1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then you'd probably best not tell me what ever 'it' means, as I don't wish to die... not yet.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    IITYWIMIWHTKY = If I tell you what it means, I will have to kill you! LOL!!

Best,
    Russ

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I know, hence my response above!

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

no i had the cpu on right. fell right into place when i first put it in... just dont make since to me though. if the CPU socket was damaged why did it work the first 2 1/2 weeks i had it??????
    maybe thats why when i ran sandra on it it kept saying failure do to hardware error?????

on a different item.. my stupid azz cousin bought a DELL.. paid $740 for it,, he listend to his dumb azz brother(my other stupid ass cousin). since he is taken computer classes he knows best....

a C2D E2110 i think it is. DELL??? live and learn i guess... hell i was even gonna save him some money and give him my coolermaster PSU...lol ;) guess i'll keep on useing it...

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

OH Mort hows it coming? lol

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

just waiting on another 4 in 3 device module and some 120mm antec tricools. I might go ahead and fire it up in the meantime. lots I could be doing while waiting on parts (load XP Pro and all my programs and software).

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Atta boy!!! Let the kid in you out! :D I don't see how you've waited this long Morty.... I would have had it running with just the RAM, mobo, and cpu drooling to see what it would do. hehehe. j/k.... NOT possible but I love this STUFF!!!! :D

again... good luck to you....

.....gm

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

OK, heres a few links to give an idea of the mancave where I'm now sat.
    I will need a small electric heater or similar during the cold winter months but in the hot humid summer this area is perfect.

Basement area before construction
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/maniacdrums/afterdawn_hosted_files/PICT0013.jpg
    The bench rests on the smooth shelf you see coming from the rocky wall , about 3 feet (thats a meter for you Sam LOL) off the floor.
    After on the left side
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/maniacdrums/afterdawn_hosted_files/PICT0071.jpg
    After on the right side
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/maniacdrums/afterdawn_hosted_files/PICT0070.jpg
    Notice the power outlets on both sides of the bench, EACH has it own 20Amp connection to the main, not just one breaker split in two.
    Filled with toys
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/maniacdrums/afterdawn_hosted_files/PICT0093.jpg
    Finished build with full Armor tower
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/maniacdrums/afterdawn_hosted_files/PICT0095.jpg
    Picture of how dirty my first clients machine was before I fixed it
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/maniacdrums/afterdawn_hosted_files/dirty.jpg

Now, for benching my new machine...
    I havent had time to research this problem (my bands doing a show tonight) only had this build up for a little over a day now. I've read somewhere before about having problems with Startup settings and flaky BIOS controls on some Gigabyte boards and I may be experiencing them. It could be my complete lack of familiarity with this new setup having bit my teeth on a few Asus boards. Anyway anytime I've made any change in settings it doesnt "stick". I havent even done anything major, just enough to try and get my settings to be at normal speeds. These may help explain...
    Note speed and multi here, [​IMG]
    It is showing 8x multi at stock 2.66 speed in BIOS

Heres the mobo showing newest BIOS revision
    [​IMG]

And my Memory is PC2-8500 C5 Corsair Dominator, probably shouldnt run like these speeds..[​IMG]

Any links to help or words of wisdom on the performance issues are appreciated.

9. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

The first picture is due to speed stepping - and under load the multi will go back to 8x. This is the CPU EIST Function option in the BIOS I believe and is set to enabled as default.

As for the RAM you'll need to set the timings manually to get the "rated" timings - this is described on page 53 of your manual. You need to set the DRAM timing Selectable to manual and then also change all of the individual timings for the next four settings below this option. You may also need to adjust up the voltage to accomplish these timings.

Dont forget to save and exit and not just exit ;)

If its not saving after that it could be a dodgy battery.

10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Mort, with Thermalright Ultra-120 am i going to need more fans than the Antec 900 has stock?

or

sammorris how does your freind has his step up with the Thermalright Ultra-120 and his Antec 900?

nice build/pics there Deadrum33 hope you get youe setting ok

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks Pepp and ZOSO, I remembered what you said about the power setting Pepp after you mentioned it of course. It didnt change the display in CPU-Z but I loaded SandraSoft after and everything reported OK on that so maybe its a glitch with a new chip for CPU-Z?
    I used the same method (F10 to save, press Y to confirm, then ENTER) to save that CPU EIST setting (and it stuck) as I did when I tried to set the memory timings that didnt stick. I'll have to play around some more tomorrow I guess.

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

Deadrum33, let us know how that CPU works out and what it OCs to

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Pepp77,
    He has C1E enabled which cuts the multi to 6x at idle. EIST (Speedstep) should be turned off also!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

ZoSoIV,

you will need a fan for the TR ultra 120 extreme. I went with a sythe SFF21F 120mm.

Oh and BTW, I am on my new rig right now.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    On a GigaByte MB, you have to hit Ctrl + F1 to be able to change the bus speeds or the memory settings and save them. Just hit Ctrl + F1 at the first setup screen, make your changes and then they will stick!

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

so i just can replace the side fan thats on the Antec 900 with the TR ultra 120 extreme?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure what that post means. A side fan isn't really that necessary for the 900, but having a fan on your CPU cooler is quite important to get air forced through the fins (sure there's plenty of ambient airflow but you need pressure to get it through the heatsink)

18. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Ive heard this before but I didnt need to.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

ZoSoIV, if you have a 120mm fan in the side of you 900, then yes you can stick that on the TR Ultra 120.

Mort, glad you got it running already! Are you going to run any benches?

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

no not for a while. I'll be loading in software for a while yet. It's gonna stay at stock 3.0ghz for a couple weeks until it gets good n broke in. this mobo is LOADED with features.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.