1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah! More Quad core buddies!

I got mine to be stable at 3.4. I'm not taking it any higher for now.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

so should I get a Quad core since the E8400s are no where to be found!

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ZOSO
    the Q6600 are dirt cheap right now $199 at microcenter. dont know if ya have one there in indy but they are cheap and comeing down with the newer quads comeing out.
    http://microcenter.com/specials/catalogs/broadsheet.html

i cant get in touch with intel for a RMA until monday when they are open. guess im gonna shut her down tomorrow and get the CPU out and cleaned up for shipment.
    i did get a email from them telling me to check my CPU fan and make sure its connected properly so i might/will try that tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Get a Q6600, you wont regret it! I know I don't.

Sure my E6750 had a little higher clock speed, but I think this i smuch quicker. Get some apps that support Quad Cores(movie encoding) and it's all fun.

Plus I hear many games are going to be using all four cores now.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Boozer,
    Put your thinking cap on man! The Logical one! LOL!! If you wait and take the 8400-8500 now, and wait on the new Quads coming out. Besides, the entry level of the new quads has to do better than the Q6600, otherwise Intel would still have to keep making them, and they want you to buy the next generation CPU. You should be able to get in the door, so to speak at a price not to far away from the going price at the time, for the Q6600. If it overclocked better ( and don't tell me about 3.4GHz), many are happy with around 3.15GHZ. When you've been able to leave it at 3.4GHz for a month or so doing all your work and games on it, we'll see what speed you have to run it at to fold with it! Folding is the the King when it comes to tests. If it will fold, it should do just about anything without crashing. Just be sure you pick the shorter WUs. If it won't complete the WU, it ain't stable!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Sorry for the "new quads" bit, but I can't remember what they are called! ROFL

A little off topic but related

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The entry level quad is a Q9300. It has a slower clock speed and less cache than a Q6600 and it also has a 7.5x multi and not a 9x like mine. It's also gonna cost around the 250 range.

Russ, I still don't regret getting a quad core. I realize the performance gain RIGHT NOW is minimal, but I had other reasons to get it .

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well while im going to RMA my cpu back to intel tomorrow. hopefully i can. with my luck with this i doubt they take it..

should i also RMA my mobo too? guess i cant send it back to newegg either been 30 days

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  8. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I'd RMA them both, personally. That's just me, though. I'd be SO agitated right now. Start fresh when you get the replacements. Good luck!

EDIT: I overlooked the part that it's been over 30 days. Anyway, you are in GREAT hands here. These guys know their stuff!

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

im sure OCing the CPU voids the Waranty

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i think i will RMA both just to make sure... i just tore it all down, only thing in the case now is the fans, HDD, and 2 ODD.poor thing...lol

AGITATED is a understatement.
    so i should try newegg and get them to RMA it instead of going to gigabyte?

just put my litey's back in this system(HP) so i can still burn...
    Hmmmm makes me second guess myself on not buying pre built system.

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'm happy with the Q6600, very fast.

12. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Same here.... My rebuilder times are just over 30 minutes for encoding on longer movies versus mid 50's for my overclocked E6400!

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Same here..my rebuilder times aren't much behind those..

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I emailed DFI tech support last night about midnight in regards to some questions I had with the LP LT X38 mobo. just checked my email this morning and there was already a reply, easter sunday nonetheless. wow, that is good tech support. I've never delt with DFI before but that gives me all the more reason to give em a try. I'm impressed.

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You all are talking my language now! When I pre-ordered the Q9450, the confirmation page told me to "wait 2-3 weeks for shipment". Tomorrow is exactly 3 weeks so I think I will send an email to customer service later on in the week.
    I finished the "man-cave" that I mentioned a few months ago, already serviced 2 friends machines and got paid for it! One had a power supply die, it didnt blow anything else up with it thankfully. The other was 5 years old and never had the dust blown out. Its CPU heatsink and fan were so worn from the dirt that it sounded like a helicopter taking off when It was on, which wasnt for long because it kept overheating and crashing!
    Now that construction is done I can focus on this workstation/ home server I've been piecing together since the Thanksgiving sales!
    I still havent decided on a mobo, although I know it'll have 8 SATA ports and RAID capabilities. Most likely experiment with my first Gigabyte board since thats a current favorite around here. Any hints would be appreciated.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I'm not in any way knocking your choice in processor, it's just that with the new CPUs virtually around the corner, I would either wait or do an 8400 or 8500. Biggest reason is that the price structure will change for the models available right now as the newer chips become available, and the Q6600 and some of the newer ones that are out already will be even cheaper.. Patient Economics! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    If it was me with that CPU, I would be looking at the GA-EX38-DS4,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089

Or the GA-EX38-DQ6, which is on sale at Newegg for $259!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128326

If your budget won't allow for that much, the DS3R on up would be good also. Just a few less bells and whistles. I eventually will put one of the higher end Quads in my DS3R.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Guys does the Quad Cores Q6600 utilize all four cores encoding using DVD Rebuilder etc ?

Russ how far off are the new CPU that are coming out? I'm probably looking at least two month yet before i do anything.

Hope everything works out Robert

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    As far as I know, DVDRB is not multi threaded! CCE is, with a dual core, but I'm not sure about the Quads.
    There's stuff due out first half, so maximum wait time should only be a little over 3 months. Your at least 2 months away now, so to me it would be worth the wait just to see what the best deal you can get will be based on what's new. Hell, they ain't gonna go up in price with new stuff coming out! The prices of what's out now should come down too!

Shaffaaf,
    They know you did if they bother to test. I've never even had a question asked about that, and everything I sent in the last 4+ years, they've replaced! That's 3, all overclocked! You would have to be a total DA to tell them! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I'm looking at early July to do a new build

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.