1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Our apologies Rob, but I've only ever seen one other faulty CPU in my life. What can I say, it just doesn't happen that often.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i guess im part of history here then..lol its a shame my first and only CPU purchase i get a cracked up one.

heres what has me curious though... they got it tuesday and shipped me a new one out wednsday. did they actually test it to see if it was bad or just ship me a new one to be done with it???? i wonder if i call them if they will tell me if they found something wrong with it???

@sam no need to appologize. i ment it as a joke nothing more. this is all a learning expereince. i take no offence in any thing said in good humor and just haven fun.

i/we all learn something new everyday. just hope to be able to pass along what ive learned......

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They might have shoved it in a board and gone "does it POST?" "nope" - "send him a new one". It may be as simple as that. Or it could be as you said, they didn't test it at all. That would surprise me though.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i just checked the tracking on the CPU it, like my burner is on the truck and out for delivery. so they will both be here today. UPS is like clock work for me. about 2:00pm they are here....SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

SO luck is sort of on your side again... :)

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yup it s looking that way again..bout time...

now after going through this once. i wont be trying to take it up to 3.6ghz as soon as i get it. i think 3.2 range and thats only after i get it running at 3.0ghz makeing sure all it well.

i was gonna have my cooler sent out and have it profesionaly LAPPED but i dont have the time now....

speaking of that(temps) thinking of it that should have been a indication to me there. the higher temps of the CPU from the start. i never really had the low core temps this CPU should have had.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What I would do is casually use the CPU as you normally would at stock for 2-3 days, then experiment with how far you can overclock it, without touching the voltage. On an E8400, I'd leave that well alone.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

since ive had this problem and have narrowed it down to the CPU or MOBO. ive done some searching.

the stock volts for the E8400 is 1.225v and here lately with it being out a few months now . more people have stated that leaveing the volts at the 1.225v they have OC'd it as much as the 3.6ghz that i want without bumping up the volts. so as you stated for the next 2-3 days everything will stay stock....

as for my mobo. it is out of the case and in the box and has been for about a week i guess. whill it still have the settings from the old cpu? and if it might is it smart to clear CMOS before i install the new CPU. or maybe even take the battery out for a few mins let it all reset?
    the mem once the CMOS is cleared it will show it as 1066 until i OC the CPU then goes to 800mhz and i can adjust it up from there. but should i leave the mem at the 1066 or drop it to 800mhz

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I'd take out the battery or short the board to clear CMOS and treat it as a fresh build, start from scratch so to speak. I think you've got the same mobo as I do and there should be a CMOS clear post just below the PCI-e x16 lane that you can use a screwdriver to short...or as you said just take the battery out for about 10 minutes. Look at your mobo book, it should tell you how to do it in case we do infact have different boards.

I was just ribbin ya about the CPU BTW.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One of my old boards remembered the time after 18 months of not being plugged in. I'm sure it'll be fine, lol.
    I personally prefer using 800mhz memory as it seems to run better. You're not overclocking much so it shouldn't be a problem.

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i know ya was LOCO. i did make it sound like i had no help from anyone here. and i didnt mean it to sound like that, thats all.
    ive taken the battery out of the mobo. been out for 30 mins or so. well long enough to play 4 songs on hard level on GH3...lol

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Haha, good man! Which ones?

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

slowride
    hit me with your best shot
    talk dirty to me
    story of my life

first round of the hard level.
    we beat slowride and hit me with your best shot

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, wait until you get to the real tracks like Knights of Cydonia... haha they're fun on Hard!

15. LOCOENG

I'm looking at the PC version of GHIII Sambo, is it worth it as I don't have a console.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@LOCO
    the PC versions of GH3 are kinda hard to play i think. thats if your talking about useing your keyboard as the guitar.... to big to handle right.

17. LOCOENG

18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh you mean that...LMAO... yea id say if you have a good monitor and graphic card your set. but i myself would just get it for the PS2 or what you have...

19. LOCOENG

I've got the 8600GT so it should run fine. They don't even make it for my lowly old original xbox.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The PC version is alright, provided you get a guitar controller obviously, the keyboard/mouse suck a bit. I don't think the DLC version works that well, and the game is a shoddy port, so you'll need quite a powerful PC to run it (yes I know, retarded though that is, it's true).

Last time I checked the 8600GT was the bare minimum for the game to run. It won't be as smooth as the PS2 version unless you have something as powerful as an 8600GTS or better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.