1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'll be pleased to know the TX650 is every bit as quiet as the HX. The VX550 isn't quite as good but it's still dead silent up to 250W, and only the really high end gamer systems are going to break that. My PC certainly doesn't, and I'd consider it a high end gamer...

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sam, just ran it again.

SM2.0: 4398
    SM3.0: 4746
    CPU: 5477

Gonna flash my video card BIOS soon, maybe a volt mod too. See how far I can take this thing.

3. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

theonejrs Need a little advise on contacting Gigabyte customer service for my motherboard,I've had no reply to emails or phone calls.
    Cincyrob Microcenter has the Coolermaster 750tx for $109.00 with a $50.00 rebate.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

CrisC586,
    Send to this e-mail address. maggielin@gigabyte-usa.com You will get properly taken care of, I can assure you. Either that or phone and ask specifically for Maggie Lin. Be sure to let her know that you had difficulties with their Customer Service. Unless you had an attitude or were rude, I don't understand why this happened, and she will certainly want to know about it! She runs customer service, and will most assuredly find out what went wrong and why, so it doesn't happen again! I'm nothing special to Gigabyte and I don't know anybody that works there, yet they bent over backwards to help me in a very timely fashion!

I can assure you, she will definitely want to know about it and "will" take steps to correct the problem!

Sincerely,
    Russ

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

theonejrs Thank you I,ll let you know how it goes today.No I haven,t been rude since I haven't received a reply & don't even know if they,ll do anything for this board all I need is an answer.I like the Gigabyte boards,first one I've ever had a problem with and it's the oldest a SLI 939 Board.Chris

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    I went ahead and e-mailed her with a copy of your post to me and my reply to you. Hope you don't mind. Sorry that you had a problem that was ignored!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Quad SLI drivers for it are touted to be coming in a couple of weeks.

and tbh i prefere xfireX, with its flexible-ness.

like you can pair a 3870 with a 3850, or an x2 with a 3850....etc.

i do have to say though, that anyoen that bought the GTX when it was released has probably gotten an amazing investment.

for a card to last this long is simply outstanding.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Chris
    long time no see..lol hope all is well.
    ill look over at microcenter today on my way into work.

well with the addition of the 140mm aerocool fans(2 of them)on the top of my case. my temps have gone way down. moslty noticed when under load.
    im running dvd-rebuilder now its encodeing and the cpu is at 93%+ and my temps are only 54-57c down from 61-64c before the fans. i migt get it even cooler if i was to put both connected to the PSU instead of just one. the other is connected to the mobo and isnt running at full speed.

temps at idle are in the low 40's 40-42c
    jst wonder if i put a fan in the bottom of the case(only spot i dont have one) would that get me a couple more degree's lower?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, your CPU score is almost exactly double mine despite the 450mhz higher clock speed you run. However, at 800 points down a piece, seems its the GPU that's holding you back this time.
    Shaffaaf: You can pair a 3870X2 with a normal 3800 card? That's bizarre, but kinda cool. That said though, for that to be of any benefit it means crossfire actually has to be of a performance boost. In a lot of games, that still seems to be an issue.
    Cincyrob: Depends how the airflow works in your case, it could lower your temps. By the way, your signature's animation is 142KB, I believe the limit on aD is 50KB. :)

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just passing thru so to make my journey useful i'll paste my temps from Loco's thread to compare..

[​IMG]

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just read those over at that thread creaky...

i cant get over how low some of you guys temps are. i know mine arent real high to worry about but man in the 30's wow.. GM's is that range also... gotta be the cooler being used..

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

The Antec 900 is doing me proud i guess; pc is just about fully loaded, 5 HDD's and 3 opticals internally, usual amount of wiring, but the 2 front case fans are still managing to get the air thru; don't forget the 50ft fan on the top of the Antec 900 :)
    ..oh and the Zalman CNPS 9700 LED Cooler is one helluva fan. Plus i fitted a side fan but that was more the LED's than cooling.

Just checking out the spec of your case;

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

<SpeedFan>
    CPU idles at around 27-28C, in Orthos it jumps to 50-52, the cores to about the same. When i shut down orthos the temps drop straight back down to 30 for the main and 31ish for the cores.
    Motherboard however, idle or load rests at around 45-46. Might need to get a bigger cooler... So far no problems with that though.
    Does anybody know of a program that will reliably measure all the temperature sensors on the HD3870? ATITool will pick up the core, but the VRM reading is bugged (at idle it assumes 0ÂșC, only gives me a reading under load) and doesn't show the ambient, and neither speedfan nor everest. Rivatuner will also only give me the core.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heck this case has plenty air vent/hole/ducts how ever you wanna say it..lol
    i think once i get me a new PSU then my new burners(sata)i might think about a new cooler.. this one i have is doing a great job i think. to be honest i dont think i got a good enough layer of AS5 on it???i dont know???

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

my CM stacker 830 evo is filling up!!! got the TR ultra 120 extreme w/ a scythe SFF21F fan and 2 x 1gb corsair DDR2 1066 dominator memory. just ordered a corsair 620HX P/S and getting ready to order a seagate 250gb 32mb SATA hdd. still haven't made a definite decision on a mobo yet. probably an asus maximus formula or wait and see what asus will have to offer in the way of the X48 chipset.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Damn it! The 650TX isn't that cheap anymore. I was gonna offload this 550VX to a friend for 80 and buy that 650TX for 73.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair though, that's still barely more than half the MSRP...

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I might still get it. I think with a overclocked Quad core and hopefully an 8800GT(soon) I will feel safer with a 650 watt PSU. That is a QUALITY 650 Watt PSU, which the corsair is.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

An 8800GT doesn't really use a whole lot more power than an HD3850 at load, it just uses too much at idle. A mega overclocked quad core and 8800GT will see your peak power usage at around the 320W mark if you're using two hard disks, not exactly massive. You'll be fine with a VX550 but it might get a bit noisy. The TX will still be silent at that load level.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Don't be getting your panties in a knot! LOL!! The ambient temperature has everything to do with how warm the CPU gets. At a certain point (above 29C with mine), it heats up considerably with mine! Nothing to worry about, mind you but still in the mid to high 30s. Humidity and speed the air flows through everything matters a great deal. Fast fan speeds work well with a high humidity, while with dry air, the speeds need to be lower or the airflow won't pick up much heat. A bit like putting a pot of water on the stove to take the chill out of the house. It raises the humidity so the heat transfers better!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.