1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (new) Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by creaky, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I can't remember what size fan on the side of my Antec 900,I will check, thanks for the info

2. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

Hey guys, i need an answer pretty quickly. I used ASUS Update with i think the newset 1012 BIOS. It did the 3 bars fine and then asked me to Restart. I did and before it brought up the p5k-e logo it just turned off and im now faced with a monitor goining in and out searching for a signal and the PC powered on.

What do i do?

Shut it down and switch it back on?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greg16,
    Try turning off the power supply and remove the plug, then let it sit for a few minutes. If that doesn't work, pull the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and short the CMOS jumpers for a few seconds, before you re-install the battery. Hopefully you didn't frag the bios chip or it's RMA time!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. GregI6

GregI6 Regular member

So turn the power supply off first?
    Not bother with switching PC off?

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Greg16,
    No, just shut it down by the power supply switch and pull the power cord out of the PS for about 5 minutes!! Damn near drove me crazy the first time it happened to me. I thought I had blown it up! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm a little upset. A week after I buy a brand new CPU, theres a sale at the same place for $50 off an online order!!! http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0286543
    There are more sales on other items but they had the nerve to send me an email advertising it a week after I purchase it!!! I know it was a robot spamming all the names on their customers list, but still it shows my luck.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's happened to all of us at some point, it's something you have to get used to...

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Deadrum ..... LOL.

I did that with a psu one time BUT it was the next day. They had another $10 off of a great price already. lol. I wrote them an email saying they really hurt my feelings and inquired if they could extend the price to me since it was only 24hrs since they sold the psu to me. lol. NO!! was their answer since I NEVER received an email from them about it. :p

OK all these folks with "new" builds.... How's things going and do you have any "stock" benchies yet?? ;)

....gm

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I havent really messed with anything since my last plea for help LOL.
    I did use theonejrs advice and turned off the CPU's energy features but thats about it. I will go back and play with the <CTRL>+<F1> settings later, I read that it opened advanced settings in the mobo manual but really havent moved anything else yet.
    Any particular programs bench you want to see at stock??? :)

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have another question. Since I don't have any conductive paint and I don't feel like using solder on this motherboard I didn't do the vdrop mod.

What's more important, the voltage you set in you BIOS or the one the CPU is actually getting. When I set it to 1.5 in the BIOS then it's about 1.45, 1.46 in Everest. Is it safe to increase voltage to the point where it's 1.5 in everest?

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

the count down is on. 2 more days and the Big Red Machine comes off the DL..lol

my dad has offered to buy me a monitor for my new rig.i kinda like the HP monitors, for the fact of the built in speakers. once again take in mind i dont do any kind of major gameing. he said he would spend $250 i got this 19 in HP found for 229. what ya all think/suggest

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=1&id=1172880154959#productdetail

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That's the same one I linked to except the one on eBay is black.

This Acer monitor gets good reviews, is 22 inches and only 230! The only cons I've read is that it doesn't have extra features like speakers, USB ports, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094

BTW if you want to get to blocked sites at work go to

100cute.com/phproxy

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

nice try boozer. they got that blocked also.. i think they got a filter iif the word proxy shows up its blocked.. i had a few goodones i used a few months but they are blocked also..lol

i have a 15in flat panel lcd HP (square) now and i love it. so a 19in widescreen will be like a slice of heaven... think i might go with it and just get it at best buy when he is ready to get it for me.. no waiting with best buy. they have about 30 of them there

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Personally I would get the 22inch. It looks really good for that price.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea same price as the HP im looking at but the reviews on it arent to good. it prolly wont be until this weekend that i get it so i can still look around at different ones

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree the Dell lcd monitors are probably the best. I happen to like viewsonic. I won't buy anything acer but that's just my opinion.

I got all my software and proggys loaded. just waiting for my 4 in 3 device to get here to mount my other hdd's and aditional front fan. it should be here tomorrow. I did get the fans for my side fan panel but their not installed yet.

my cpu is running at 33C now and the mobo is at 30C. I predict those will both come down some more after I get all the fans installed and button up the case. there's no side panels on it now.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

abuzar1,
    You want the everest reading as it doesn't make any difference what numbers you set in the bios, it what the CPU voltage actually is that's important.

First off, what processor are you planning on running at 1.5v? You have to be aware of the different maximum voltages for different model Intel CPUs, and it's very important to stay within reasonable distance of it. You don't want to go running an E8400 or it's Xeon counterpart, the E3110 at 1.5V! LOL!! That would not be a good thing!

Best Regards,
    Russ

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.