1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Just remember, it ends pretty much in a scream! LOL!!

A while ago I had read a technical article on how the C2Ds were made and completely forgotten that the cores are connected completely by hand. They never did explain why it can't be done by machine though. I think God created the high Resistance Connection to challenge mankind! LOL!! back in the bad old days of electronics stuff like that could frustrate the hell out of you! At least before the VTVM was invented for reading active circuits, in line. Now we go on line and get inactive threads and URLs! ROFLMAO!!

BTW, an interesting bit of trivia! I actually found the origin of the word $hit! Seems that back in the early days of steamships, coal was always hard to come by. When it couldn't be had they used cow Patties all dried out and hard. They would fill the hold with them and burn them to make steam. Water would get into the hold and get the Cow Patties wet. It didn't take too many times where someone with a lantern went down to check the hold and blew up the ship from the methane gas before they started keeping the patties high and dry, so they marked the loads of cow patties Ship High In Transit! This eventually translated out to the just plain $hit! LOL!!

creaky,
    A note on the on, off, on bit! It's possible to mess up the bios settings so bad the the computer just turns on and off endlessly. if that happens, what you have to do is shut it down, turn off the power switch on the PSU and pull the plug for a few minutes. When you plug it back in and fire it up it will come right up at the default settings. Drove me crazy when it happened to me trying to figure out what the heck was going on. No scientific genius here though. I unplugged everything and laid the computer on the bed to get a better view to check all the connections, and when I put it back on my desk, it fired right up! I though I had blown something up! LOL!! Keep that in mind in case it ever happens to you!

Best Regards,
    Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well I managed to get my old Athlon XP machine up and running again on a modified version of XP, runs fine, although the idle temp of 55C is a little high! lol

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

well we can aways send 1 of are drivers over to pick it up..lol

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

"Athlon XP + up and running = high temperatures" i know the feeling, my 2800XP always ran too hot due to the teeny case it's in, with virtually no airflow
    [​IMG] there's even a noisy Delta fan in there and that didn't help too much; though it's now only used by the kids so it never gets that hot anymore :p

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, this is in a relatively large case, with five 80mm fans at 2500rpm... The case is nice and cool, the CPU, however isn't.

6. Can2113

Can2113 Member

im going to build a rig soon, can anyone let me know if all these parts are compatible and wont try to kill me in my sleep? Thanks! I havent built a pc in a while and its like i have to learn all over again.
    Anyway, heres my projected parts list:

-ASUS P5N-E SLI + Intel E4600
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3720333&CatId=2406
    -Corsair 2x2gb ddr2 ram
    http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-4gb...-ddr2-240-pin-memory/q/loc/101/204979188.html
    -GeForce 7300gs
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1960187&CatId=1560
    -Xeon case + 450w psu
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1786776&CatId=1509

I plan on using the hdd's/monitor/keyboard+mouse/speakers out of my current pc. I dont plan on heavy gaming, maybe a little bit, but i wont be trying to run Crysis at full resolution. I'll probably pick up a dvd burner along the way, but installing those is a piece of cake.

Does anyone know if the mobo/cpu combo comes with a heatsink and fan?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AVOID the P5N-E SLI. I REALLY mean this, it's an awful motherboard. They are forever going wrong, they get much too hot and they are known for random Bluescreens.
    The Power supply is also junk, you need to get a much better unit than that.
    Additionally, I would be surprised if the 7300GS can run Crysis at all, let alone at a resolution like 1024x768. If this is a gaming PC, that list needs a bit of an overhaul.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052
    (This CPU comes with a cooler)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102703
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
    (450W is ample, you just need a decent brand - Xion PSUs are terrible)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Remember, you may need to reinstall windows with a hardware upgrade this scale.

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

usually they come with a cheap one, always buy another fan (never go OEM on these things, you want the best performane)

just look up a 775 heat sink/fan combo, pick up some thermal grease too (arctic silver)!!
    i'll let the other guy suggest a fan brand/type for you!

-tripplite

9. Can2113

Can2113 Member

I plan on cutting a hole in the side of the case and making a pvc tube to kind of shroud the cpu fan and help get the air out of the case.

I just looked at the site and noticed there is no fan, so i guess i should pick one up ;)

I am most worried about the ram/mobo compatibility. Any insight on this would be great.

Thanks!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The motherboard and RAM I posted will work together.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Corsair TX650 - Quiet
    Antec NeoPower - Moderately noisy
    Coolermaster RealPower - Very noisy

650W is enough to power a Quad core multi-GPU system with ease, so the TX 650W is ample for your needs. It is as silent as all the other Corsair units, but ramps up slightly earlier. The HX units remain at 22dB until 350W or so when they begin to ramp up, reaching 29dB at 400W, and 40dB or so at 500.
    The TX650W remains at 21dB until 250W where it rises to a still near-silent 23 at 300W. At 400W the TX650 produces a similar noise level to the HX, at 38dB, and the typical noise level of most units at load. 400W though is a lot, I'd be very surprised if you get anywhere near that.
    (note: E4300 OC'ed to 3.15 plus HD3870, 4GB RAM and 3 hard disks = 225W at full load)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

for another $18 you can get this baby just got another one for my up n coming build. I highly recommend. the one in my current pc has performed flawlessly.

All I lack now for the new build is a mobo, cpu and video card. I say that's all but those three components alone are still gonna cost me in the neighborhood of $700.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

mm, the 620W HX units are superb.
    As for the new build, those three are really the "big spend" items of any build really, now that RAM and storage are so cheap...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The case can cost quite a bit too. My case was 170 because the rebates didn't come in :(

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok everyone dont knock me down trying to get to this....

i just got the high quality INTEL THERMAL PASTE today.im thinking of letting it go to the highest bidder.......

im listening to all offers....

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    I bid 1 poke in the eye with a burnt stick! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Holy $HITE!!! I was just thinking about a mighty slap to the face. hehehe. j/k Rob ole boy....

I don't think he would loose any serious functions but there might be loss of feeling for a while. It's not good when a 320lb (22 stones and 12 lbs for you English blokes) FATMAN slaps the crap out of you..... hehehe. :p Man this has gone a bit OT hadnit?? lol.

....gm

19. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

it might not be to bad for a man that weighs 21.43 stones himself...lol

tell ya what if ya cant learn anything in here you sure can get a well needed laugh.....lol

20. Can2113

Can2113 Member

I dont plan on gamin at all on this pc really. I will not ever be buying an ATI card until they decide they dont hate linux any more. I'll stick to nvidia. The 7300 seemed good because it was relatively cheap and gives me enough power for the likes of Compiz-fusion and some 3d modeling.
    The gigabyte mobo is a win though. Ill probably go with that one.
    I want a core2duo so it plays nice with osx86. If you can suggest a better core2duo ill be happy :D
    I'd also like to stay with 2x2gb ram so its less expensive to go to 8gb later. Unless you have a specific reason for the 2x1gb....?
    I only have a few hundred to spend. Ideally this will stay around $450. Im not looking for mind-blowingly awesome power, but enough to get me out of the P4 dark ages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.