1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I may jusy go that route. what I don't understand is the warranty. oem cpu's used to have only a one year warranty but they show that one having three years. I thought only the retail versions (cpu and fan) had a three year warranty. wonder if that is a misprint.

edit: nevermind. it is a retail version with hsf. they just don't show it in the retail box.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  3. greensman

greensman Regular member

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ZoSoIV,

they are basically the same but the xeon's are suppossedly a little more immune to heat.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    No, but they ran out of stock on all three, pretty damn quick! The link for the E3110 I posted had 100 of them. I just hope Rob sees my previous post before they are all gone!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

greensman buy.com is 60.00 dollars higher on that E8400 than everyone else. and its out of stock there too.

I may order the E3110 Russ posted early week

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    The way the chips vanished at the site GM linked, now may even be too late! Lots of fuss on the Net about it! People are seriously hunting these CPUs down like dogs!

This one's for our friends across the pond
    http://www.tankguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=1814

Not a bad price either!

EDIT! I'm back!! I've done a little research and found that there are three differences between the E3110 and the E8400! First is Intel's number designation! SLAPL for the E8400 and SLAPM for the E3110. VID Voltage Range is lower on the E3110 from 0.956-1.225v, than it is on the E8400, 0.85-1.3625v. As near as I can figure there is one feature that the E3110 has that the E8400 doesn't have! I/OAT or I/O Acceleration Technology. This explains it better than I can!
    http://www.intel.com/technology/ioacceleration/index.htm

There's a lot about the two processors on the internet, but I look at it this way! There are many reports of successful 3.6GHz and over, as far as 4.3 on air! Oh! And no one is complaining! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

9. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

that saddens me that the wolfdales are in....considering i bought the conroe....

speaking of that...got my comp built in a lil under 4 hrs and fired up flawlessly the first time, running at 20c at idle and around 32c pushed at medium settings with crysis (the game reccomended medium)...anyways ive been trying to overclock but i found something odd... for one the easy tune 5 software that came with the boar says my processor is only clocking at 2.8 ghz. I use the easy settings for overclock cause i dont know how to mess with all the other dials and i have to overclock by 13% to reach 3.016ghz or something like that but then it has a tendency to lock up, it seems to only be stable up to about 10% which is still only like 2.9ghz and some change. i havent tried using the ati overdrive yet but i am curious.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

bladerz I'm sure you wanted the latest tech but you didn't get a bad cpu so try not to show to much remorse. ;) I bought the E6850 right before they dropped in price and about 2-3 weeks before the Wolfdales came out. ;) You talk about price differences. I paid about $265 for the E6850 when the introductory price for the E8400 was $189 and even now they're running $200-$220 when in stock.... :D

If it were me I wouldn't use EasyTune. You can't be as "specific" about your OC with that progie and using the Gigabyte mobo for OC is as easy as pie. ;)

I'll see if I can find your final parts list but please post your RAM and mobo again. ;) I'm sure we'll get your E6750 up to at least 3.2 or so with little efforts. Maybe even 3.6 if the stars will line up right.... :)

....gm

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the thing is though, that the xenons are not so good at gamign as number crunching. the Q9450 will be much better at gaming than the xenons. there is a reason they are server based, and the Q and E8/6/2/4 are gaming based.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats about the best your gonna find this CPU price wise. like GM said i got mine when they first came out. got it at microcenter for $189. $219 is a steal for it now if they still have any....

@Russ
    i seen your post. think i might even came across that when i was looking for them..but im not getting another CPU right now... i havent been able to get a feel for the one i have now...lol

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oh you're feeling something but it ain't a cpu. hehehe. :p

Hope they get your mobo back to ya quickly rob. :)

I'll say that Xeon based Quad is interesting but again the "trouble & strife" will be against any more electronic/computer related purchases. :D

...gm

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Has anyone confirmed that? I see no reason why Xeons would be worse at playing games on a technological level, though it's a reasonable assumption to make. Given the comparative price in the US, I may have to find a UK site that's looking at getting some... :)

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i was reading it in custom PC

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

and on what grounds did they come to that conclusion?

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

went looking at one of Russ's places for CPU's....lol found this here and in stock.

E8400

OEM. no stock cooler as if it would get used...lol

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just a note, if anyone in the UK wants an E8400, they're currently in stock only at Tekheads and Overclock.co.uk - get 'em while they're hot!

19. herrick

herrick Regular member

Via Washington... LOL "the chip" Ill pass it on to greeny

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I advise against buying an oem/tray cpu. they only have a 1 year warranty. pay another $15-20 and get a retail version w/ hsf. they have a 3 year warranty. cheap insurance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.