1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

NO need to go all SATA binks... ;) You'll have at least 1 (one) IDE connection on the mobo you choose so get 2 IDE ODD's and 2 SATA ODD's just to round things out. :) Plus if you go all SATA ODD's that leaves less room for HDD's. You gotta have at least 3 HDD's for your setup. ;) ONE for OS and the other 2 for STORAGE..... :D Just thought I would help spend YO CASH!!! :p good luck btw....

.....gm

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I did the same thing myself. This might seem obvious, but you wouldnt believe how easy it is to find a PSU for a new computer and overlook the fact it doesnt have enough SATA power cords. I almost ordered one, but rechecked everything on my wish list and avoided ordering splitter cables later.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Yeah my board has 1 IDE which has a dvd burner attached; 5 SATA internal ports so there's 5 hard drives attached there, a cheapy sata card gives 2 more ports so the 2 sata burners are hanging off that (LG GSA-H66N's), the 3 Benq's are in Belkin USB2.0 enclosures (some of you will remember that i've sworn by the Belkin's for years now); 3 of them are on the Quad, 3 on the Core 2 Duo machine, i'm always looking on eBay for cheap deals on the Belkins but they tend to be expensive when they (rarely) turn up

4. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Her ya go binkie7:

640GB HDD

I am a SeaGate man myself, but the price is decent. It was $119 two days ago...

I have an 80GB (for OS), 250GB, 400GB, and a 500GB in my latest build (all SeaGate, of course).

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Deadrum33
    Good point on the psu & sata connections. I might have missed that one.

@teflonmyk
    Yeah I'm a Seagate gal myself - though I must say the western digital hdd have served me well.

@creaky
    With the price of burners that past couple of years being so cheap I just bought to buy 'em :)

6. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I just finished a couple of classes at U of P online (of which my job reimburses 100%), and I just got my GI Bill check for $1075 per month for full-time attendance. So, I have $2300 to "burn." I was thinking on getting 4 more 500GB drives for my new build to replace the 250GB and 400GB and fill the other two empty SATA ports. I can stick the 250GB and 400GB in my first build. Just trying to wait for the 500GB to hit $99 again...

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

8. creaky

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB are £57 now, and the WD5000AAKB are £63 (both 16MB cache), very tempting, very tempting indeed..

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

Are you BLOODY serious?? You've got 5+ TB right now you greedy little bugger. Send a few of those my way creaks!! /me needs some more storage... :)

...gm

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

thw Queitest drives are the spinpoints from samsung, and bar the raptor the F1 from samsung are the fastest.....so i recomend MAXTOR xD

and sam
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1070

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  11. creaky

i'm just very organised, and i keep a fair bit of data around. Very tempting though, wouldn't mind a few more WD5000AAKB's, don't actually need any yet though, it's just that the prices are hard to ignore

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shaff: Samsung hard drives have very low idle noise and their seek noise is low as well, but they are very prone to vibration. In isolated chassis such as the Antec 900 that won't be quite so bad, but in typical PC cases, Samsung drives are noisier than most due to this. Of course, they're still not noisier than Maxtors, but the best balance of quiet in your average PC is in fact the WD5000AAKS, unless you go with the WD GreenPower, which are the quietest drives of all.

I think what that refers to is that they design their own individual products, in the same way that Gecube made the infamous X1950XT AGP. All the resellers still manufacture the PCBs and assemble the cards but Palit and Foxconn have made variations on the theme that they've drawn up themselves.

13. binkie7

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

binkie7,
    Good price with the MIR! Excellent PSU!

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey guys so I was wondering. What would be the best setup to Max out Crysis? 2 Nvidia cards in SLI? Or does Crossfire work better now? What if Money doesn't matter so I can go all out. What would I buy then?

16. binkie7

@Russ
    Thanks! I'm such a noob compared to you guys about this stuff :)

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi Karen,

I highly recommend this psu I have 2 of them. they are seriously underrated wattage wise since they rate them at 105C as opposed to 85C as with most other manufactures. it is modular and has 8 SATA power connectors (vs 4 with the 520HX). they're very quiet and have a five year warranty. here's the data/spec sheet from corsair in case you're interested. good to see you here.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

agreed with mort 100%.

and sam, when i get a proper link ill show you if not, i wont take defeat untill i take someone with me xD MUHAHAHA

19. binkie7

Cool - thanks Marty!
    I'll be lurking around this thread - I have tons to catch up on.

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Alright guys so I installed my Thermalright HR-05 SLI and my temps have definitely gone down. Before my NB temps were around 48 and now they cover around 38-40. Also my CPU temps have gone down about 4 degrees.

If one of you wants to get a NB heatsink then this is an excellent choice, BUT DO NOT GET THE SLI VERSION if you have my kind of board(GA-P35-DS3R). It sits too close to the video card and I think it's getting up heat from it.

The AS5 hasn't cured yet so I expect the temps to go down. I'll be buying a fan for it soon too. For 13 bucks it was a great deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.