1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just send it to me for the 4 weeks and I'll break it in for ya. hehehe. :p

Good to hear that G-Byte is willing to check things out. :D May shipping be fast, money come easy, and everything go back together for the computer of your short computing life. heheehe. :p

.....gm

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM & Rob,
    No he meant what color Jewelers Rouge to use! ROFL!!

Rob,
    I start with the White and finish it off with the red! Only takes a couple of minutes. I had one cooler for a customer where he supplied the cooler. I had to start with the Green and work my way down. You could feel the machining grooves in the surface. It was a Rosewell POS!

Call Intel back tomorrow and put your foot down. Their thermal paste is not going to be better than AS5. Just demand a replacement. If you get the same guy just ask for his supervisor. Tell them your friend has the same MB and memory, and when you put it in his, it does the same thing! They will ask you the make and model of the MB you tried it in and what memory, and that will be it! That will put and end to all the BS! Those guys are mostly from other countries. You just got one that knows what his "Manual" tells him to say. Just call them back and insist on a replacement based on your testing with the same MB and memory! If they give you any lip about the thermal paste, just point out that Arctic Silver 5 is the industry standard. It's the best there is! Otherwise they'll treat you like you're an Organ Grinders Monkey! LOL!! Got to be fast on your feet! ;) You just got to be firm with them, and not take no for an answer!

Yes you can run the Optical drive on the same cable. If you have the 80 wire cable just set the jumpers on both to CS. If you have a 40 wire cable set the jumpers to MA for the end one and SL for the other! Bear in mind that the very end cable plug will be the master and the other one will be the slave automatically!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

Russ thinks it's BS too Robert.... Call those SOB's back and tell what for.... BUT do it nicely... hehehe.

Thanks Russ, you is the "sparkly polishin" man!! :D What's funny is I had a Rosewill cpu cooler and I think it's a pretty good design, similar to the ACF7 but you're right it had the 'grooves' in the block. I "sanded" those out and used it for a while with NO issues then got the TR 120 Ultra, which is a dandy as we all know..... :D

....gm

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

im gonna call them back tomorrow no matter what. im gonna put it in bigwill's system today at work and see if it does the same thing as in mine. if it does i know for sure its the CPU.im also gonna try my mem in there also but like Russ said before i dont think it is the mem now. its the CPU or MOBO...so later i will keep ya all informed how it goes once i have the CPU in will's rig.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Good Man, that Will! Good Friend! Not many people would pull apart their working rig and do that! My hat's off to you Will!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

I'm having an annoying problem with my rig.

Everytime i switch it on, the fans and everything will power up and then itll go off, and then power up again and work perfectly.

BIOS issue?

Apart from that though, it's all fine and dandy.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Nah, just 5 or so.... :)

Hope all is going well Sammy!!

.....gm

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My Quad always does that each time it's powered-on, then it's 100% stable from then on. Wierd. Has been like it since i first built it. As it's predictable and consistent i personally live with it

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Mine doesn't do that.

The only thing it does is the Freezer 7's fan comes on then off and then on again. That's the only fan connected to the Motherboard though, everything else is directly connected to the PSU. So maybe that is why on the CPU fan does it?

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@creaky & greg
    do you have a P35 mobo???i was told buy a tech at microcenter the P35 mobo tend to do that....but then thats my problem it will shut down start up and not be stable. then it wont even start up.power and lights come on then go right back out and start over...

but we have some good news (so far)
    my CPU is in BigWill's rig right now. it fired right up no problem.(but it did start up and shut down the very first time) but it has been started up and shut down 3 times now and all is good. we got orthos running on it right now...check this out. he has the same Cooler as i do(thanks gm) and right now on his mobo(ga-p35c-ds3r) my load temps are 10 degrees cooler than on my mobo. right now at load it is running 49-51c. if on my board it would be about 60-62c.
    so is this a sign of the (my) mobo being bad????

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yup, mine's a sexy MSI P35 Platinum. It's not got the latest BIOS as the first board i had was turned into an expensive doorstop when i tried to update the BIOS; luckily i was able to RMA it but there was no way i was going to mess with the replacement's BIOS; as i say as long as the initial powerdown/restart is 100% consistent i'm happy to live with it; easier than googling for an answer as well.

12. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Cool creaky. Good to know im not the only one.

I have an ASUS P5K-E WIFI mobo.

Have you oced your quad? I keep mines at 3Ghz. Don't see a need to push for more(only when benchmarking)

As for stability, i had my system on for 2 days with idle temps of about 29c on each core. It will also Fold on all 4 cores without miss of a beat.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GregI6, greensman, cincyrob & creaky,
    I think it's the active bios. Mine does it, but blurry fast, it just goes click, click real fast and boots up. I shut my PS off every night because of the mouse and a few other things connected to the usb have lights that annoy me. I'll bet Boozer doesn't usually turn off his PS! It all seems to have to do with the capabilities of the power supply. My guess is that the system does a quick scan of the bios settings, analyzes them and continues on. Mine used to do a complete on, off, on every time I turned off the PS and then started the computer. After I got it running the way it is now, it does it, but blurry fast, less than a second! The power light turns on, off, on in less than a second now! Before, it was 3 or 4 seconds total. This was also a known teething problem with a lot of the earlier P35 chipset motherboards. My original DS3R was a Rev. 1.0 and if it got cold enough, it would turn on and off for 15 minutes if I let it, yet if I take my hairdryer and blow some hot air into the case first, it would fire right up with no problem.

I know that PWM controlled fans don't start immediately, and under PWM control it can sit for as long as 10 minutes or more without ever moving the fan blade when it's cold. It's not the Arctic's fault as the MB tries to run it at 400-600 rpm, and the cooling fans low rpm is 800! If you give it a flick with your finger, it will almost always continue to run, but if you just leave it alone it will start all by itself once the temperature comes up in the CPU a bit! The voltage is there, but the pulses that control the speed aren't enough to kick over the fan, yet Everest, speedfan and some other utilities show it running as low as 400 rpm, when it's standing perfectly still. I think that the speed you see is what the MB is calling for as a minimum. I would guess it would have to be that way, or it would trip the fan alarm every time you start up. When it's running, I can trip the alarm by stopping the fan and the rpms drop to "0"! I guess it's all tied to the temperature of the CPU at the time. I have such good airflow through my case that I can completely remove the CPU fan, and while it gets to mid 40s at idle, it won't overheat! Some motherboards, like the P5N-E have no PWM fan control setting at all. Gina's fan failed and she had to get a new one from Arctic, but hers is only controlled by the thermal control built into the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro itself, because you can't control a PWM fan by voltage control properly. Just what I think is happening, that's all!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Best Regards

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well after a hour and 12 mins still stable on orthos. highest the temp has gotten is 54c

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    First thing is, what speed is the CPU running at? The next thing is what's it going to do after evrything is cooled down and you fire it up again. Remember, you've been in that same situation before, where it failed after cooling down from a long Orthos run that showed no errors. Your temps are about the same as mine after a long Orthos run. At least if you know that it's not the memory or the CPU, I'm pretty sure you will be able to RMA the MB faster because of all the testing you're doing.

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    the CPU is at stock speed. 3.0ghz
    you think i should let it idle for a bit then OC it some and see what it does?????

i mean right now once i put it in WIll's system it fired right up it wouldnt do that in mine the past 2 days. even after i had it all apart then put back together it wold just continue to stop and start....

and i agree it will be easier to RMA the mobo.... intel just seems so shittttty so to say politely...lol

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

getting ready to stop orthos after 2+hrs nad let idle for a bit the OC it to 3.42ghz then run orthos.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Yes it would, and yes they are! LOL!! You also need to be a bit more firm, but not nasty to get anywhere with most companies Customer and Technical Service. 10 years of being a Service Manager in a large major city taught me how to deal with people like that. You'll find that sometimes you have to bend the truth a little to fit the situation.

I would have told them immediately when they mentioned their own Thermal past that, "hey, wait a minute! Arctic Silver is the Industry standard by which all others are judged"! They also gave me a bit of crap about not using their "Intel Cooler" and that it might void the warranty. I just told the guy that he didn't know what he was talking about as the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is many times better than the stock Intel cooler, and is one of the most respected coolers on the market and cools much better than the stock one. I even offered him about a dozen of the Intels for free because I never even take them out of the box! LOL!! Once he realized that I knew that there was nothing in the warranty that says that you have to use their cooler, and knew quite a bit more than he did about what it takes to cool the CPU, he never mentioned it again. Hell that's like buying a new car and the manufacturer tells you that you warranty is void if you don't use Shell Gas in it! LOL!! It's like the old saw at the Auto dealer where for a while they would void your warranty if an Authorized Dealer didn't perform all the service! That got shot down by the Courts, real fast. I knew Intel couldn't force you to use theirs or it would be in the warranty, and someone would have challenged it in Court a long time ago. If you buy an OEM, they don't give you a cooler with it, and nowhere does it say in it's warranty that you have to buy theirs!

Just be a little stronger with them next time! Don't be afraid to say no or disagree with them! Grow a little hair on them things! ROFLMAO!! ;) If they try to give you a hard time, then ask to speak to their supervisor! That usually changes everything real quick! It puts you in a stronger bargaining position in the long run, and makes it easier to get what you want and usually deserve!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/643408

my little bro at home has taken control over my comp there:(
    i dont care to much for it as its an old dell....anyway i need More GB's for it so am willing to pay pay-pal.... check the thread i opened above:)
    looking for a 40GB-60GB would be nice:) even used!

=====================================================
    i like intel chips.....but their customer service is terrible....i didn't even try to get a refund for a DOA P3...wasn't worth the phone call....

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well all hope is shot..lol bumped it up to 3.42ghz. 10 mins in it fail'd so im back at square 1 again. does this mean its the CPU and not the mobo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.