1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's probably the CPU and maybe the mobo. You said it doesn't run stable at all on your motherboard even at stock? So your CPU is basically no good for overclocking, and your motherboard wont even keep it stable at stock speed. Looks like both are faulty to me.

Russ, that's right I don't turn off my PSU. I don't think it takes up any power though because I don't have anything other than a keyboard and mouse plugged into it.

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

You guys turn you puters off at night.. Why??? :p

rob is the cpu on his mobo not stable?? You've had so many posts that I'm unwilling to read them all again because I'm tired!! 11 hour day for me.... Since being sick (for 6 weeks) this is the first real day I've been back and I'm worn slap out!!! :p ..me covers are calling me..... :D

So what you're saying is YOUR cpu in his puter is actin up?? If so that's some sort of answer for sure. ;) I'm not sure I wouldn't just RMA both the mobo and cpu to make sure all is okie-dokie!! lol. I know your B.R.M. is gonna be down for a couple of weeks but it's good to get it right!! You can always put the returned E8400 on eBay for $250 BIN price and then buy you a Q6600 for cheap.... didn't I already say that?? hehehe. ;P

again GOOD LUCK buddy...

....gm

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, just doin' my part to keep the environment going. I'm like half tree hugger, but I will NEVER stop eating meat. So yeah, take that vegetarians!

4. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Oh hai thur.

It's 4am here in UK. This deserves a possible lol caption.

"I b staying up late. Scowling the AD formz"

----------------------------------------------------

Anyway, i was dead set on getting a Raptor hard drive but supposedly the new 7200 Samsung F1 drives(320gb/32mb cache) can allmost rival boot up time aswell as being dead silent. Half the price aswell.

I would have thought Western Digital would release better technology by this time(not counting the raptor x's).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    A lot of times I might agree with you, but not this time as far as the MB goes. The key here is that Will's CPU runs fine in the same MB. That's why I suggested to shutdown for a while. It's not impossible, but not too likey that the MB is bad. I think we are seeing a CPU with internal connectivity problems. The cores are connected by hand operation! Not by machine. Get it stable heat it up good and no problems. When it cools down, things contract, hence it won't fire up. the on and off part of it working at trying to get it to post, to me means that once it gets warm enough the connection finally makes again and it runs stable again. That would explain all the times it ran stable only to not boot up in the morning or crash when first fired up. In other words, in old fashioned terms, there appears to be a high resistance connection inside the CPU! I can't think of anything else that would cause the strange up and down works fine, doesn't work fine scenario Rob's been having. Remember also that he had some temperature issues early on with the CPU as well! That could very easily have been caused but a condition like this, especially with a bad connection inside the chip. It would also explain the crashing when just opening a program. An instruction on the chip gets called on and there's an overload that the bad connection can't handle. Crash!! Motherboard problems tend to be a little more predictable than the problems Rob has, as they usually repeat problems over and over until the cause is eliminated. In this case it's all over the map in a maddening way, and I don't think anything short of replacing the CPU will cure it! I'm betting on the CPU!

greensman,
    Because it's in my room, and I don't like wasting electricity, and electricity is expensive in So Cal. And Boozer, it does draw electricity when the main switch is on whether anything is connected or not! Not much, but it still draws some. Try turning off the switch on the PSU and see if it gives even a little on, off, on! Bet it does! LOL!!

Respectfully,
    Russ

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@GM
    your right my E8400 in will's mobo wasnt stable at 3.42ghz fail'd 10 mins in....

and yes tomorrow (well today in about 10 hrs ill be contacting intel telling them i need a new CPU it just wont work anywhere... and my mobo will be boxed up and sent out also. allready got the RMA # from them im ready to go with gigabyte...

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh Will's CPU runs fine in Rob's motherboard? I didn't know that, that's why I said that it might be both. But yeah if his motherboard then run Will's CPU fine, then I agree with you.

Man it's getting late. I'm gonna turn in too. Later guys.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Reverse that, as Willy Wonka says! LOL!! Will's runs fine in his motherboard, Rob's doesn't! Read my last post! I think I've figured it out! Believe me, I've come across weirder things with electronics in the last 40 years or so! While it could be something internal inside the chip, the process used in building the C2Ds leads me to believe that I've located the cause the problem. I admit that it's a guess, but one founded on the facts and a $hit-pot of experience with modern electronics and their quirks. Logic also plays a big part in my opinion as well! The problems are just too random to indicate anything but the CPU being the problem!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I should call Intel up and be like "I want an RMA for my CPU because this $hit wont overclock to 3.6 Ghz stable!". That would be funny.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    If it was me I would wait until you get the new processor. If there's nothing wrong with the MB, you're back in business, and I doubt that the MB has problems. If it does, the RMA will be quick as you've eliminated everything else!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@theonejrs & Greensman

I'm here to vouch on robo's issue with the cpu..it ran perfect at stock level with orthos runnin but when we first fired it up it shut down a restarted back up so we went ahead ran orthos for what about a hour or so while we was loading trks at work came back and it was stable..then like he said he bumped up to 3.4Ghz and it Failed after 9 mins in..and have another also with the change in Cpu putting his on my board when did boost up the very first time it had a message stating change in hardware and it want me to activated Windows ( why did that happen?)we did'nt worry at first we just wanted to test the cpu..but after words when..i put my e6750 back I reactivated my windows xp home edition.by calling the 1-888 number you know and speaking to the automatic machine where you say all the numbers and it gives you numbers back to enter in to activate windows i'm glad thats all i had to do there..i believe something went wrong with robo's e8400.it runs fine at stock but to oc it..cant do..but i just wonder why did the operational system do that with cpu swope out? all yea here's a snagit shot of robo's cpu on my board it failed a few mins after..

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2358/robs342ghzbq0.jpg

ps.sorry i've been gone so long been busy..still check in time 2 time to see how ya'll guys are doin!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Will,
    If it's XP, the authentication process is tied to the CPU ID number, so if it sees a change and then it will make you re-authenticate XP. I no longer keep any "fixes" (if you catch my drift) on my computer because if I do they just disappear! Vanish like a fart in the wind! LOL!! Only one with access is M$. I have a hardware firewall/router and the firewall in windows, so no one else can really get in. If you're running Vista, get used to it! LOL!! Every mother froggin time you put something new in your computer you will go through that crap. They should put Vista and Blew Ray in a time capsule as examples of what not to do, and how not to do it!

I'll have Vista on that laptop pretty soon, and then it's for sale. I don't want any part of Vista, but I'll see how it works after I get the recovery disk. What irks me is that you can't set up Dual Boot on a Vista only machine, and that sucks. M$ is basically telling you that sooner or later you will have to pay them the big bucks (again) if you want windows! Leaves a very bad taste in my mouth!

Best Regards,
    Russ

I haven't heard from Rob, so I hope he read my post to Abuzar. It's a pretty good explanation of what I think is wrong! After the results with your computer, I think I'm right! Heat can work both ways with a situation like that. The load is less at lower speeds so it's easier to handle loads like Orthos. I just wished I had remembered about the cores being installed manually and connected up by hand sooner. I had completely forgotten about that and it makes sense seeing the problems Rob's had

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i gave up around 2am, am up now just to find some new car insurance. ps no, i won't be overclocking mine; when i was buying it i intended to, then i thought 'nah'. i'm happy enough with it as is, and even though this pc is going to have to last me a few years it's fast enough for my needs; to wring some more power out of it i could always overclock a long way down the line but i most likely won't bother

cheers; from power-on mine fires up/restarts really quickly; i do turn mine off most of the time but it's on/working long enough to have been proved to be 100% stable so i'm happy.

- mostly as it's too costly to run equipment; then there's all the hundreds of lights, and not just from the pc's, ie dvd players, tv's etc etc; great for illumination but crap if you're an insomniac like me; i've fitted cheapy off switches to anything that only goes on standby; i have loads of machines/gadgets so it's very wasteful to have stuff on standby forever, especially in rip-off Britain; though if i am off work, and have to pop out or something, i don't mind leaving one or more machines on, it is nice to walk in, sit down and only have to flick the monitor on and start working, but as modern computers turn on so quickly all's good; the Quad does take a little while to fire up all those hard drives etc but it's still quite quick to boot, my Dell Core 2 Duo's are as standard so power-on to log-on screen is instant, amazing how fast compared to all the old crap i was running for so long. I make good use of the Hibernation feature, though rarely leave any programs running when i start hibernating, don't always check, i just like the speed increase it gives

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My PC only does this if I turn the power off at the mains, but will do it 100% even if I only turn the mains off just long enough for the PSU to discharge. It's only ever happened once.
    Occasionally, if I get a crash (usually me messing with my graphics settings, I've yet to have a crash with this board and been left wondering why) then when it reboots it will power off and back on, but usually with my overclock settings intact.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Russ
    ive read your post and as MR Spock would say. "thats simply logical" i will call intel in a couple hours once they are open.no 24hr support..lol. as i will wait to send the MOBO back until i get the CPU back..

this is gonna drive me plum nuts not haven my puter. back to 1 /2-2hr converting stuff..lol

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, boo hoo, I'm without my PC for two weeks! lol
    That is unless I can get the old one working again. It boots linux fine but reboots the instant you select windows. Not really sure why that surprises me.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just chated with my good buddy at Intel. he is going to email the info i need for a successful exhange of CPU's. he said it should take about 15 mins to get that email...LMAO!!!!!!! and i can go from there with the RMA of the CPU maybe they will make a BIG mistake and send me in replacement of the E8400 a new shiney QX9650...rotflmfaopimp....... hows that aerosmith song go. dream on dream on dream until your dreams come true....

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, if you hope too hard, an E2160 will probably turn up! lol.
    well, best of luck Rob!

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I feel for ya Rob, fortunately my problems (I hope) aren't anywhere near as severe as yours. AT&T are overnighting me a new modem as I am only getting sporatic connection to the internet. I do however get an occasional blue screen (windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer error) when after rebooting with the odd error 0X00000001, 0X000000FF etc. There are about five of them and since I'm not at home I can't recall exactly what they are....keyboard and mouse something or other from what I remember via a search. If I boot again all seems well, I've only had once that I had to boot twice to load winblows.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@loco
    i doubt what your getting and what ihave going on are even close in the same. i cant even get mine to post now. i just jope it didnt do anything to my mobo.and a new CPU will fix it. well im off to the post office to mail it out...good thing it is only going to loisville ky. a couple hour ride. so it might not take forever and a week to get it back....yea right,,,,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.