1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ if what you're saying is right(the screen locks up, mouse wont move, but the system doesn't restart), then my memory can't even run at 425mhz! That's crazy! Now do you see how horrible these sticks have become?

When I was at the 9x multiplier and my memory was running at 800mhz(3.6ghz), my PC would restart if the CPU stress failed. Now at 8x multi(so the memory is at 425 and CPU at 3.4), the screen locks up but the PC doesn't restart. So I'm guessing it's the memory.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats intresting boozer.. you have the crucial mem also dont you?

well memtest just finished the first pass.

pass complete,no errors, press Esc to exit.
    how many times should i allow it to test?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah Crucial 800mhz memory. Don't worry though, your memory doesn't use the same chips as mine. Crucial recently switched to new chips and it's screwed up the overclocking pretty damn bad.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

memtest kust finished its third test. no errors. so does that mean the mem is now excluded as my problem?

putting the EYE back on the PSU?

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

memtest isn't the final answer but it's a good test and if you can go 3 passes with NO errors you should have stable memory!! NOW the EYE is on the cpu and psu..... lol.

That psu should run something simple but NOT the high end rig you have. I've said that before and imho you need something bigger and better. Use the CM-500 in another machine of lesser needs or give it away. lol.

....gm

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well it had 3 passes and into the forth one with about 23%done aNd no errors?????

if i test just the CPU in orthos its ok.just when i add the mem to it, it fails.

what/how do i rule out the CPU?

if it was the CPU wouldnt i have problems with programs and app's?

i havent had any problems with any programs/apps opening up??

7. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

hey guys i was in here earlier about a pc uild and you guys came up with a pretty good system:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...15037&Tpk=E8400

GIGABYTE GA-X38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128080

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

MSI RX3870-T2D512E OC Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127315

RAIDMAX Sagitta 2 ATX-928WB Black S
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156090

I finally have enough money to purchase this system, only one problem, the processor is out of stock and the motherboard is deactivated on newegg.

i was considering this processor but i dont know what mobo to get cause the one i am looking at wont let me use the crucial ballistix, what do you think and can you help me?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

In these tests Rob the cpu and memory are under more stress than they will endure with any single program that you run. You would have to open up 3 video encoding/transcoding progies to equal what Orthos or Prime95 is doing to your system.

It seems that you have eliminated the memory but you won't know for sure until you replace certain items... psu to start. I know it's expensive but you know the story on what you pay for. ;)

If there was a way to test the cpu that would be nice. The only problem with that is the same with the memory, you won't know anything unless you start replacing things. Sometimes it takes more than you want to deal with. lol.

I would start with a quality psu and go from there. I think just about all of us think that is your problem!! I'll look for some at the EGG, ZZF, and MicroCenter.... :D

...gm

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i am really begining to think that also. to be honest all this time i was thinkng it was the mem..that memtest just eased my mind on it alot..lol

buy.com has the corsair TX650w for $96.99shipped i cant find it anywhere cheaper. but it will have to be a few weeks before i can get it. so the big red machine has been reduced to a little redsox box...ROTFLMFAOPIMP!!!!!!!!

sorry BlivetNC

11. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

well the crucials are 49 after MIR so idk which memory is better because it is only a $10 mine as well go with the better of the two.

I dont really have a use for a quad at the moment, and i wasnt set on the wolfdale, it was just recommended over the conroe here.

I am set on at least a 3ghz whether it be dual core or quad core

12. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bladerz05,
    Right now, the X38 chipset is still a little immature! bios revisions will eventually cure any niggling problems though. The P35 chipset, which suffered the usual "teething" problems is pretty solid today, and it didn't take that awful long to make it right. If you need two PCIe x16 slots, you've made a good choice, or so I understand from here and other forums. I'm really not up on the technical aspects of the X38, but there's folks here that are. I'm sure they will reply too!

As far as the memory goes, the Crucial Ballistix have changed their memory chips, and so have the corsair Dominators. At this moment I'm needing some good 1066 memory myself, but I'm going to wait and see what shakes out. There must either be a shortage of the good Micron chips, or the manufacturers are just getting cheap. This seems to be the favored 1066 memory at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227181
    A little expensive but not bad with the $35 MIR, which makes them $69.99. I'm considering them myself! I have confirmed that they do use the good micron chips! Looks like it's OCZ for Me! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

IMMATURE???

not any more m8. they have been around for months on end now (6 months IICR) and are amazing, with quite alot (manly top end DFI and ROG sereis) going to about 550FBS.

yes they are expsensive, but if you want xfire al full 32 lanes and superb ocing then x38 is for you.

unless you want to go to the new mobo kings witht the 790i chipset :)

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I wouldn't say the 790 is the best chipset out there.

Russ, if you want to get the 1066 Ballistix don't worry they are still the same chips. Just the 800mhz memory is affected for now.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

have you seen recent results, with very early bios'?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

shaffaaf,
    Yes, Immature! It's not as advanced as the P35 chipset is yet, but it won't be too long before all the little glitches and such are taken care of with the latest bios updates. These aren't serious problems, but according to what I read in a lot of overclocking forums, the X38 chipset still has some issues to be resolved. Most of my sources are very knowledgeable in this area, and their overclocking skills are far superior to mine, and I would take their word on it before other sources. Still, it's a lot better than it was before the latest bios was introduced! I wasn't suggesting that he not buy the X38 yet as I advocated a few months ago, but there are still some problems to be resolved. This came about because of Intel, not the bios manufacturers. It's just taking them a little more time to catch up. There's no major problems, just some memory issues and some problems with the Sata, last time I looked. Nothing major and nothing that should keep someone from buying one!

Respectfully,
    Russ

18. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

ok, i had orginally set out for the x38's so i would preferrably want to stick with that, the only problem is that on the newegg site the only mobo that had the 2 pci express 2.0 16X slots was an asus and it was like $300! i would preferably want to get away with 200 but $280 is about my limit. I did find i Gigabyte but it required 1200 speed memory and crucial doesnt make that speed. i also would prefer about 6+ sata ports but i could prolly settle with 4. any suggestions that would be compatible? also is DFI a good brand, i never heard of them.

19. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I wonder what's up with newegg deactivating some mobos. they deactivated the asus maximus formula X38 that I was considering too.

Bladerz,

a lot of pc enthusiasts seem to like DFI. I have never tried one personally (asus fanboy) but I am seriously considering this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.