1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Looks like an upgrade in my future then....hadn't really checked the specs too closely.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

the main problem is the game only draws every other frame it renders. If you produce 50fps, the game only runs at 25fps, presumably botched de-interlacing since it's based off the PS2 version. Consequently, the game is juddery unless you're drawing a MINIMUM of 60fps. And you don't need me to tell you that playing GH3 juddery is crap.
    Also, not that this affects many, the following resolutions have graphical corruption in them:
    1792x1344
    1800x1440
    1920x1200
    1920x1440
    2048x1536
    2560x1600
    I say graphical corruption, the space beneath the fret markers at the bottom of the screen (normally just a bit of background) is bugged, and flashes irritatingly. At the particularly high resolutions (2048x1536, 2560x1600) the whole left side of the screen flickers too.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I play frets on fire, it's really fun and it's free!

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well the new CPU in it home. fire it up and still get the same stupid ass problem. power lights and fans come on then shuts down again, over and over.. bought ready to take a hammer to it

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: FoF is fun, I play it more than most, but it's buggy, the new version doesn't even work lol, and although the track selection you can find is awesome, a lot of them are rather badly sync'ed and transcribed, because any old idiot is allowed to do it!

Rob: Huh, bad luck then, maybe it's a dodgy board. Or, they've given you the same CPU back... I would say only kidding, but given my experiences you never know.

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no its a new CPU came in a sealed factory box and differrent serial number on it

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Whose board are you using right now?

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

my own. GA-P35-DS3R
    it will be going back in the morning

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah then it pretty much narrows it down to the board.

I'm talking to Crucial right now because their memory sucks! Let's see if I can get them to send me a better set.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sorry to hear about your bad luck Rob. as a rule of thumb, if I suspect a problem with the cpu or mobo, I send them both in for testing just to be safe.

I need some opinions on this video card good price and will fit my needs me thinks. might buy another one later to run Xfire.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

great card, great cooler, great price.
    Crossfire though, sure, but are you going to see the benefits of it?

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nay not really since I'm not a gammer but why not. I'm going 1st class everywhere else. maybe the Doc's rubbing off on me. just something to improve on in the future and play with.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@mort81
    you going with that ASUS Rampage mobo? very nice if i say so myself...lol

well the mobo is on its way to CALI...so this time i will be down and out for a few weeks i guess. 2-3 Business weeks they said....

should i make it a trifecta and send in my mem also????lol dang cant complain about the case its doing its job..lol

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I know I'm getting MY memory replaced. If they don't send me a good pair I'll be majorly Pissed.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    It may be even faster than that if it's something wrong that can't be fixed at their level. When I sent the P4P800 SE into Asus for warranty repair it was 29 days before I got it back and came back with the same problem it went in for. I put my foot down hard and made them replace it. Of course I had to threaten to take them to Court when they refused to do any more for me. Hey, it would cost me $37.50! What would it cost them to have to send someone here to defend them? Got my new MB, and it's still working fine and has a good home! That's when they tried to nick me for the so called "damaged Socket" when I sent it back! Mind you this was less than a month before the big P5N-E fiasco with Gina's E4300 that finished me with Asus! I'll recommend their high end motherboards, but I will also let them know that their Customer and Technical Service Sucks!

Bet yours is back befor the time even gets close!

My first DS3R was a Rev. 1.0, and even though I could get a replacement from Newegg, I went through GigaByte hoping for a Rev. 2.0 and not another Rev. 1.0. I had a new MB 3 days after they received mine!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

boozer you're silly... ;) what's the deal with your RAM?? It doesn't OC 100% or what. lol. What about Corsair or Mushkin?? Have you tried their upper end RAM??

Robert.... Sorry you're having these issues, I truly hope this (new mobo) fixes whatever is ailing your puter. :) GH3 huh?? We have it for the Wii. lol. isux really badly!!

Morty I like that card and it's pretty danged good for what we would use it for. lol. You don't play Crysis or anything like that do you?? I don't.... btw you should get that DFI so we can have another perspective on different mobos and such. I would love to try one out but I'm afraid the wifey might object after the spending the last couple of months. lol. ;) /me likes this mobo but IF I buy anything else for me in the mobo arena it will be X38 or X48..... ;)

good luck to all and happy building!!!

....gm

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@GM
    dang that DFI board does look sweet. i like the idea of the 2 ide hookups, along with 8 sata connectors. not a bad price for all that either.

@Russ
    i hope there aint no problem getting it back in a fast amount of time..lol i hope they do test it and see if there is something wrnog and let me know one way or another. cause i know for a fact INTEL didnt test that CPU they just sent me another one to be done with it..im not complaing they did that but i would have liked to known if there was a problem.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

rob I'm sure they'll have your mobo back in a month or two..... hehehe. :p

On the DFI mobo I will add that the SATA ports are a little awkward to get at and if you don't have a fairly large case I would say they might be a pita.... jm2c of course. PLUS L@@K at all the GREEN goodies that comes with the DFI mobo. :D /me is smiling from ear to ear!!! The Striker Extreme is set up very similarly and if it wasn't in that huge G-byte case I may have said a few "ugly" words trying to hook the SATA cables up. lol.

....gm

edit: green goodies in the DFI mobo kit/box....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

@ GM,

I thought long and hard about the DFI LP LT X38 mobo but after reading the DFI forum I ran into a little snag with my TR Ultra 120 Extreme. it was going to have to be mounted 90 degrees from std mount with the fan blowing down to clear the NB heatsink. check these pics out.

I think I will go with the Asus Rampage Formula. it has about the same features and then some as the DFI mobo and there should be no interference problems with my TR HSF. besides it will be a little more future proof with the X48 chipset.

I also think I'm gonna go ahead and order that GPU.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, it wont work at 850 Mhz! That's pathetic! This is at 4-4-4-12.

I used to have Crucial Ballistix 800 that did OVER 1066mhz at 4-4-4-12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.