1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i only got to do about 4 on the E8400 with dvd-reb. 3 of them were around 4.6-5.2gb and was bout 30 mins and 1 was 6.8gb and that took 56mins if i remember correct. but if haven a faulty MOBO had anything to do with it, my times might have been a little better, but i think that is about a normal time.

i checked UPS my mobo is only in illinois. i could have driven it there faster than they got it there.. says its on track for deleivery on 4/3/08

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ouch, that is a long time to wait for delivery. But then again I suppose you don't pay as much for delivery. While up to between 3-8pm depending on the store the day before allows us next working day delivery in the UK, we do typically have to pay £8-£12 for the privilege, £15-£20 if it's something heavy like a case. If we want it on a Saturday? That's £30-£40 no matter what it weighs. I bet you've never spent $75 on shipping from a computer store. I have!

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Ouch indeed. I always swear by free delivery, but at a push i'll pay a few quid on postage if it's an expensive delivery, but never more than a few quid. Ouch, that's gotta hurt!. Only recently i noticed some places do a Saturday delivery, but it's daylight robbery, charging you way more for when you're most likely to be at home. Annoys me immensely as i leave for work way before most other people (certainly way before postman/couriers), and am back home after most people, and no way am i paying loads more for some driver to wake me up on a Saturday :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Quite often deliveries get left with a neighbour, but quite often they get left at the depot for you to pick them up. That's never convenient.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heck guess i cant complain then...lol we get deliveries on saturday just as it was a weekday. i actually got a package delivered saturday and was fed ex and shipping was only $8.75.

personally i think UPS is way to big for their britches. trying to take on way more than they can truely handle.

i sent my CPU reg mail to loisville KY got there in about 20 hrs they sent it back ups took bout a day 1/2. newegg sends there stuff out UPS. there standard 3 day delivery allways takes 4 days..

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

GM, it looks just like the Regular HR-05 but just longer. I think I have enough space so it should fit fine.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I run everything through dvdremake 1st and remove everything I don't want (previews, adverts, splash screens, warning screens, etc.) then I do full backup with rb/cce 3 passes.

as for shipping, I ship everything USPS priority mail. cheaper than UPS and almost always gets there in 2 days.

8. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Newegg has always been good to me, 2-3 days from Tenn or the midwest area. No complaints from me. Surplus Computers, stay away from at all costs, they don't answer their E-mails about RMA problems.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Alright so my motherboard temps went down about 10 degrees celcius. I think I know why. This Armor case has dust filters in the front and i never bothered to clean them. So this is what they looked like AFTER I tried to clean them a bit. You may be able to see why I decided to throw them away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

lol , I shoot my case out with compressed air about every two months

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ZoSoIV,
    I used to have to do it once a month here, but since I got my case airflow the way I want it, I only have to do it every six months. Most of the dust that enters the computer is spit right out by the rear and side exhaust fans. It stays a lot cleaner and I made filter elements for the front intake that help too and are easy to clean!

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah, well I wish these were easy to clean... or even to GET TO.

Jeez, why did they have to make this so difficult. You pay freaking 170 dollars for something this half assed?

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yeah thats really BS man. the Lian Li i had you could pull the filters out a clean them with air or warm water

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Remember creaky complaining about a mini case being too small to cool his Socket A AMD! It's not the case! It's the MB! I just changed out an ECS socket A with a K7 series SIS chipset Asrock MB. I used the same CPU, Cooler and case fan and the difference is -7C! Just because the cpu sits closer to the memory and the air from the cooler goes into the rear fan! The CPU socket is so close to the rear on some motherboards the the cpu cooler's air misses the fan completely and throws the heat right back at itself! Idle temp is 43C vs the 50+C it was before! Ambient temp 25C!

I used this former eMachines piece of junk and made a decent computer out of it. It's easy when you start with a bare case! LOL!! That was all I salvaged! Everything else was fried! Cheap-ass $15 250 watt PSU! Can you imagine a machine with XP-Pro installed with 128MB of Ram? Advertised on the front of the computer, it says "128MB DDR for Optimal Performance!" When it was still working, I put 2 sticks of XMS for 1GB. The celeron 2.20GHz was still slow. Now there's an Athlon 1100+ at 1GHz, and it's way faster than the Celeron! The power supply flashed 12v across the 5v lines. like I said, I salvaged the case! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, I meant half assing the air filters.

As for the chipset cooler, I'm getting the Thermalright HR-05, and it seems like that's the best one to get. 10 bucks!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have a feeling that's exactly what my cheap-ass PSU did to my old PC as well, and also indeed what a faulty cable did to two of my hard drives once.

The dust filters on my NZXT cases aren't wonderful to get at, but they're not especially difficult, just a little time consuming. The one for the side fan was very easy, but since that's now an exhaust port I don't use it. The bottom fan isn't particularly difficult to remove either, it just takes time getting the fan to go back. The front fan requires you to remove the entire front plastic section, but since all that needs is a brisk tug on it, that too is relatively simple.
    That reminds me, I ought to clean them again soon...

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Greensman & Pepp can and to this also. our CM RC-690 only has 1 filter and thats on the front fan. in my house where i use heating oil i have to clean it about every other day. cant wait to be able to turn the heat off here..lol
    the front fan filter for me is easy to get to. the front of the case pops off and there it is.

you guys have had more expereince with this than me. so is there a way to add filters in front of your intake fans?i have 2 on the side panel without filters i would like to get some on. as the inside of the case does get a little dusty.well it dont right now...lol

edit to add:
    i found this at the EGG. looks pretty simple. is the houseing needed or can you add the filter to the current fans houseing?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999208

edit again
    found these at SVC much better selection than the egg
    http://www.svc.com/filters-120.html

18. herrick

herrick Regular member

abuzar1

I leave mine in hot water and dawn soap....then take a tooth brush to them, and last a shot of canned air-I have the same filters

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just remember with those filters you loose some air flow. ;) With the CM-690 or something like the Thermaltake Armour I don't see loosing much flow but if they are neglected (like boozer's were...hehehe) you will have some issues. :p

....gm

edit: my bad meant the Thermaltake Armour that boozer has. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.