1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Zoloat
    I would look at this board...the New updated version of the one you chose...I would go with this latest revision of this board...EVGA has resolved issues with the first generation of board...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813188013

Make sure the memory you chose is listed as compatable with this board...can-not stress this enough...most problems people have is with memory and board compatability...check at manufactures site...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. jvwheel

jvwheel Member

Zoloat, I have chose the same MoBo for basically the same reasons and I have always used ASUS in my previous builds. My major complaints about my past ASUS technical support experiences have been inconsistent and contradictory responses leaving me to depend on the forum communities for problem resolution. This is probably our best source of information and problem resolution, and a resource I take advantage of, and contribute to, regularly. All things being equal, I like the eVGA board because of the good experiences of other forum members, as well as the offer of a lifetime of renowned eVGA customer service, and a lifetime guarantee on the product. I expect a good experience with my build (described in prior posts) and excellent customer service, as well as over the top technical support, now and when I upgrade a year in the future. I really like this board for the upgradeability of the processor and the video, as well as the OCing capability. I feel it is superior to the ASUS comparables because of the depth of the OCing options, including the un-linking of related components, an often cited source of frustration for OCers. I invite you to check out the following review of the eVGA MoBo; it influenced my decision and may help you with yours’. Good luck with your system. Best, JV

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/motherboards/evga/680i_sli/3.htm

3. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

DOH! well at least you caught yourself greensman...heh...80wire not pin...sorry for the confusion cincyrob. there are 2 wires per hole..one of which is usually blocked. The analogy stays the same though. and most round cables these days are 80 wire, in the exception of the floppy one. Sorry again.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  4. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Zoloat
    I have one of those Cooler Master Cases...I paid $9.99 for it...was not worth much more then that...It is not to Cooler Master normal quality...It was Ok for the price...I like Cooler Masters cases...just not this one...

I would recommend the Enermax Chakra...
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270413

Did you look at the revised EVGA board...It is worth the extra money...It is always best to get the latest revision of a Motherboard...

5. bugen

bugen Member

6. bugen

bugen Member

7. Zoloat

Zoloat Member

@Lp531

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look at the case and it seems to be worth the extra money. Newegg has it for 65, so I'll go with that. I think I'll go with your suggestion about the motherboard as well to keep my options open for later. Also, I noticed that it has 1 x PCIe Graphics expansion slot in addition to it's PCIe x16 slots. Is that slot meant for a Physics card? (I'm not even close to considering buying one of those any time soon, but it has piqued my curiosity.)

8. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Zoloat
    Newegg charges $16.00 shipping...Zipzoomfly has FREE shipping...and includes a FREE 120mm Led Fan...and FREE Cold cathode light kit...

Installing Front 120mm as an exhaust seems to works best with this case...

I believe...I read that it was for..."Autodesk 3ds Max" which is what I think you mean by "Physics Card"...

But do not take my word for it...I would research it...If it was something you were interested in...

@greensman
    Love my New Desk Top...I am Off to Valhalla...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  9. okayl

okayl Guest

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

All that should be compatable. Any particular reason why you are going with AMD? Intel core 2 duo's are the best bang for the buck and will outperform AMD X2's. The E6600 C2D will walk all over that cpu.

Couple of suggestions: go with a 7600 gpu instead of a 7300 for only a few dollars more. Twice the pipes and GDDR3. You won't regret it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049

Here's a good deal on some very good memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

good call Mort your on the money as always bro thumbs up!!

12. okayl

okayl Guest

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks aabbccdd. Nothing against AMD but as we both know intel has the archetecture/technology advantage right now with their C2D's even with lower clock speed cpu's. That's not a bad price for that AMD they had listed though. It'd tear up any netburst tech intel.

Nothing against the kingston memory either but you can't hardly beat corsair and it's less money right now.

I highly recommend the 7600 over the 7300 by all means. The one I linked to is even better than most 7600 GT's Core clock is 580mhz as oppossed to 560mhz and memory clock is 1450mhz as oppossed to 1400mhz.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Mort81 do you work for BFG, lol.

okayl,
    The video card that Mort81 linked you to is the same one he recommended a month or two ago to me. It's a great card and works like a champ in my system. If you decide on it you'll like it. JM2C. ;-)

....gm

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

okal,

Are you on a strict budget? The BFG Tech card I linked to is a little faster. Are you aware the memory in your last post is only PC2 5200 instead of PC2 6400? I've never used a sunbeam case but it looks ok. Nice tooless design. Is it steel or aluminum?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

greensman,

Here's what I like about it.

Also very good price with MIR. It also has a lifetime warranty (as do some other manufactures, evga being one).

17. okayl

okayl Guest

okay I have gotten the DDR2 800 ram, I was also wondering why do people need to flash the BIOS? Do they do it in Windows at the run command or during boot up?

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  19. greensman

greensman Regular member

aabbccdd,
    As someone has said before that's no case, it's a WIND TUNNEL. rofl. hehehe.

What about this board from MSI, I don't know anything about them but it has good reviews and seems to have better features.

I'll admit I don't know much but it looks good on paper as they say. ;-)

...gm

edit:
    Mort81.... I was just trying to add a little humor. ;-) You know that I have that card and like the features for sure. Like I said you recommended it a while back to me and I'm very satisfied. But I wouldn't know any better from the other cards because anything would have been better than the ATi Radeon 9250 I was using before. hehehe. ;-)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  20. okayl

okayl Guest

does that case make a lot of noise with those fans though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.