1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well with my p5n-e being DOA, and £30 in my pocket, i can pick up a P35-DS3L for £30..... is it worth it?

can find many reviews, and does anyone have any personal experiance.

hopefully it can clock the E2140 to atleast 2.8 on freezer pro 7?

also i have seen the board, the cooling for the NB seems naf, and there is no cooling for the VRM / mofsets, so how would i go around cooling them, or would getting a cooler to blow towards the board do enough to cool them?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P35-DS3L is a decent board. There isn't much cooling to be had on the P35-DS3R but I never had any problems with my 75% overclock and low speed case fans. With the P5N-E SLI I did.

3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Damn that is big the CM690 is only 20" Deep x 8.5" Wide x 19" High and thats quite substantial, but Id guess much heavier than the stacker. Its hard to tell from the pictures youve posted what is the actual colour scheme of it - silver and black?

The orange and black one would be the one Id have to get.

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Now that's funny right there. :D

Morty that build is looking quite sharp my friend!! I like the case personally and also the ability to add at least 6 ODD's. lol. I have an ODD fetish!!! :p

....gm

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it could be worse...

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Shaf, I recently bought a GA-P35-DS3L. I sold the computer the day after so I only played with it for one day. Anyway I got a E2160 stable to 3.2Ghz on that thing on stock cooling. The core temps were around 33 IDLE and high 50's on Prime 95. This is on the crappy stock cooler which is NOTHING compared to the core 2 duo stock cooler.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Pepp,

this is the case I have. it is definately a full tower.

the stackers don't come in orange n black unless you spend $1,000+ for a limited edition custom painted one. are you talking about a black w/ front orange led CM mystique. one of my buddies has one of those but I don't like it as much as my mystique only because the power and hdd leds are still blue insead of orange to match the front.

this is my other case (the one I'm using right now). as you can tell, I like the silver (actually brushed aluminum) and black scheme. all black shows too many finger prints and dust/dirt imo.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Pepp the Stacker 830 that MOrty has is NICE. I've seen one first hand and I drooled all over it. lol. The front door isn't a pain and it's very easy to remove. ;)

You're right the CM-690 is HEAVY compared to the Stacker!! ;)

...gm

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

now if that isnt the understatement of the year there isnt one,,,LMAO

ok im gonna get lashed about this. but ive recomended my cousin to build his own rig, but a AMD build. any suggestions on mobo and cpu..i know the phenom would be the choice.... he has roughly $500 he can spend. thats why i said amd for parts... any help, cause i know nothing about AMD

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    Considering it's the same basic MB as the DS3R, minus the Ferrite cores and 4 Sata ports. It's GigaByte's mainstream MB with almost 1000 reviews on Newegg! I was going to go with one before I got the good deal for the DS3R from GigaByte, $50 and my old 965P-DS3. The very earliest ones didn't have the solid capacitors, but all of these do. It's a very highly rated motherboard, and very popular!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

/me slaps the silliness out of my friend Robert!!!

OK now that we have that out of the way!! What does Mr. Cincyrob's cousin want to do with said computer?? You know we can build an Intel C2D for around $500!! And are you building just the tower and nothing else??

....gm

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Russ, I know I had one. That motherboard overclocks like crazy considering it wan only 90 bucks!

Rob, ARE YOU CRAZY?! AMD is a big no no. The cheapest Phenom is 200 dollars! How are you going to build a budget rig with a CPU that costs so much! In fact you could probably just get a Q6600 for 30 bucks more. Clock for clock the Q6600 beats it big time, AND the Q6600 is clocked HIGHER at stock and can overclock WAY more. You can't lose with it.

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

first of all let me say. he wants it for some minor gameing, then he is just getting into burning movie's,music,and photo editing.

the main reason i told him he should think of amd is cause of how cheap the mobo's and cpu's are..yes i know the phenoms are around 200-250 buck's and i can get a Q6600 for $199 at microcenter. but i was thinking of the mobo. a good amd mobo is now where near as costly as a good INTEL mobo. just looking at the egg heck some of the better/best amd mobos are still cheaper than my intel gigabyte board

you know thinking of it, its not such a good idea for the AMD..even if the mobo's are cheaper. i can still find the intel stuff to run circles around the amd's

i think i even seen at tigerdirect a barebones kit.tower/mom/cpu/mem for like $290 think it was the E2150??? might give that a look again..

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

What AMD motherboards are you talking about?

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

cincyrob,
    Here's something to look at for your "cousin's" build!!

case @$55

cpu $180

gpu $75

mobo @$100

RAM $30-$50

HDD $65-$80

psu
    $70

Take into consideration that I'm trying to stay within the budget which isn't gonna happen, but I tried. I didn't choose any ODD's because most people have older ones to transfer. :)

This is a basic computer tower with all the innards. :) I gave you choices in case in the next few days they are out of stock or to just choose which component best fits your (his) needs. :D

I think the total comes to a little less than $600 for a pretty good build. ;) Give it a look and see what your calculator comes up with. :D Of course you can always get a cheaper cpu and gpu and get the dollar figure pretty danged close to $500.....

good luck with that!!!

.....gm

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, I got the Acer Laptop up and running! I ordered the recovery disks yesterday and they came today! I have to say, for a laptop, Vista Home Premium works very well. The CrystalBrite screen is magnificent! 1280x800 15.4 Widescreen. I just watched the "Mega Race" scene from Spykids 3 2D and the 3D effects and colors are unbelievable!

The wireless works perfect! I deleted Norton's BS (that had expired anyway) and installed AVG. I also installed Power DVD 7 for playing DVDs. Much better than Window's Media Player! I have to say that I like the way Vista does some things, and I don't like the way it does others! I accidentally deleted the Recycle Bin, but I just kept my cool and Googled the problem, and just followed the answer. Some of the files have strange names and even stranger icons, but it's similar to XP. Far too many icons in the control panel! It's downright crowded in there! LOL!!

Now if someone can point me in the direction of the "For Sale" Threads at AD, This puppy is available! Very nice E2250 1.73GHz Dual Core with Vista Home Premium! I'll post all the details in the for sale thread!

EDIT: It seems that the for sale thread is no longer open so anyone interested in a higher end Acer Aspire media center laptop, send me a PM

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

20. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Sorry to disappoint but Coolermaster released a selection of very well priced stackers (they worked out to be about £80 or $160).

Basically they were all like this :- http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135094 but with different colour schemes including orange and green.

Infact heres the orange one (now out of stock) :- http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140068 and would be the one I would have to get if I got one. Theres a good pic about 4 posts down on here as well:- http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=18046

Dont ask why they were/are cheaper than the standard 830s I couldnt tell ya but they sold out very quickly.

Edit - also just found this showing a size comparison to a standard Matx case I believe. Its quite funny :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.