1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the push Mort and thanks for the link greenie. The extra $100 from X38 to X48 really is a sticking point though. The X38 board I want costs a little more than I originally budgeted but I waited so long I figured I might as well make a step up from the P31/P35 market. Any thoughts against that logic? That is for the most part a step up from one to the other isnt it?

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hey just tring to help out some.i had to call intel anyway so i asked them about there own products thinking they would know better than i.
    guess there were 2 village idiots on the phone in that conversation...

from the start when i first posted about the E3110 i thought they were the same, but dindt know for sure thats why i pointed it out for someone else to look at..

3. Can2113

Can2113 Member

i need help quick!
    i just put together my new rig and i have having a problem. It a GA-P35-DS3L mobo with an XFX 8600gt. When i boot up i dont get any video signal. I am using the dvi->vga connector included in the video card box. I cant get to the bios or anything because i have no video!
    I took the ram out, unplugged the hdd's, and nothing shows up on screen. The light on my monitor doesnt even turn green. Everything turns on though. the cpu fan, case fan, and video card fan fire up just fine, so i know everything is getting power. What do i do!??!

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

sounds dumb but is your monitor pluged in??
    your monitor is bad.. you have another one to try it on?
    i had the same thing happen to me... no power light on the monitor. got a new monitor and all is well

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  5. Can2113

Can2113 Member

my monitor is not bad. I used it literally 20 minutes ago, then hooked it up to my new build to test out the new pc. The light turns orange, but not green. It even shows a No Signal box in the screen.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sounds like a problem with the video card, adaptor or cable worse case scenario, cpu. do you have a video card you can try with a vga port on the back. that way you can isolate the video card from the equation.

7. Can2113

Can2113 Member

no, i bought this card because the mobo doesnt have an agp slot and all of my cards are agp. So i picked up this 8600. Could it be the dvi-vga adapter? I have a dvi-hdmi adapter so i guess i could plug my pc into my tv. That way the signal is digital all t wa through. I was kinda confused abou how a sinple adapter changes the digital dvi signal to an analog vga signal anyway...

8. Can2113

Can2113 Member

dvi ->HDMI adapter is a fail.
    do i go about calling xfx now?

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

is the card snaped in the socket good. try wiggling it. do you have another cpu of the same socket to try? I had a brand new P4 3.4ghz cpu once that was defective and it did the same thing :( is the 4/8 pin power plug plugged in?

10. Can2113

Can2113 Member

this is the first pc i've built in agees, so i really dont have any hardware to swap out. I took the cpu out a minute ago to check it and it lookedfine. its got one of
    those retarded clamps that locks it into place, soi dont think it could be getting a bad connection. It an intel e6750, btw.
    I pulled the video card and popped it back in but it still gives me no video...
    what power connector are you refferring to? I plugged in all of the plaugs coming out of my psu into the mobo and hdd's. The only plugs left are one labled PCIE (but i hace no receptacle for it that i can find) and ahandful of hdd power cables.

sorry for the terrible typing. i hate laptop keyboards...

11. Can2113

Can2113 Member

i inspected my mobo again and noticed a tiny 4 pin plug hidden just north of the cpu. It has a plug with two square sections diagonal from each other, and 2 kinda rounded squares in the other two diagonal slots. My psu has an 8 pin plug that isnt labeled, but 4 of the slots in the plug are arranged the exact same way. Logic says it should get plugged in, but dont want to put the plug in with only half of the plug's slots filled and fire it up and fry my mobo.
    The plug near the cpu is labeld atx-12v. I cant believe i completely missed it, but i guess i wasnt expecting an 8pin plug to fit. Is it safe for me to fire it up with the 8-pin plug in the 4-pin receptacle?

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You need that for the CPU to work! Just pray you haven't fried anything.

You can probably split that 8pin in half. Just plug in the section that fits. Also if that doesn't work(it should) try reseting the CMOS.

13. Can2113

Can2113 Member

awesome dude. I feel like a complete idiot for missing that...
    Epic fail.

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

can you've got it. ;) Morty had it pegged....

Just make sure you get the orientation correct!!! Your mobo only has the 4 pin receptacle right?? And does the connector from the psu come apart?? some do.....

good luck....

....gm

15. Can2113

Can2113 Member

i got that problem fixed but now i have another (i forgot how much of a pain it is to build a pc)
    i am tring to load up Hiren's boot cd, but non of the programs will load a cd driver...
    Its an old ide pioneer dvr-105. My mobo is a gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l. I checked all around the bios and the only problem i see is that my hdd and dvd drive are master/slave in ide channel 4, but nothing is in 1,2, or 3. Could this cause issue?

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You don't need a CD driver. If both your HDD and DVD are IDE, then set the HDD to Master and the DVD to slave. That should probably solve your problem.

17. Can2113

Can2113 Member

nvm, sorry. lol
    the boot cd was tkaing forever, but it finally loaded it right. on my old mobo it took about 2 secinds, now it took almost a while minute. i assumed it froze, but now im in business. no more problems. i promise ;D

18. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I hope not! :p

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

cincyrob,
    That pair? They're are always fighting over whose turn it is! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

If you're not sure who the village idiot is just check in the mirror.... it might be you. lol. ;P

Got a question fellas!!

I'm looking at these RAM choices for an AMD X2 3800 rig with an ASUS A8N5X mobo. I have a friend that needs to upgrade their RAM (they only have 512 right now.... and I made them a deal if they go halvsies with me on this RAM I'd give them a matched pair of 512's with heatsinks....) We looked at some 1GB (2 x 512) and it's actually cheaper for them to go this route and it gets me some better RAM and if I want to I can leave one of the 512 pairs in there to give me 3GB of RAM for whatever reason. lol. Sorry it's late and I'm rambling...

tia for your advice... :)

....gm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.