1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

herrick, also an after market cooler for that videocard will help bunches

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

Even if you don't install any chipset fans, I highly recommend reseating the chipset heatsinks with some artic silver 5. The oem thermal compound under the heatsinks is crap. I'm not familiar with that mobo but if it has the gold colored covers over the heatsinks (like the P5W DH Deluxe), take them off to let the heatsinks breath. You can most likely install some chipset fans later w/o pulling the mobo as long as there is nothing over the heatsinks.

Edit: just looked up your mobo and it looks to have covers over the chipset heatsinks. I would take them off and pitch em. But that's your call. They're only held on with glue. Like I said earlier, these mods cooled my mobo down about 15 degrees C. 46C before. 31C now.

BTW these are the chipset fans I went with http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=123&products_id=619 I tried a couple different 40x40x10mm fans 1st but they were junk. These are much better and move twice the air.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  3. herrick

herrick Regular member

@Mort81

Will do... I have some artic silver 5 and some cleaner/stripper from the same company. I will do as you suggested- hopfully things will work out. again thanks for the input and link.

@ aabbccdd

I do not have the 7900 as of yet... I run two 6600s...Im not ging to get a new vid card in till is issue is resolved. when you speak of vid. fans are you speaking of the one that fit in through the back slots?

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

no they actually mount on the videocard its self. it will def. help your temps

5. herrick

herrick Regular member

so you can remove the stock fans to a Vid. card- and replace it with a better one?

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

CORRECT!!

thats what i did with my GTX-7800 when i had it and it helped my mobo temps 10 to 15 degrees

I AM ALMOST POSITIVE THATS YOUR MAIN PROBLEM

being i have the same mobo and corrected it with an aftermarket videocard cooler

the NVIDIA cards run HOT!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  7. herrick

herrick Regular member

what do you suggest... do I have to get a certain fan per card? or is it the same per mfg? where did you get yours?

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i got mine from newegg

yeah same fan for both cards

but since you have two in SLI am not sure it would work being it would be to tight. you will have to asked someone other than me about that

9. herrick

herrick Regular member

OK thanks... I am grateful for all the help as always...

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

11. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    Here is another option...passive...
    It gives you the option to add a 70mm fan...for max cooling...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...rthbridge_Chipset_Heatsink.html?tl=g40c16s227

@greensman
    Excellent choices...

@sarthak14
    What are you looking for in a case?..Black...Aluminum...Painted...Door...No Door...
    What are the temperature ranges for where you live?..Looks like they might be higher then in the USA...
    Are you for...or...against Water cooling?..
    Have you ever assembled a computer before?..

You are going to be generating a lot of heat with all these components...Your choice of cases will be very important...

What is your new budget?..you mentioned unlimited...

You might want to limit me...trust me on that one...
    I know where some real expensive components can be found...

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

13. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

Arctic Silver 5 (best on the market!!)

what is this Greensman

And where do i put it

never used it any of my systems

and when is this to be applied ?

14. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    Looks like it will not fit...stock cooler should be sufficient with proper air flow over heat pipe fins...have you applied arctic silver to chip...Looks like you are taking steps to improve air flow...

@sarthak14
    "Arctic Silver 5" is thermal paste that you apply between chips and coolers...

15. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@herrick

though chipset cooling is beneficial you should work on making sure your airflow throughout your case is not the culprit first. From several sites and an intel warranty booklet, it says that the ambient temperature within your case should be in the mid to upper 30C's in order to cool the CPU properly (mid to upper 40C's). If you don't want to remove the stock heatsink on the chipsets, you can always try adding a small fan to the existing heatsink first. Artic Silver 5 is good stuff and will do you wonders, but in one of the other forums, I believe it was in the OC'ing one, many have had problems of it drying out in the long run, versus using the white thermal goop. A thin layer of the white stuff is actually very good...but you just need to make sure it is a thin layer. Also, having the smoothest surface possible on the heatsink is also critical so that there are no hot "air" spots for heat to build up. to do this many start with a coarse sand paper (about two steps down from the ultra fine stuff) working up /down to the ultra fine one...some went as far as buffing and polishing to get a mirror finish. These are just some tricks that I remember when I use to OC the good ole AMD K6 CPU's.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  16. greensman

greensman Regular member

@6spdSER,
    It's funny that you mention "sanding and polishing" the cpu heatsink. LOL. I didn't polish my heatsink when I put my puter back together but I did sand it with some very fine sandpaper. hehehe. 400 grit if I remember right was the last grit that I used and the surface of the heatsink was like a baby's bottom as they say. LOL.

~I thought that the surface was to rough with the original milling process so I decided a little modification was in order. Mwuaaahahahaha.

Anyway I'm glad to see I wasn't doin anything out of the ordinary. :)

.....gm

@ALL,
    I KNOW that the puter for sarthak14 isn't at it's completion! Mainly because Lp531 is still asking questions. I'm truly interested/excited about this. And btw you better limit him because he'll spend some money in a hurry. I thought that $2300 was high just for a box. hehehe. j/k Lp531. ;-)

edit: lol......just to clear things up I meant $2300 for tower and all contents. ;-)

17. sarthak14

sarthak14 Member

LP531

Case can Be any colour will prefer black or aluminium and nt concerned with the door thingy.

i think they reange between 30 - 40 but the rooms cooled so avg 25.
    what r urs in california??

Def against water cooling, jus dnt understnd it, bt thats jus my view luks kool though

da las comp i put 2gether was roughly 3 - 4 years bak, so i knw da basics plus my bro will help. bt puttin stuff like Arctic Silver 5{too confusing} and internal media cards and stuff{kinda tricky}.

When i said unlimited i meant get me da best parts as in nt like a 2300$ case dnt c da point in it. okay ill give u a point by pont list of what i am lukin for.

1}A Case with atleast 6 X 3.5" Slots internal
    2 x 3.5" external
    3 x 5.25 " External
    atleast 7 x PCI Slots the ones in da bak
    2}things i want to put in it
    MOtherboard - Core 2 Duo{think thats da lates} that supports 4 GIGs of ram atleast meaning 4 ram slots.
    Processor - Dnno U temme
    Graphics Card - Nvidia 8800 GTX or GTS and Then maybe Running them in SLI in the Future.{if put SLI in the future hw much more power will i need, Like change the PSU}
    Ram - 2 x 1 GB of ram then upgrade later to a 4 x 1 or 2 x 2.When i expand later will i need more power}
    An Ethernet Card
    A sound Card Supportin 5.1 dnt wantt anythin more.[pref Creative}
    A USB Extender saw one on newegg gives u 4 more ports and one internal{dnno wat that is for please xplain}
    A Dvd Writer
    A Cd-RW + DVD Combo for DVD to DVD Copying
    A Internal MEDIA Card Reader saw one at newegg
    WIFI inbuilt {bt dnno wat card u need{xplain this again PLs}
    PSU - Dnno hw much power il rewuire
    HDD - 1 x 160 Raptor or Raptor X dnno da diff fr da OS. 4 X 500 0r 750 GB.Then add another one LAter and again when i add afterwards hw much power will i need }

i think thats bout it, if i frgt anythin u can add dat.
    And Again by unlimited i meant good quality and normal prices.
    Ill be using it for atleast 4 - 5 years.{be upgrading the ram and stuff in da middle}. MAinly for FPS's And RPG's.

I luked at this case the other day in the market. lukes gud bt dnt knw its specification. THE AlTEC SUper LAnboy.
    OH btw i will need a Full tower Rite.
    http://www.stablenle.com/NLEPROD-35503.html

And Ya sorry if i wrote anything dumb or stupid. Kinda hard to concentrate hav 2 MAJOR exams in the next 10 days. After that i will luk fr stuff myself also on newegg and other sites and then ask u if its gud.

Thanks again Fr HElPING and BUILDING my Computer. If iav forgotten anything in tghe above list jus temme and ill tell u.
    THANKS Again LP531

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

herrick,

You shouldn't have to buy the hsf combination or any other heatsinks for that matter. I don't recommend replacing your existing heatsinks since they are all tied togather with the thermal tubes. Just measure your existing heatsinks and find a fan that is the same size. Make sure you get a 3 wire fan if you want to monitor fan speed. Your mobo does have some 3 pin fan/aux headers on it doesn't it. That link I provided does have other size chipset fans besides 40x40x20mm.

Reseating your heatsinks with some artic silver 5 alone will do wonders I'll bet. The crap thermal compound they use is just that, CRAP. Of the mobo's I've done these mods to only a portion of the heatsink was actually contacting the thermal compound or the chipset. Every mobo I install from now on will get the chipset heatsinks reseated with some artic silver 5 prior to installation. FYI, kivory666 and BigDK do this mod too.

19. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@herrick
    Every thing Mort81 & 6spdSER & Greensman has told you is good advice...mount a fan on the fins of the stock heatpipe...or mount a internal 80mm case fan to blow on fins...or big fan on door...that blows on motherboard...Also lap the bottom of the heatpipe if it is not mirror smooth...

Arctic Silver needs to be replaced every so often...I try to reapply every 6 months...but no longer then 1 year...I usually do it at every case cleaning...

Do you have proper air pressure in case...more exhaust then intake...computers can run hotter if you have more intake then exhaust...You are creating positive air pressure inside case...

AIR PRESSURE 101

"Positive Air Pressure" is when you have more total CFMs (adding air pressure) pushing air into the case...
    "Negative Air Pressure" is when you have more total CFMs (decreasing air pressure) pushing air out of the case...
    "Neutral Air Pressure" is when you have the same amount of a air (both fans are adding and removing air pressure) going in and out of the case...

I like to achieve a little negative air pressure...I feel this helps to eliminate "hot spots"...where air circulation is not very good...
    I feel positive & neutral air pressure increases the potential...for creating hot spots...within the case

You can calculate by...adding the total CFM rating of the fans...going in...and out of your case
    If your exhaust number is higher then your intake...You have Negative Air pressure...
    If your intake number is higher then your exhaust...You have Positive Air pressure...

@sarthak14
    The reason I asked about a door is...it looks like you will be accessing your drives alot...
    I found that I ended up with my door always proped open when I had a door on my multimedia machine...
    I now always make sure that my burning PC does not have a door...Much more convenient...

7 pci slots?..Why?..
    You will not find a SLI board with 7 additional PCI slots...usually the SLI boards will have 1 to 3 additional slots...I usually prefer to have at least 2 slots...1 for Sound Card...1 extra...for future proofing...

You do not need An Ethernet Card...Any Board I will choose will have it on board

WiFi...is a wireless connection...I am assuming that your computer will hookup to internet through the Ethernet Connection...Not through WiFi...

So I can assume $2,300 with "A little bit of Wiggle Room" is Ok?..

20. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

@ sarthak- for built in wifi, you're looking for a pci wireless adapter like this one: link
    you could get one cheaper, but this one can go up to 108mbps and is made by a reputable company.

and why don't you get 4x500gb because you might be able to save some $$$ that way and you stil get 2tb of storage (unless you plan on storing something like ps3 iso's for the future, i think that should be enough)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.