1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

time will tell as I will be the only kid on the block with a X48 chipset (which is just a better binned X38) and an E3110 (E8400) cpu.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

aye there are 2, foxconn and quidimo (sp)

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK now you've gone and done it!!! You better show off that beauty when you get it mister!! :p I'm VERY curious as to how the X48 chipset does plays with all the other goodies you're getting. I know the newer chipsets from Intel are supposed to run cooler plus some more speed... NO?? Get moving man!!!!!!!! WE wants to see this thing in action... oh wait a minute.... you're waiting on it to get there.... where do you live again?? and what's the addy?? hehehe... :p

ROBERT!!!!!!!!! Are you mad?? You haven't even finished this thing yet and your on another build already. :p I think most of what you picked is ok but Mort and boozer (i think) brought up some good ideas plus the fact that NO ONE knows what's gonna be available in 6 months... Well for what price that is... I'd seriously look at getting the X38 or X48 chipset..... I'll tell you this, my picks (atm) are DFI or ASUS!! Upper end mobos of course.... I'm pleased with this Striker Extreme but haven't been able to really PLAY with it yet. I've gotta get a frikkin gpu!!!

Lp might yell at me but I'm sold on MODULAR cabling for the psu. Of course there are only a few to look at imho but modular it is for me until someone shows me SERIOUS proof that it's a bad idea.... When 2 of the better known companies are cranking them out then that says something. :p

btw hold on to your hat with the ODD's... I'm betting a little $, £, or whatever your favorite currency is that 2 or more of the DVDRW manufacturers are coming out with something new we can't refuse in the near future. I heard something a while back about an A6 model from Lite-On, if we see it they only know. :p (I've personally used these models: 3S, 6S, A1P, A1S, A4P, A3P and they all work pretty well.....)

I know why you like the case but consider Aluminum like Morty said. NOTHING against NZXT but their AL models are just as good if not better.... Again finally got an AL case and they ROCK as Russ would say... lol

btw you guys (across the pond) are way to serious about your gpus... lol. ;P

.....gm

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

lool pinksman xD :p

i like being serious sometimes.

i like arguing with sam =D

intel have said there will be no more 775 chips after the penryn, next year will be all about he LGA1336 IICR nehelams (sp). they will bring DDR3 to the masses by Q2 2009 (and is should be cheaper then).

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thats a understatement..but i think it has more to do with gameing though...lol

i just cant get away from that RED color

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not that so much, moreso that we're, no offense intended, younger than you guys and as such are more into gaming than just video encoding and editing. IMO you lot are too serious about your CPUs...

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Arguing with sammyboy is quite fun, ain't it??? hehehe. :p

"pinksman" NOW that just isn't nice, I can't even say your name and you're making fun of mine. :p ...snicker... snicker....

OMGosh... NO more 775 chips??? I can't believe in 1 year they will be touting a NEW cpu and almost forcing DDR3 on us!!! I'm liking the prices of DDR2, and good stuff too NOT some NO name crap... ;)

....gm

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

OK the younger bit was NOT necessary, we all know we're getting older but you don't have to remind us. :p

I'm not sure we're that serious about the CPU aspect just DANG SILLY about it. lol. :p

btw ROBERT you need to look at the ZERO, Apollo, and Alpha series.... I like the Zero but you need to get some red fans!! lol. :p

...gm

9. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey all
    I need some advice and figured this would be the place - so much knowlegde here on building pc's.
    I'm rebuilding one of my pc's - well I say rebuilding now but it may just turn into total rebuild - time will tell :)

I'm looking to do a higher end build this time. The oldest pc I have was built for gaming while the other custom one thats newer was built towards video stuff.

So for this build I'm thinking of combining the 2 - video, gaming and then for future use video streaming to a PS3.

I'm starting off buying components here and there but should have all bought say within the next 3 months. So far I've started w/ Seagate Barracuda HD - 500 gig (sata). Then got busy and put my little project on hold.
    My outline so far is - PSU and sound card then I'll do cpu (thinking quad core), ram (4 gig) and mobo.

So for psu and sound card - what would you all recommend? Sound cards I'm pretty clueless on, for PSU I'm thinking 700 watt.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How much are you thinking of spending?
    As a general rule, I'd say a 700W PSU is a bit over the top unless you're using two powerful video cards. Typically I recommend the Corsair HX 520W or VX 450W depending on the expected power consumption.

11. spaul40

spaul40 Member

<snip> OMGosh... NO more 775 chips??? I can't believe in 1 year they will be touting a NEW cpu . . . . <snip>

Since the Nehalem does not use a FSB, I guess it points to reason that there will be a new CPU socket and a new Northbridge. That should make the X45 one of the shortest duration chipset's in Intel's recent past.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    Never mention my name in the same sentence as AL! LOL!! I've owned two aluminum cases and I won't be buying any more. Steel cases seem a lot quieter and don't ding as easy. I don't lug it around anywhere, so the weight is a moot point! Mine just sits quietly on my desk 24/7, and is rarely moved. I just got done swapping out an 80mm Silverstone I had installed for a Thermaltake in a customer's aluminum case because it made too much racket, even at minimum speed. Since the same fan makes almost no noise mounted on my side cover, I have to blame the aluminum! I also have an Asus aluminum frame case, with steel covers that buzzes annoyingly with the same fans I use everyday in mine. What makes me laugh about it the most is that the covers weigh a ton! One cover alone weighs more than the bare case without the covers!

I'm very happy with the steel case I have now, and it's very quiet with no vibrations or odd rattles!

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. spaul40

spaul40 Member

For about $25 more, the 9600GT will rock your unit a whole lot more than the 7600GT. GREAT price on the Q6600. How did you find that one? The best price on pricegrabber is $243. The G.Skill memory is really good stuff. The 5-5-5-15 timing at DDR2-1066 is fabulous and you can't go wrong with any Corsair product. Rob, I gotta hear how this baby cranks when you get it built and tweaked.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

15. binkie7

@sammorris
    For the psu well I'm thinking around 100'ish.
    I plan on getting another 500 gig hd + the pc will have 3 or 4 optical drives and a video card w/ 512mb ram.

16. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

MicroCenter has had great deals and service lately, its where I got my Q9450 from while most other places werent even selling it, or in limited quantities if they did.
    Speaking of the Q9450, I went and ordered the last components for my long awaited build.
    RAM- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043
    Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128089
    PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
    already have these...
    3x HDD- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052
    2x ODD- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106070
    Card Reader/Floppy- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821104104
    Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021
    With cooler master hyperTX2 CPU cooler and also an EVGA 8800GT for video.
    I will build next week, just happen to be on a weeks vacation...
    Did I miss anything? :)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice list! :)

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

A-ha, i spy another possible Quad Core owner on the horizon, eh Binkie. You can never have enough 500GB drives i say, and it's rude to not have a few opticals too :)

19. binkie7

lol - I couldn't agree more Creaky :) I have 3 in one pc and 2 in the other 2. Then there's the burners in the laptops - though they are crap imho :)
    But for the new build may just go all sata.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I have the sexy Corsair HX 620W myself, very stable and able.
    As to drives, i've finally stopped adding to my systems for now, the Quad machine has 10 500GB's and 6 dvd burners (3 of them are my prized Benq DW1650's), just about enough storage/burners for my needs. there's another 2 dvd burners (the other two DW1650's) and a dvd-rom but i don't use those enough so they're attached to one of my Core 2 Duo's, though i don't burn on there so those optical drives are just spare now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.