrade my PC in a couple of weeks with a budget of around £500. I was thinking of a E6750 C2D, Gigabyte GA P35-DS3R ATX, 2GB Crucial Ballistix and a BFG nVidia GeForce 8800GT OC 512MB, PCI Express 2.0. I'll also have to purchase a hard disk and a PSU. Is this a decent enough setup or not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

17. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Welcome wololo - all good parts - the e6750 is a great CPU (some might suggest trying to get an e8400 instead (same sort of price, but better performance). The mtherboard is great we love the new gigabyte boards on here lol (I have the C version of the same board and cincyrob has that exact one If I remember correctly).

I believe the ram is fine - again I think Rob has some.

Also the Graphics are nop notch - good model (especially at todays prices) and good make.

For the PSU can I recommend a corsair unit like the HX520 or HX620 - perfectly suited to your needs and very very stable to boot.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

It's decent enough but what do you plan on doing with the system? Are you a gamer? If so then the 8800 GT will be utilized but if not you're wasting money. ;) Nothing against BFG but I prefer XFX, EVGA, or Sapphire. :) The cpu and mobo will play nice together so that's good enough. The Gigabyte mobo is simple and offers a few BIOS goodies.

Don't forget to look at OCZ, Corsair, and Mushkin for RAM alternatives. Are you wanting DDR2 800 RAM or DDR2 1066 RAM? DDR2 800 is cheaper and will/should perform to the standards that you need. ;)

good luck with your choices....

....gm

19. Wololo

Wololo Member

It will mainly be for gaming but my main concern (which is probably the same for everyone)is that there isn't something about to hit the shelves which is more appropriate.

My other query is what size of PSU I need - I don't intend to OC - at least not yet!

I assume 2GB of RAM is sufficient?

20. Wololo

Wololo Member

Sorry Greensman, the question about the RAM - 800 or 1066. I don't have a choice as yet - is there a big difference in performance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.