1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, I think shaff was trying to explain the confusion.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

bang on :D

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Gottcha both! LOL!!

Russ

4. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

MB GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6 775 X38 RT
    PSU OCZ|OCZ700GXSSLI 700W RT
    CPU INTEL|C2D E6850 3G 65N 4M R
    MEM 1Gx2|CRUCIA BL2KIT12864AA1065 R
    CPUCOOLER|ARCTIC P4|ACFZ7-PRO R
    VGA MSI RX3870-T2D512E OC HD3870 RT
    CASE RAIDMAX|ATX-928WB BK RT
    2X HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS
    Some random noisy ass Lite-On sata dvd burner

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I see you have an excellent motherboard, CPU, memory and CPU cooler.

Do you know how to get to your motherboards BIOS? It's just basic math from there. To start off set your CPU multiplier to 8x and your ram multi to 2.00. Then adjust your FSB little by little. Whatever you put in the FSB place, multiply that number by 8 and that's your CPU speed.

6. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

LOL im not quite that dumb i can get to the bios, just curious, how will you know whats safe and stable? do you just watch your temps while its idling in the bios?

7. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

i pulled out the MB instruction booklet and was reading up i could not find a section for a cpu multiplier, but was able to find a CPU clock Ratio...looks like it might be comparable (IDK) and i was able to find a system memory multiplier. by adjusting my fsb, the only thing i could find was maybe adjusting the voltage.

What about my graphics card, the catalyst overdrive controls lok easy but i dont want to just go playing and fry my $190 graphics card....same as the rest of my comp. i also noticed a pci express freq adjustment as well as an overvoltage control like the FSB one...but i dont really know what to do...

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

bladerz05,
    At this point in bringing up your overclock slowly, I wouldn't bother with the graphics. For one, it's meaningless! At this point you should be finding the limits of the CPU! Once those limits are reached and you've backed off a reasonable amount and establish that it's stable, then you either play with the voltage a little and go for a bit more or see what you can do with your memory! The last thing any builder needs is to have a third thing to consider while he's trying to figure why it crashed To me, graphics are for when you have every other thing tweaked up nice. It's the Icing on the cake!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely. Overclock the CPU first to what seems like a typical overclock for that CPU, then run a stress test like OCCT or Orthos in windows for a substantial period of time and see if it can run without crashing. If it does, may as well up it some more until you find a point where it isn't stable, then knock it back. After you're satisfied with your CPU overclock, then start on the graphics.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey guys I thought about getting a chipset cooler. Will a Thermalright HR-05 SLI Cooler work on my motherboard? I can get one for 10 bucks used. Is it a good deal? This is a pic of the actual thing.

[​IMG]

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

I'd buy it for $10 and sell it if I couldn't use it. :) Heck I'll give you shipping and your $10 back if you buy it for me. ;)

....gm

link to the EGG for HR-05 SLi

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like a good deal to me.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, I would but that seems like too much work! I'm so lazy lol.

No seriously guys, I would love to have this. So if anyone has any idea if Thermalright HR-05 SLI works with a GA-P35-DS3R, let me know.

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok guys. ive seen alot of ya talking about coolers for the NB and SB chips. is there a big advantage to haveing a so called aftermarket cooler on them? why would you need one. do they get that hot to need a bigger cooler? or is it a gameing thing? something to help with cooling while playing the big games?

i used dvd-rebuilder lastnight on 2 fast 2 furious 7.85gb's
    did 2 passes and it took 211 mins. it had 43% compression to fit onto DVD5. if i look in the log for this will it tell me the bitrate of what it done?

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Rob, it keeps everything more stable if your components are cooled well enough. The North Bridge gets hot when you increase the FSB and the FSB voltage. To keep everything cool and OC better a good heatsink comes in handy.

Looks like I might be buying it guys. If it doesn't work I'll let you know GM.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

re the NB & SB coolers, my take on it is that if it needs one, it's supplied with the board, i wouldn't bother upgrading an existing one.

As to Rebuilder that's bad, very bad; my average time is 45mins or so, on just the default passes which i think is 2 anyway. That's main movie mode or full disc mode.
    Yes the bitrates are in the logfile, which is rebuilder.log in Rebuilder's work folder. Post up that part of the logfile, we'll see if we can see where the hold up is..

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i figured as much on the NB,SB coolers was just curious. i doubt i will ever have a problem with them. i wont be doing anything other than dvd-reb like lastnight. but i did that on my little HP system.

@creaky
    what would you say is a good bitrate on a 7.8gb movie? i know you want it as high as you can get. is there a setting to adjust that? i think i got like 2073kbs on what i just did....i think i did 3 passes on it too?? ill look and see

ill PM you the log and tell me what ya think. kinda off topic so i dont wanna clog up the thread with it

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm not expert enough on Rebuilder when it comes to fighting an inadequate bitrate, you'd best start a thread in the Rebuilder forum and do some googling; one tip is use main movie mode, i personally only ever do main movie mode (for movies) as i'm not interested in the padding/crap they have the cheek to call 'extras'. For concert dvd's i obviously do full disc mode and then if i have an appalling bitrate i just live with it, it's not like i'd watch it very often anyway, there's always too much other stuff to watch

edit- Doh, i missed the bit about it being encoded on a slower system, my bad, the runtime's probably fine then :)

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

boozer answered the hsink questions. ;)

I used DVD RB Pro a couple of times this weekend (smallish movies tho... movie only mode) and the E6850 is frikkin FAST!!! Did a 5.6GB in 28 minutes and the others took less than 25 minutes each... i"ve got a couple of 7GB plus movies to try so I'll get to see exactly how fast that is. :D

....gm

btw boozer I checked on my mobo and I may not be able to use that cooler, I think I have to use the standard HR-05 model. Good buy anyway buddy. I think it'll work on your setup tho....

here's another link for compatibility...

Is it the HR-05 SLI or HR-05 SLI/IFX ???

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I generally take Creaky's view on chipset coolers, unless they're overvolted as well then they shouldn't need aftermarket cooling. The P5N-E SLI was overvolted which perhaps suggests its early demise, but it running at 70+ all the time probably wasn't healthy either. (I checked, it still ran in the 70s at normal voltage).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.