1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

theonejrs You were absolutely correct about Gigabyte evdently my emails were not going through and was responded to real quick on this last one.Time to find another 939 Gigabyte board only for sentimental reasons.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,
    I'm glad that you were taken care of quickly. One thing about Maggie, besides her being a very nice person! She cares deeply about what she does. She's the best! GigaByte Rocks!

What 939 MB are you looking for? If I know that I can keep my eyes open for one for you.

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Just talked to Maggie again and this board is still under the warranty so issuing me a RMA .The boards my original K8N SLI 939 board,was my first build and a learning experience. Sentimental like the first car.I'll see what they come up with, I've got the other builds going so I'm not at a disadvantage, but the bloods been flowing with all the dicussions on the intels and I might have to jump ship from the AMD's . Thanks again and a happy Easter to all.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ChrisC586,

You are more than welcome. Glad to help! Maggie's the best!

"GigaByte Rocks"

Russ

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

what happened to you not being willing to go over 1.4v? what changed your mind?

who ever said it's not who ya know? you know the Doc and he just happened to be a personal friend with Maggie. makes all the difference in the world huh.

maybe I can find somebody who has a personal friend that is with Asus. I'd bet I would get first rate service from Asus too. know what I mean :) not that I will be needing any customer support from Asus hopefully, but it would be nice just in case.

BTW, don't take this wrong. just making a point.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mort: haha, if you find someone, be sure to let me know!
    Theone: Hmm, interesting. It'd still be nice not to have to do it in the first place.

Who around has an X38-DQ6 Gigabyte board, or similar? I'm sure someone has... NuckNFuts or BigDK perhaps? I'm keen to know how to deal with the chipset cooling if you use a Thermalright CPU cooler.

OK Folks, I'm away from now until Monday night for the easter break.
    Have fun guys, no doubt i'll have a dozen pages to read when I get back!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    That's not quite true! I didn't know that he was a friend of hers until after they took care of me so well. In fact I e-mailed Doc and asked him about a month later. Even then when I asked, I was guessing. I knew that he knew someone that worked there, as he told me that when he sent me the link for the Rev. 1.33 965P-DS3. It turns out that she was the one that gave him the heads-up on that MB at a very good price. But to answer your question, no it doesn't hurt to know someone! I never mentioned it because it had no impact whatsoever on how they treated me with the MB swap or the quickie RMA, and I didn't want to mention the Good Doctor in that way! I never even considered asking him if I could mention it!

When I raved about the way they handled everything, I had no Idea at all that his friend was Maggie. In fact I felt kind of silly as like I said, I knew Doc had a friend there, and I even mentioned that I had a friend who had a friend that worked there, about a month later when I sent her a heads-up on my computer. She never said a word, one way or the other. When I did find out about it, I never mentioned it here as it had nothing to do with how I was treated at the time and I just didn't need the hostilities that would surely have followed as there was a bit of Asus/Gigabyte "Fanboyism" conflict going on here at the time. At that point it was no one's business! She and I have become casual friends. She's a terrific Lady that knows how to get things done! I like her approach to getting things done. I like the product very much and I'm more than happy with their Technical Service as well. I sent her a heads-up on ChrisC586's complaint, and a follow-up thanking her. I would do it again tomorrow if someone else had a problem. I know that I have had some influence on some of the GigaByte purchases here, and I've never had a complaint from any of them about the product, but I have had several thank you PMs.

I have no problem with being a GigaByte fanboy. In my eyes they've earned it by the way they treated me before any of this was known!

"GigaByte Rocks"!

Best Regards,
    Russ

P.S.
    1.4v was the practical limit until the E6750 came out. I also talked to a friend of mine that works for Intel and 1.5v is what I was told for that series, after he looked into it for me. I would never try to do that with any of the older chips. For them, the limit in my mind is still 1.4v!
    Perhaps as far as RMAs go, but the only thing that will help their Technical Service is people who know what the hell they are talking about. It's the biggest single complaint I hear on a lot of forums I browse. Most of the tech people they have now couldn't find their A$$ with both hands and a flashlight! Maybe I should apply for a job! LOL!!

Russ

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I concede and concur. I'm back to seriously considering the DFI LP LT X38 mobo. that baby is loaded and has everything I want/need (3 usb headers, 6 fan headers, 8 sata headers, bernstein audio module, onboard speaker, raid, xfire, etc). all the ratings and reviews I have seen are very good. even all 5 stars at newegg. I'm just a little leary spending that kind of money and trying a mobo manufacturer that I am not familiar with and I'm going to have to expand my knowledge on some of the features in it's bios. it has a lot of features/settings I'm not familiar with.

I've almost decided entire against the asus maximus formula I was considering. I have read of extensive compatability problems with memory in the asus forums and newegg has deactivated it from their website. I'm guessing they were fed up with RMA,s but I don't know that for certain.

9. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ sam

Have a good one... friend

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well here we go again.im on the last ride here.
    i have it all at stock settings everthing. now the mem is at its 1066 rated speed..lol

but like at 3.6, 3.51, 3.42, now 3.0ghz after 2 hrs in orthos it fails??????i dont know?????maybe i should put the mem at the 2.0 mutli and try it at 3.0ghz then.. but damn its not even running stock???

is there a log in orthos that tells you what hardware failure there was?

here is a snip from orthos...

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

wheres te txt file at?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

what are some syptoms of the CPU being bad???

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincy you need to narrow down the "possible" issue you're having. Can you borrow Will's DDR2 800 RAM for testing? It'll only take you about 1-2 hours to figure out if it's the RAM's fault, my take at least. You'll know more when the psu is replaced if you decide to do that but testing the RAM is a good idea. I still think that RAM should run at 'stated' speeds. Of course it passed the tests at 800 speed so by default it should be good. :D

Next to test would be the cpu but I don't see Will letting you do that. lol. Lots of work too.....

OK gurus..... IDEAS??

....gm

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Do a search for it in the Windows start menu! Just type in stress.txt!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    But it does run at 1066 at stock speed! Another thing is that It's been my findings that when the memory fails, more often than not it just locks up the computer. Screen's there but the mouse won't move the pointer and none of the keys work, not even ctrl, Alt, Delete. It won't even re-set! That's what mine does when I try to get past about 885MHz! I know that with the E4300, my memory would run at 920MHz with no problems on both the GA-965P-DS3 and the GA-P35-DS3R. I just can't get it to run completely stable till it gets down to below 885MHz. Then again, the fsb is a good deal higher with the lower multiplier of the E6750!

I don't know about the newer chips but the older C2Ds were a bit fussy about the voltage, and I do know that when I installed a better PSU, I had far less problems. My guess is that there's something wrong with the CPU, unless the temperature of the memory is too high. I would set it at 3.0GHz, set the memory multiplier at 2.5 for 800MHz and see what it does! If it runs ok, he might try running memtest on it and if it passes that, I would leave it alone until the new PSU gets here, before something breaks permanently!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

yeah, I agree with Russ. I had a brand new inexpensive 500 watt CM PSU (might have been the same one Rob has) that I put in the build I did a while back using some old obsolete leftover components and the PSU failed within a few days (pc would come back on about 10 seconds after it was shut down). I traced the problem down to the PSU. I do not recommend CM PSU's.

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i set the mem for 800mhz(2.4 multi @3.0ghz) fail within 12sec.

right now im running orthos on just the CPU small fft's
    its been 20 mins now.
    when i put it a 3.0 and at 2.0 mult lastnight it fail'd in 54 mins.
    the previous 3 test took right at 2 hrs to fail.

with the 2 sticks of mem if it the mem thats doing this. can i run just 1 stick. i know its a 2 stick kit but will it run on 1 and can i test it the same way with orthos?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    God, I hope not. I did a little digging and as near as I can figure, this company used to make PSUs for Cooler Master at one time and Cooler Master dumped them because of poor quality. They trade under the name of Cool Max now and display a prominent CM on the PS. I guess to try and fool people like me! LOL!! I didn't realize that they were no longer from Cooler Master and bought 3 of them. All 3 failed in a very short period of time. One went up in smoke, one just stopped and after the fan died and the other shot sparks everywhere. I will say this, Newegg was very good about it as we worked out a deal for my present Thermaltake W0093-TR2, which works very well, and is a quality PSU. I didn't even have to send the old ones back. Newegg told me to dump them in the trash! LOL!! The lesson I learned is not to take anything for granted and be sure to read the specs as they can and do change. In this case it was for the worse!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

AFTER 2 1/2 HOURS of just the CPU @ 3.0ghz no failures. but im sure as soon as i try the mem with the PCU i'll get a failure.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

@Russ,
    I tend to agree with you on the "lower" end Cooler Masters. I truly hope the upper end Cooler Masters (specifically the 850W model) are better constructed and more stable than what I'm seeing with the model that cincy has. ;)

@cincy,
    Robert I would consider NOT doing anything (OC'in or such) with that puter until you get another psu. I think it's the consensus here and I'm sure the Hounds would feel the same way. All of the manufacturers build a shady component now and then. The extreme power series by Cooler Master seem to be theirs. lol. sorry. ;)

d/l link to memtest
    if the link doesn't work scroll down almost 1/2 way and click on the zipped ISO. d/l of course then un-zip and burn to cd-r with Nero. Follow directions on the website. :D That should test your RAM plenty good and if it goes thru 2 passes with NO problems you should be fine. :)

@Morty,
    The stirrer of the pot.... hehehe. PM'd with the doc last night.... He said you started it... :p On the Cooler Master psu's I hope like I said above the upper end models are good ones. I know that docTY has a few setting on the shelf (NIB) and of course I have the 850W model too. ;) oh btw I got the DS4 mobo mixed up with the X48, yeh I know.. HOW??.. lol. Corrected myself with him and you now... :p

...gm

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i got memtest running right now how long does it run? i didnt setup anything with it. once it booted into it, it started running its test. its on test #6 right now17%done PASS=42% so far???

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.