1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can assure you from owning one, the mesh in the Antec 900 is NOT a dust filter.

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

oops was thinking one thing and wrote another. :p You back from the parentals now? I know it kills you young'uns when you have to spend time with the folks!! :p

....gm

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, not yet. I'm going back either Saturday or Sunday evening. Trouble is, when I'm back I get to spend a fortnight in the house alone, but on the upside I get my PC back, and now that Aria have received my RMA'ed graphics card, it shouldn't be too long before I get a replacement, and when I do, fun will occur... :)

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It could be the board, it was a barebones machine so the board came with the case (and i bought the PC purely for the dinky case).

(finally got new batteries for my camera, thought camera was faulty for at least a year, so now it's any excuse to use it)

Here's a full length pic of the little beauty (case really is small), i deliberately bought something this small as it when i lived on the river (ah, memories). The CPU is hidden partly behind the dvd drive.

[​IMG]

And a pic showing how cramped it really is

[​IMG]

As i say, little one uses this PC now so it's not really getting chance to overheat anymore, ie it's not struggling thru encoding in Rebuilder anymore (had to remove the case lid in the summer for that)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, removing the case lid during the summer, that takes me back...

6. creaky

Indeed. Now there'll be none of that nonsense here in Global Warming Central, not with the Antec 900 :)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well quite. I even used my Antec 900 to cool me. Chin over the 200mm fan on high is quite pleasant.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    What kind of temps were you getting to have to remove the case cover? I'm idling between 43 and 45C. It's only an 1100+ so I'm thinking of getting an Athlon XP 1800+ T-Bred to replace it with, since I can get one for $25.00 or a 2200+ Thorton core for 36.50. The place I get them has the 2400+ Barton core w/512MB L2 cache for

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd imagine it's load temps you want to be quoting, as he said he only had to do it when ripping DVDs.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

creaky,
    What kind of temps were you getting to have to remove the case cover? I'm idling between 43 and 45C. It's only an 1100+ so I'm thinking of getting an Athlon XP 1800+ T-Bred to replace it with, since I can get one for $25.00 or a 2200+ Thorton core for 36.50. The place I get them has the 2400+ Barton core w/512MB L2 cache for $54.25 or the Barton core 2500+ for $58.00. They even have the 3000+ and the 3200+! The 3000+ is $150 and the 3200+ is $270!

Interesting site!
    http://www.memorytek.com/index.php?cPath=38_93&osCsid=1f233ec4dbbbd0e0537bdc4f5fd0310b

They carry old Intel processors as well!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. creaky

yeah, when pushed, the CPU gets very hot. Can't remember what the temps would be, was always able to rely on the Fisher Price colours :)

ie ..

[​IMG]

Machine would always hit the Orange light, just before (but not actually lighting up) the 'End of the World is Nigh' Overheat button, on idle/light use it would stay on green.

That machine would take many hours in Rebuilder (for instance) so machine could be trusted not to go supernova or burn down the house, it was just unnerving having it all lit up for many hours at a time :)

When i lived on the river it ran a lot cooler, that'd be due to the base unit being permanently below the water line (about a foot under) - that's the only water cooling i've done hehe..

edit- just remembered, the extra fan isn't a Delta, the lack of noise should have reminded me of that. Plus the actual CPU fan on the Athlon is crap, i remember experimenting with a few fans when i first bought it, i put the crap one in because it was quiet, and machine never got too hot on the river; when i moved back on dry land i still didn't want more noise from the pc; it's noisy now with that extra fan but as it's only used sometimes i tolerate it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  12. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Its been awhile since my last post...
    The Civil Lawsuit by my neighbors...against me...starts tomorrow...Hopefully this whole ordeal will be over tomorrow...
    Either way...I get my new house...Which is all that I really care about...
    I've already beat my neighbors 3 times this year...May the 4th time...Be a Knock-Out..}:)

13. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

hey guys, im not having too much luck with my overclock....

ok so i go into my bios and my CPU clock ratio is already at 8X and i turn on my and i turn on my system memory multiplier to 2X as instructed. I turned up my CPU host Freq from 333 to 400 which is for 1600fsb but it changed my clock to 3.2 ghz and i was like hey thats nice so i left it. I did not know what to set my overvoltage controls to, so i set my memory to +.10 and my fsb overvoltage to +.25, no logic went into my choices, they just seemed right...i didnt mess with nothing else just did what you guys had instructed me to do so i saved settings and restarted....computer came on and shut off about 3 times before booting vista and i notice in easy tune that everything is back to pre-overclock settings...so i guess it didnt work...any help would be appreciated

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

SAY IT AINT SO...

LP531
    nice to see ya again. best of luck with the court adventures, and with the house.

15. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Thanks Cincy...
    Attorney fee's have already passed the $45,000 mark...and the Big Fees start tomorrow...
    I'd seriously pay 10 Grand to my neighbor if he would fight me in a Cage Match...
    I'd show his Ass what...Ground & Pound...Is All About..}:)

16. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

ok set my cpu host freq to 375 which brought it to 3.0ghz and put voltages and memory to auto...do any of you find it strange that i am overclocking my 3.0ghz cpu to 3.0ghz? doesnt make any sense to me...in my experience the only processors that didnt ever run at what they were rated stock were the amd's. but anyways i go into vista and i am semi-satisfied so i run OCCT to test stability for 30mins. vista locks up in about 1:30 i restart and get nothing but blue screens of death...now im back to defaults and am slightly discouraged...any help please?

17. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@Bladerz05
    It could be a problem with Vista and your Hardware...Software (easy tune)...or possible driver incompatibility...

Also easy tune is not the way to go for OCing in my opinion...Do it through the Bios...

Here is a link to Ocing with Easy Tune that mentions problems with it...and Vista...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237244-29-ocing-easy-tune

I hope that helps...

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LP531,
    Good to hear from you. Go kick some butt! We're all behind you, in spirit anyway! Don't let the bastards get you down my friend, kick some serious butt!

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

@LP

i was using the bios to overclock, i was just using easytune to keep an eye on things, i made no changes with easytune.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lp: That's absurd. Good to see you back, I'm amazed you can afford to keep up the legal battle!
    Bladerz05: Try using +0.3V for the memory voltage, or better yet try leaving all the voltages at auto. Also, your CPU multiplier needs to be 9x, not 8x if you're using an E8400 or E6850. If it's an E6750, then you're starting at 2.66hz, not 3Ghz and it'll be 8x.
    Don't even open easytune though, it's simpler if you don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.