1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I bought mine here best price I found and you can get a sythe s-flex 120mm SFF21F fan at a discounted price if you buy them togather. the fan was $13 and the same one at newegg less shipping is $25. you can find the diminsions of the hs there too.

abuzar beat me to it. at least we think alike.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

great guys thanks, I will add that to my list to pickup

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've been reading the review on the rampage formula. that mobo has so many new settings/adjustments that I'm gonna have to learn how to OC all over. mind boggling. going to take some relearning and I'm sure a lot of trial and error. WOW.

5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Court went great today...trial is over..:) My Attorney was Great..}:) He pretty much shredded them...
    The attorneys have 3 weeks to file written closing statements...then we receive the judges decision in writing...
    Might cost me a little Land...but minimal cash at worst...

@Sam
    My work is lucrative...

@Mort
    PM me on the Stacker...

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lp,

very good news indeed :):) I'll get with you tomorrow on the stacker fan config. thanks. past my bedtime and my eyes are droopy.

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Lp531, great news sounds like it will all be over soon!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Newegg don't sell Thermalright stuff, they just forgot to remove it from their website, it's been out of stock for years. You have to use a site like NCIX.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@mort81 & zoso

i just talked to intel about the xeon E3110 and the E8400.
    the tech said they are based on the same chipset but have some major differenece in them. the E3110 is a server CPU as the E8400 isnt. he said that the E3110 wont work with most desktop mobo.
    i told him i was looking at the ASUS Rampage Formula mobo. he said he isnt 100% sure if the E3110 will work with that board but he knows some ASUS board have workd with the Xeon CPU's, if you are wanting the ASUS board and the E3110 CPU. he recomends contacting ASUS and find out if the Xeon CPU's are compatable with it.

he then gave me a site to goto to check for CPU and MOBO compatability.

processormatch.intel.com
    EDIT to correct
    dont put the www in front of it. sorry

the only thing though, its only intel mobo it shows compatible with.

so before you buy the Xeon series CPU you might wanna contact ASUS about it

10. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

That is a bad site Rob, is the link correct?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

try removing the www. :)

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea as same said dont put the www infront of it. sorry.

i tried looking for a compatable CPU for the ASUS Rampage Formula and it dont show the mobo anywhere guess its to new

was just looking at ASUS web site. cant seem to find any specs on the Rampage Formula there either. but looking at the maximus formula(very simular) it dont support the Xeon CPU's

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1889&modelmenu=2

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

THAT site sucks. its only good if ya want a intel board..lol

well sorry AZZ UPS sent my mobo out for delivery yesterday. and they didnt deliver it.i called gigabyte and asked them about it. the lady just called me back and UPS told here they didnt see it on the truck when they was there so they didnt drop it off. but they found it when the truck got back to there yard??????

guess im gonna have to sneak over Morts house and get me a ASUS Rampage...lol

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

LMAO, you don't think an Intel rep would give you a link to a site other than an Intel one do you? :O

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

PIMPIN' normally is!!!! hehehe. :p

Nice to see you drop by fella!! Don't be a stranger and impart wisdom when you can.... ;)

....gm

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    Congrats! You just spoke to the "Village Idiot" at Intel (It's a small community, they take turns)! ROFL!!

What he told you is a lot of nonsense! They are virtually the same chip! Same cores, same L2 cache memory. The E3110 has one additional instruction set, I/OAT, which is basically for speeding up networking through Gigabit lans! It's an E8400 with I/OAT added! There are no major differences! Some even show as E8400s at the post!

The part numbers are identical (BX80570E3110 and BX80570E8400) with only the last 4 digits deignating 3110 or 8400, and the heat spreader says Xeon on the 3110! It's the same CPU, Rob! So says Tom's, Anandtech and virtually all the high tech forums on the net! So far the highest stable overclock on air I've heard of with an E3110 is 4.3GHz. No complaints from any of the gamers either! In fact I haven't come across any complaints with the E3110 being used in place of an E8400 anywhere. They'll also do 3.4-3.6 GHz at stock voltage, and run cooler than the E8400!

I think Intel sends their "Trainees" to the Dell Customer Service Training Institute in New Dehli! Visions of the "Emergency call to the Pentagon" in Transformers, keep flashing through my brain! LOL!! If you can imagine, they threatened my warranty because I was using a Freezer 7 Pro instead of the stock Intel cooler! Yeah Right! Total BS! That's exactly what I told him! I got my brand new D-940 3 days later! LOL!!

Just google E3110 vs E8400 and you'll find a ton of information about both chips, direct comparisons and just about anything else you might ever want to know about them! Forget whatever that guy from Intel told you, he's still trying to repair the flashlight he uses to find his a$$ with both hands! ROFLMAO!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Well I received the Q9450 today. I only have a small problem, no mobo to put it in yet! I'm thinking GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 with a
    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX to power it all.
    Back when I first started piecing this build together (Late November!!!) I bought the good 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 cas4 memory I thought I'd use when on sale. Now I'm thinking of saving or selling them and buying PC28500 Corsair Dominators while they are on sale. I waited soooooooo long to buy, I'm buying a better board than I had money for 3 months ago so I think I need better memory! Someone talk me into it or give me a better parts list quick so I can finish ordering and start the build next week!

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Rob,

your're a whole lot more concerned about the E3110 not working with my mobo than I am :) as Russ stated and from everything I've read the E3110 is the same cpu as the E8400, same pin configuration, and will work in any mobo compatable with the 45nm penryn wolfdale cpu's. I have also read of it hitting 4.3ghz stable on air and as you know I'm going to be using one of the best, if not the best cpu hsf combos out there.

no worries mate. worst case scenario, it won't be compatable in wich case I will return it and exchange it for an E8400. no biggie but I seriously doubt it will come to that. if anything, I might be happier with the E3110 as opposed to an E8400. lower voltage, less heat and supposedly great OC'er.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Deadrum33,

might as well go with a X48 chipset now. basically the same as the X38 but better binned.

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

DeadRum you can look at these and about take your pick!! link to MOBOS I'm not sure how much more the x38/x48 will get you but they do run cooler from what I've read. Sorry haven't tried one yet but would like to get some feedback from some fellas on here. ;) Morty...hint..hint...

The Corsairs are good and why not get them on sale while you can. ;) The DDR2 1066 will allow a little more OC plus they run faster right out of the box.. :D You might look at Mushkin too, I like them and the ones that I have now stay cool and run like a dream. :D

hth........

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.