1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's an impressive burner for sub $40...

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i know. thats what a lot of us here have been wanting lately but not available at a decent price. i even just bought the Liteon LH-20A1S for $32....go figure...lol

3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I think I can wait Rob, thanks for the heads up though. I need to get connectivity issues sorted first....seems I scared everyone away with my last post. :p

Big words and lots of numbers scare me.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

man im not sure if i should have shipped my mobo back useing UPS. scheduled delivery day is 4/3/08. a week from yesterday when i sent it out... i think reg mail would be quicker.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

creaky,

that antec 1200 isn't a bad looking case. too bad it's not aluminum and they aren't truely tooless.

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Greensman - as requested I have posted on the thread you linked to with my experiences of the 215's.

Sam - I already have the PS3 for bluray - and I have a friend who has a HDDVD player already and has quite a few discs - so for under £30 im thinking why not - yes the format lost the war but there are literally hundreds of films out on HD not on BD - ie transformers and the matrix - probably two of the best examples of HD out at the moment. Only reason Im umming and arring is because Im hoping that they will soon bring out a HD DVD player that also does normal DVDs and Divx, then I can replace my current Divx DVD player with one and be done with it. At the moment the best I can find is a standard HD player (no Divx) for about £50.

Rob - soon you will have some real luck with this build of yours - we thought intels turnaround was the start of your luck but obviously not lol - chin up though aye.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    This is what should have come with your new MB!

[​IMG]

These are the specific extras listed in the parts list, so why you didn't get 2 right angle Sata cables is a good question. Maybe they just were out of them at the time, but you should have everything shown in the pic! I've gotten a pair of right angle Sata cables with all three GigaByte motherboards I've owned!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mort: Is any case truly tool-less? In all honesty, doing a few screws up doesn't really bother me, you're still going to have to screw things like the motherboard in place, so why not do the rest?

Theone: That's exactly what I've got, except as far as I can see the right-angle cables shown to the right are the same as the pair to their left. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, I'll have another check. The P35C-DS3R certainly came with all four cables flat. It doesn't really bother me to be honest, until I do a proper cable tidy, it wouldn't make any difference, I get the right number of cables, and that's all that matters!

9. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

My P35C-DS3R definitely came with 2 straight and 2 right angled - they are sitting in the cupboard right now as I wanted blue cables :)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

right, I'm checking the box for the X38-DS4.

Yup, four flat cables, as before. It doesn't bother me, but weird how I never get the right-angled ones.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  11. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Hmmm... My EP35 DS4 board came with 2 rt angle sata cables also....

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well sammy looks like you and I are hated by G=byte. lol. Didn't get the proper cables according to the other either... but like you I don't need them. :)

....gm

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I'm concerned, I've got my 4 cables, I'm happy. :)

[​IMG]

14. redice

redice Regular member

Sam

keep us posted on how well that board works because i'm looking at that board for when i make my jump to core 2 duo in a couple of months.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Will do. It may not be running crossfire for a couple of weeks but it should be up and running in my PC, hopefully by around the 7-8th April since that's when I'll be back in York.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

well I screwed up on my bargain (or so I thought) 120mm antec tricool fans. they don't have the 3rd yellow rpm sensing wire or a 3 pin connector. now I've got to order some more and I might as well go led too but I can't decide between red and green.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All the Tricool 120mm fans I've had have been lacking the 3-pin connector. I didn't even realise you could get ones that do, I gauge their rpm by ear.

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

the blue led 120mm tricool fans I have in this case both have three wires (red, white, yellow) and the power lead is three pin but they came with 3-4 pin molex adaptors too in case you want to hook directly to the psu. I want to regulate the front and rear through my mobo.

I also found out antec makes different grade tricools. these bargain ones are only sleeve bearing where the better grade are double ball bearing.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Interesting, the fans for my 900 were DBB I think. Sleeve bearings are good for quietness, but as far as endurance at high speed goes, Ball bearing is definitely the way to go.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well let me Chime in before you know who does...lol
    there is no way you can go wrong with the RED LED fans Mort, none at all. i wouldnt let anyone try and tell ya them GREEN ones are the way to go either....lmao

@sam
    what CPU you putting on the X38? quad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.