1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Well rob was right but I'll leave your tastes up to you Morty!! ;) I picked these for you if you want to go with the Antec TriCools... link to fans... I would go with the TriColor 120's if it were me. ;) You get something different and blue/green/red in one fan... :D It's all subjective really. lol. :p

...gm

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you already have Blue fans, then green will look the best(Sorry Rob). If you don't have Any lights at all in there, then I would get the red fans.

3. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I knew he would come to his senses one of these days.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I was kind of leaning towards the red too. sorry gm. I'm just gonna get 3 for now, front, rear, and top. I can use a couple of these cheapy tricools for the side for now if I decide to mod the side panel to accomodate a couple fans and still fit in with my TR ultra 120 extreme. the best I've found for 3 antec 120mm red led tricool fans is at SVC due to shipping costs. $49.72 at SVC vs 55.95 at newegg. every little bit helps.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Dude! I hate to say that you don't know what you are talking about, but "You don't know what you are talking about"! LOL!! Blue and red will always look better together! Reason? It messes with the red and blue cones in your eyes that causes the two colors to fight for dominance, but neither ever win as it's a constant shifting of the colors, back and forth! Green will never give the same effect. Blue and red have a certain strangeness that's lacking in any other color combination because of that!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well that's just my preference. I wont argue about it too much because...

Respectfully,
    Abuzar

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    I understand what you are saying and I like green myself, but all the other colors don't have the mystique of Red and Blue together. Other colors look good but they all lack the "eerie" something between them that Red and Blue make when used together!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I wish I had more extra money. I DO have quite a bit I made myself, but I just can't justify it to myself and my Dad.

I really wanna get two Green cathodes that turn on and off to music. That would be so bad-ass.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I'm color blind so i guess it doesn't matter what colors i use huh lol

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    Guess not! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Maybe color blind,but has an eye for shapes. LOL

12. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Red and Blue has to be better than Green and Blue - otherwise superman chose the wrong colours lol

13. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Ditto, since I don't have any lexan and my PC sits peacefully under my desk I don't really care about the colors. :)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Blue and green is kickass, but Blue and Red is also very cool - just bear in mind that red LEDs are often not as bright as blue/green ones, which is why an all-red case design is a much more subtle effect.
    The only tricolour fan I had was a Thermaltake Thunderblade. Aside from the fact it made an absurd din, pushed a pretty mediocre amount of air and failed after a few months, my main gripe with it was that the colours changed and flashed and made pretty patterns. That's suitable for a christmas tree, but not a computer.
    As for green cold cathodes and wishing you had any more money - do you realise how cheap they are? I bought a pair of 12" green cathodes for £4 off a computer site and found a module that makes them flash either at a set time or to music, for an additional £3 on ebay!

Theone: You are correct about the colour match, but due to the lower brightness of most red LEDs, either will be a good bet.

ZosoIV: At least that makes things nice and simple!

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

ZoSo didn't know you was without color...hehehe. :p Just buy the white ones, they are frikkin bright and also provide "pure" light that's not distorted with all the unnecessary color you can't see anyway. :D

and BTW there is PURPLE LED's too.... still looking at those for the "PURPLE" innards computer.... lol

I'll say that blue and green look ok and so does white with any combo that I've seen but I haven't seen red except for the few internet sights or from you fellas posting in here. Maybe that RED's guy will get his fans in some day. lol. It's NOT like he can use them right now anyway. hehehe. Oh that was mean..... sorry buddy couldn't refuse. :D You wanna borrow my Quad for a while?? Oh that's mean too......

@sammy,
    I bought one of the "UV" cold cathodes but haven't installed it yet. I can't decide if it needs to go in the case with GREEN or PURPLE reactive plastic... decisions... decisions....

@REDSman,
    Just bought another ODD... wife's pissed... oh well... Sony/Optiarc 7190S (which is a Lite-On DH-20A3S)... I may have to join an Optical Drive Anonymous group before the end of the year.... ROFL....

....gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

White LED fans do look good, I can confirm that. Be advised though that UV-reactive lighting is a lot more subtle than LEDs, and if you have normal LED lighting in there from case fans it may get somewhat draowned out.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

that just aint right...lol besides i dont need the quad i need that striker its connected too...lol

whats that make ya have now 34 ODD's???? thinking you might wanna open your own shop..lol

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The only working burner I have is in a PC that I can't even use normally, as it stays at home, where I am now!

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The quad will work quite nicely in your board Rob, I can attest to that.

EDIT: I forgot you don't have a board either.... :p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

theres a thousand comedians out of work and you all cracking jokes..lmao

heck i got this brand new E8400 still in the box. think i can get $227 for it? then i can get me a Quad(Q6600)

@GM
    do you remember where you seen that window side panel for our case? ive been trying to find it and can only find forums talking about them???
    found it..lol
    Side Panel

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.