1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Don't let us talk you into a quad Rob, I'm sure you'll be happy with the E8400 once you get everything right. Even then you could sell/trade for a Q6600 down the road if you like.

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh if it was still within the 30 days i was takeing it back to microcenter and exchangeing it for a Q6600. they have them for $199 right now. i paid $189 for my E8400.

3. LOCOENG

Drats and I paid $225 for my Q6600.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I paid 225 POUNDS STERLING for my 4200+.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

lol greensman i guess white will work fine for me. and whats the word on when the E8400s are going to be available again guys?

well I'm off to get a new monitor the Samsung 2493HM 24" so i will let everyone know soon how i like it. heres a few of the specs

5 ms response time; 10,000:1 contrast ratio; 400 cd/m² brightness; 1920 x 1200 resolution ,1080p; 160° horizontal and vertical viewing angles; DVI-D, VGA and HDMI inputs

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Loco, that deal is in store only. So unless you have a microcenter near you, forget about getting it that cheap.

7. LOCOENG

I bought mine from ebay...can't really see a use for two of them boozer :p

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Hey Sam,
    Just thought you would like to know, I understand much better how and why fan noises bother you! I took the Evercool 40x40x10mm fan off of the SouthBridge! The noise and vibration were more than I could take! I even tried a Zalman controller, but when it ran quiet enough to not be annoying, it wouldn't start on it's own. At full chat, it was irritating to say the least! Since it didn't seem to do much of anything to begin with, I just took it out! LOL!! It was actually louder than the Silenx I had on the Northbridge when it was on the way out! It's amazing that something so small can make such a racket. It's a brand new one too! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Loco, I meant you wouldn't have saved those 25 bucks either if you don't have a Microcenter near you.

Mine cost be 245 with shipping, but it included a freezer 7 pro.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup, that's effectively a scaled up version of what irritates me. Because I'm sensitive to quiet noises, I pick up on that almost all the time. The FM121s have a very unclean noise signature at low speeds, but it's more like a hissing, and in fact, if you can relate, it sounds like a quiet version of a belt-driven system when wet.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    I tried the Zalman fan controller on both a new and old 80mm Silverstone. The difference between bothe of tham and the noise they make is astounding! The brand new one makes a good deal more noise than the old one at the low rpms you use. Sort of a cross between a hissing sound and a low rumble! Ball bearing fans will get quieter as the balls and races break in and develop a set.

BTW you mentioned that with your MB, the fan controls only control the CPU. My manual doesn't indicate any different yet see the Everest pic below and the fan is clearly running slower than the 1300 rpm minimum speed of the fan. I have the feed coming from the Chassis fan header and at startup, it runs about 800 rpm and increases speed up to about 1300 rpm if it gets warm enough. It's only 23C in here today, so it's a little cool, but you can see that the CPU fan and the Side cover fan change rpms along with the temperatures of the MB.

[​IMG]

Why it's doing that I don't know, but it does such a good job, I'll just leave it alone. Maybe it's something peculiar to the DS3R Rev. 2.0. The rear case fan (fan #4) is set to just below 1300 manually and is driven off of the PSU! You can clearly see just how well it all works together! I have a Encode job to do and I'll pop you a pic of the temps so you can see the difference in fan speeds!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

These tests were done a few months after the fans had been in use on a regular basis, I'm not waiting that long for fans to get quiet.
    As for the fans, CHA_FAN2 is also automatic. The other two however, run at 12V all the time.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

seeing all i can do is read about my parts.lol ive been reading more about the E8400. this is a bad azz cpu.(shame i cnat add to that)
    now that its been out and a few more people have it and have been OC'ing it. it has been found it dont need its vcore bumped up to get stable at 3.6-3.8ghz the standard 1.225 is plenty for it.

good thing i got a brande new one to start from scratch...lol thanks INTEL for not testing my old one and just sending me a new one... ;)~

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@ZOSO and anyone else interested in the hard to get E8400
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117165

same spec as the E8400 some are saying its the same chip different name

E3110 cpu specs
    Manufacturer: INTEL
    Mfg Part#: BX80570E3110

The new 45 nm Dual-Core processors feature enhanced Intel Core microarchitecture that provides your business with exceptional performance and power efficiency at a very affordable cost.

Features Clock Speed 3.0GHz
    Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Form Factor 775-pin LGA Socket T
    Manufacturer Part Number BX80570E3110
    Standard Warranty 3 Year(s) Limited
    Front Side Bus 1333MHz
    Manufacturer Website Address www.intel.com
    Product Name Xeon UP Dual-core E3110 3.0GHz Processor
    Cache Memory 64KB L1 (Instruction) - 6MB L2 (Advanced Smart)
    64KB L1 (Data)
    Packaged Quantity 1

E8400 cpu specs
    Manufacturer: INTEL
    Mfg Part#: BX80570E8400

Based on revolutionary Intel Core microarchitecture, the breakthrough Intel Core2 Duo processor family is designed to provide powerful energy-efficient performance so you can do more at once without slowing down.

Features Manufacturer Intel Corporation
    Clock Speed 3.0GHz
    Form Factor 775-pin LGA Socket T
    Standard Warranty 3 Year(s) Limited
    Manufacturer Part Number BX80570E8400A
    Front Side Bus 1333MHz
    Manufacturer Website Address www.intel.com
    Product Name Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz Processor
    Cache Memory 6MB L2 (Advanced Smart)

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

It sure L@@KS like similar "specs" lol. I think a mutual friend was talking about that cpu but I didn't record our convo and he says so much when he talks. lol.

Vacation last week and aerifying (poking holes in the greens and filling with sand) this week have put a damper on playing with the high end goodies. lol. I'm getting anxious for some new movies to try out the NEW toys I've put together lately. :D

I may have to go to the WalMart $5 dollar bin and pick up some classics!!! :p

Hey Robert,
    Since you'll (your computer) be down for a few more days (maybe a couple of weeks) send that E8400 to Texas and lemme stick it on the ASUS Striker Extreme and lets see what we can do with it. hehehe. Or better yet just hop a SW flight and stay for a long weekend. :D Oh I'm bad and know it. :) You're such a good chappie about it tho!!!! :-D

good luck to all.....

...gm

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Robert,

good find sir. the xeons should actually be a little better than the core 2 duos since they are server based. hard to believe the server equivalent is actually cheaper than it's desktop brother. it's usually the other way around.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

So is Morty gonna jump on said cpu??

Morty you come any closer to chosing a mobo?? Last word was the ASUS Rampage... good choice me thinks... of course none of us have experience that I know of.... :D So you is the Guinea Pig any way you look at it... hehehe. :p

good luck with your choices buddy....

...gm

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

how cpu crazy do I want to go? hmmm this crazy or just this crazy.

edit for gm: 99% sure on the rampage formula.

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort i heard at the PC shop the E8500 may be in this week!

this new Samsung 24" montior is amazing guys! I would show you a screen shot but I would get in trouble lol

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.