1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bladerz05,
    If $280 is the most you want to go, Newegg has the GigaByte GA-EX38-DQ6 on sale for $259! It has 8 Sata and 8 rear usb, plus headers on the MB for 4 more.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128326
    Or the GA-EX38-DS4 for $209.66! It has 6 Sata and 8 rear usb, plus headers on the mb for 4 more.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089

Both support Crossfire! I checked with GigaByte!

Don't sweat the memory speed. it's just the top memory speed rating for the MB. 1066 memory will do nicely! It's just the "Official" rating, just like the 1333 fsb. That's all they guarantee it will run. The manufacturer only supports 1333MHz. Mine's at 1750MHz! LOL!! My GA-965P-DS3 only supported 800MHz for the fsb. It still ran fine at 1525 with an E4300! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Bladerz,
    I wouldn't worry about the RAM unless it's DDR3. Most mobos rated for certain RAM will be ok with lower speed RAM with no issues.... ie; a mobo rated for 1066 will be just fine with 800 or even lower if it's DDR2 rated RAM. I hope that makes some sense. ;)

Morty quick teasing us and just buy the danged thing!! :p

Chris that is the little brother to the 850W Cooler Master that I have and I've read a couple of reviews on that particular model and the 750W passed with flying colors. ;) You might want to do a search for reviews to satisfy yourself... you too Robby!!! :p

@Rob of Cincinnati,
    I would consider that psu (Cooler Master 750W that Chris linked to..) and not have any worries buying it either. The only thing that I would consider is modular over the normal psu. I know that some would argue that fact but I've succumb to the convenience of modular cabling. :D The Quattro 1000W Antec is great and I don't have any worries with power issues..... hehehe. :p I'll chat with you later tonight.... :D

....gm

3. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Reason I asked, I haven't found a bad review on it and $59.00 after rebate. Not being mod isokay cause the case it's going into is like a pole barn.

4. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Earth to Rob,
    reality check, a Redsox box would be a World Champion setup.
    'nuff said.
    on a serious note, I feel it is your PSU which is causing the problems, sounds like power fluctuations or power dropping, wish you had an oscilliscope to track the voltages as they fly out of your PSU. Wish you luck figuring it out..

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK who knows what a pole barn is w/o looking it up? lol. :p

Yeh Chris I've read most of the reviews on it too, at least 4-5. ;) I was gonna pick it up at the last sale (literally) that our CompUSA had and when I went in to get it they were out. lol. They sold 10-12 in less than 3 hours.... DOH!!!! Anyway I picked up the Antec 1000W for less than the 750W was gonna be, open box btw..... YEAH!!! on the purchase. lol.

Sorry it's late and I may have indulged a little to much. hehehe. :p I think it would be fine for your needs. Almost any needs really.... :D

Cincy see!! Even a Sox fan has thumbed the psu. ;) Texas Rangers btw!!!! :p

...gm

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I do, but then I did work at 84 Lumber before the railroad... :p

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well usually (before) id just add thermal glue (sloppily i might add) because i was told it was needed....but you guys convinced me a while back about how important it was i've been applying it more carefully with more thought and buying the correct compound......i got a fan for my CPU (crappy sprite...thats why i prefer water colling!), this was the first one i got that comes with the grease pre-applied....should i scrape it off and put some quality artic sliver down or should i use the pre applied grease as its perfectly level? wont be installing the fan for a few days,,,, happily waiting for a component!

-tripplite

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

tripp I prefer to apply the thermal paste myself. I don't know what they've used and to me it's better to apply the compound to the cpu outer surface directly. Which cooler did you get again??

good luck with the build....

....gm

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Tripp,
    The only cooler that I ever leave the original stuff on is the Arctics! They have a thermal pad that seems to work just about as good as Arctic Silver 5. nowadays, I take all of the stuff off as I lap the Cooler with a Ragwheel and Jewlers Rouge, with a Dental Lathe. I don't do the CPU as it voids the warranty, and you can't do it with the wheel as you could get a static spark. R,I,P. CPU! Seems that Intel has numbers on the chip they need before they will replace one. Thank God I have a 7 power OptiVisor for my turbine bearing work, as the print is almost impossible to see with the naked eye, and the ones they need on the board part itself are even smaller! The numbers on the box aren't good enough. Doing the cooler with the Ragwheel/lathe takes just a few minutes, and it shines like a mirror! LOL!! Beats the hell out of sanding and polishing by hand!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  12. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

newegg is sucks, i have a promo code for just about every item in my build and there gonna make me do a separate transaction for each item in order to get my discount!!!!!!!

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

'Tis life.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bladerz05,
    It's the manufacturer's fault not Newegg! They make them do it that way! They insist on it being that way. Probably has something to do with Internal Revenue because places like Newegg and their suppliers have to document every cash back deal they do. IRS also doesn't want to do the math. Every one of those reciepts you send in for an MIR is that way too! Infernal Revenue won't accept a receipt and allow the write off any other way! Newegg and the product manufacturers wind up being the bad guy, and it's not their fault, it's the FFG!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  15. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

LOL sorry newegg....thanks for discount and free 3 day shipping :)

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bladerz05,
    Yup! the Infernal Revenue makes it a Lose, Lose situation for everyone but themselves! LOL!! You do all the work and they get all the money! They don't even need a gun to steal you blind! ROFLMAO!!

Did you ever check out those two motherboards I posted. Next build I want something like that too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bladerz05,
    Nice choice! I want one! LOL!! Just so I can say "Mine"!LOL!! If the on-board sound is as good as my DS3R, You'll love it! Plenty of bells and whistles too!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

yeah mobo is something i didnt really want to skimp on
    total build amount out the door 1198.95
    geesh i wont be buying anything for some time now

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.