1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Pepp,

thanks for the links. I'll give them a good read a little later.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    You make that sound like there's a big hole in the case where the fans go! LOL!! If there are vent holes in the case where the fans go, then I wouldn't use the grilles at all. Anything you put in the path of the airflow has the potential to make more noise, especially a grille placed on top of vent holes. My old landlord bought a computer from Office Depot that had 2 side cover fans with chrome guards mounted on the outside, over the fan vent holes, and they used to whistle. I took the useless guards off and the whistling went away!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Ah okay - look at the blade angle on your other fans (ignore the guards etc) and place them accordingly, ie the blades will bend the same way as the back but the opposite to the side/front.

4. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i got them right now..lol
    man these things push out some air!!!!! and you cant hear them. i have 1 pluged into the board and 1 straight power.

im gonna take a pic of it, but dont laugh at all the wires flying around i havent done much with them.. i need a longer IDE ribbon to help make it look better

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Wololo,
    You've made some good choices there. Personally I think going with the 1066 memory over the 800 is a smart thing to do. I know I wished that I had done it when I first built my E4300 as it would have "future-proofed" me for when I upgraded to an E6750. The 8x multiplier of the 6750 limits my OC to about 3.5GHz as my current G.Skill memory will only OC about 10%, limiting me to about 880MHz or so. I know a lot of people have OC'd their 800MHz memory to 1066, but there's no guarantee that it will do it, and no recourse with the manufacturer if it doesn't! If the 1066 memory won't run at 1066 then it's on the memory manufacturer to make it right!

As far as the BFG goes, I would look to XFX or EVGA as the components used in their video cards are better quality than used in the BFG!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Does anyone know where in the UK you can get 140mm fans from Ive tried Ebuyer, Scan, Aria, Dabs, Overclockers, overclock, amazon none stock any.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@sytyguy

thanks for that info. i had 2 errors in there for the time it happend.
    and it basicly said what i did..i was trying to access files on my other puter via networking at the same time my AVG was updateing and it caused the error.i gotta remember that so i can check again if it happens again. so it was just a couple software issues, clashing with each other..

heres a couple pics... not to good.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1629933_Picture002.jpg
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1629937_Picture009.jpg
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1629938_Picture006.jpg
    http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1629941_Picture007.jpg

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Wonder what postage from Texas to London is??? I've got a few. hehehe. ;P

Sorry Pepp, couldn't refuse. :D

....gm

rob you is a silly man!! NORMALLY the "frame" portion (rear) of the fan is exhaust.... :) hth...... little late tho....

10. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Some good prices there - especially impressed with the memory - £5 cheaper than anywhere else Ive found (and 20-30 cheaper than most places) - where you seen it at as i might need to check the site out :)

However if I was you I would get the PSU from Amazon and then you can get either:-

Point of View 8800GT - highly rated on another forum I use.

XFX 8800GT as Russ suggested or
    EVGA 8800GT also as Russ suggested (also comes with free crysis)

Both are cheaper than the Big Friendly Giant.

While Im on it can anyone see the difference between

THIS and THIS

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

12. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Cheers Sam - see the guys were right lol

Do you know if they are as useful as the stats?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Pepp: See the rest of this post for the real world results. Realistically though, they're well worth having. There's no difference between those two graphics cards, because both links go to exactly the same page.

Herrick: The Freezer 7 Pro has a speed of 800-2400rpm when new. After a few weeks that changes to 850-2700. Seems to happen to a lot of people and nobody knows why. At minimum speed the noise level is about 18-19dB, and at full speed it's about 40dB. (@ 1m)
    For reference the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F 120mm fan at full speed (1600rpm) is about 32dB. As for the more blades less noise, it's the reverse. Fans with more blades make more noise, but also push more air. At 1600rpm, the Silverstone FM121 pushes about 85CFM versus the 70 of the Scythe, but is about 37dB versus the Scythe's 32. Most fans have 7 blades as its a tried and proven design, but higher blades are good for decent flow if you're not so fussed about pressure.
    The 120mm Aerocool fans at 1800 revs are likely to be in the 40dB ballpark but the 140mm ones at only 1000rpm are about 24dB at full speed, and push significantly more than half the air. A pair of them, and they'll push as much air as a FM121 at full speed, when it's in the high 40s for decibels! (2 of the Aercools are about 25-26dB)

Greensman: The Nexus 10V adapters work fine, but those resistors get quite hot, place them in the airflow path of the fans if you can. For 80m fans it's fine, but if you use a high powered 120mm like the Aerocool turbine, they'll need some cooling on their own.

Herrick: Your cooler won'tspin at 7700rpm, a Zalman 7700 (it's just the model number) is the same speed as the Arctic (2500-2700rpm), but with a bigger fan. Thing is though, the Arctic is a better heatsink! I think the Arctic should ALWAYS be chosen over the Zalmans now, because if you spend enough money to beat it (the 9700, the 9500 can only equal the freezer) you could have a far superior Thermalright Ultra 120, or if you've no space, an Ultra 90.

Wololo: Welcome to the thread (my greeting is somewhat belated, so I apologise) . That's a solid parts list. Look for a Corsair HX 520W Power supply and a hard drive from either WD or Seagate. As long as you don't buy the 150GB Raptor, you can't go wrong with either brand. The WD-AAKS and 7200.11 are both excellent series.
    2GB of memory is sufficient for *most* games, but if you max the detail levels in some games (which the 8800GT can handle, at least at normal screen resolutions, so 1680x1050 and below) then you could potentially use more than 2GB. This currently only really happens in three games - Supreme Commander, Crysis and STALKER. Despite the fact that games like Assassin's Creed claim they want 3GB of RAM, they use nowhere near it, unless you're using Vista.
    For the 800 or 1066 memory speed, 800 is fine for most, but since 1066 is cheap, it's usually recommended, since it overclocks better. You may not wish to overclock, but if you do, you'll want good memory (most of us here could help you with that process too, it really is easy in the modern age of Core 2 CPUs...)
    CPUs do come with decent heatsinks, but if you want to overclock, or if your case airflow is mediocre (in a Xaser it may well be) you'd be advised to at least step up to Arctic Cooling's Freezer 7 pro.

Cincyrob: It's a shame your Ballistix haven't turned out as good as some, apologies for the wrong recommendation there so to speak, but up until recently the Crucial stuff was good.
    Glad you like the 140mm Aerocools, they're brilliant fans. Trouble is, it's no longer the red machine, it's blue!

Pepp: Usurped! Lol only joking mate. It's odd how despite the large number of british users aD has, I seem to be the one everybody thinks of in this thread.

Mort: Sapphire's single slot coolers are crap, don't bother with them. Unless you can guarantee you're getting a dual slot card with Sapphire, go with HIS instead. Go with a Radeon HD3850 512MB, they're solid performers. The 9600GT performance in normal environments (without filters) is a little weak, and all the other Geforces are a tad on the expensive side, even in the US, compared to the 3850. If you don't game, realistically, you won't need anything more than a 3850 for ages.

14. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Cheers Sam - will order myself one.

Ive also updated my link above for the This and This.

And the reason everyone thinks of you is because you are an addict and have been around since you were in nappies lol - Ive only been here for 2 and a bit months (although seems longer due to the familiarity levels) so I completely understand them thinking of you and forgetting about me :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, not exactly. I've been here since I was 15. As I understand it that's only how old Abuzar is now and he's been around a fair while too.
    As for the 8800GTs, I'm not exactly sure. The £149.58 one has the cooler from the 8800GS...

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yup, and were both addicts. lol We should probably go out and get a life and hot girls while we are at it! haha

I'm supposed to be getting my new Memory today, and I SHOULD be getting the Quad Core as well since he SAYS he shipped it out 4 days ago!!! I'm getting really pissed off now, I hate using this old computer.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris re:pepp77,
    And I thought I was the one getting senile! LOL!! Look just a bit closer and the 149 Pound one Has an HDTV output! It's also a different model card! Check the last 4 digits of the number, YHF4. The 151 Pound one doesn't have an HDTV Output and is model YDF4! ROFLMAO! Get the 149 Pound one, Pepp77! Model PV-T88-YHF4.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't say I didn't warn you!
    Theone: The other one has HDTV out as well...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Damn Sam, you're making me work today! LOL!! I called XFX as it's a local call for me, as they are only 20 minutes away! LOL!! They are not the same card! The YDF4 is an OEM card with a different variable speed fan and fan housing and PC board that is made for XFX by another manufacturer. The YHF4 has a better fan that's locked at 29% and has a larger blade and longer fan housing and is built by XFX! The fan speed can be unlocked through a bios flash available from XFX, on-line!

I should have done that in the first place! ROFLMAO!! You are correct, both cards do have HDTV out! My bad!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got the big red machine on a road trip. brought it to work with me to playaround with in my free time.
    tried it again at 4.05ghz.. would run programs but not stable in orthos and then started sticking some.. i thentried sandra burn in test. it gave me a error of not enough virtual mem available....
    does that mean i dont have my mem turnd up high enough to get the 4.05ghz working properly? i did leaveit at the 2.0 mu;ti putting the mem at 900mhz..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.